TSN: Craig Button: I don't think the Leafs are Stanley Cup Contenders

forecheck

May 14, 2007
The team has looked tired lately with the schedule and injuries yes but their defensive numbers are still around average and a marked improvement on last years averages (and all recent history).

Look at a team like the Islanders. Why are they so hot? Is it their sparkling D?

Toronto vs. NYI 5v5 (score and venue adjusted) defense + goaltending so far:

Toronto:
Corsi against/60: 55.74 (22nd lowest in the NHL)
Shots against/60: 31.32 (22nd lowest in the NHL)
Scoring chances against/60: 24.9 (14th lowest in the NHL)
High Danger chances against/60: 9.38 (17th lowest in the NHL)

Save %: 89.78 (27th lowest in the NHL)

Islanders:
Corsi against/60: 61.08 (29th lowest in the NHL)
Shots against/60: 30.38 (19th lowest in the NHL)
Scoring chances against/60: 29.63 (29th lowest in the NHL)
High Danger chances against/60: 10.18 (24th lowest in the NHL)
TIRED! F OFF They are being paid handsoimely not to be TIRED!
Save%: 93.50 ( 6th best in the NHL)

Hmmm, I wonder what the big difference is (other than the fact the Leafs give up far fewer scoring chances)

The willful ignorance of much of the media and a ton of folks to all of sudden both forget the importance of goaltending and recognize the Leafs have been a bottom of the league team in this regard is astounding.

October Freddy has been 2019 Freddy and the backups have been trash this calendar year and yet our "knowledgeable" fanbase and media keeps missing it. Its been a bigger problem than everything else combined IMO.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
In your scenario you move Nylander, and still have Ceci on the top pair. It addresses nothing.

you need to let go of that myth LeaFland was flat out wrong about this guy, Ceci is not the devil wearing rubber boots without a stick playing D, stop fiddling with your phone during games and actually pay 100% attention to what's going on on the ice.

It would take a hell of a lot more than Nylander to get Manson.
you missed the part about picking up 2m in cap space part and improving the D by adding another physical element, good one Randy

tYsOn BaRrIe Is ThE aNsWeR

btw how does one become a -5 while their partner is a +4 this early into the season?

cool typerletters:sarcasm:, 2002 called they want their joke back:nod:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I still listen to the odd radio show and read the odd article but one of the best things I ever did was to tune most of it out and watch the games and look at the stats for myself,

You really do start to realize than none of these guys know what they are talking about half the time and are vary lock-step with their opinions for reasons no matter how wrong they turn out to be....and they really do not suffer any repercussions when they are dead wrong that would get most people fired in almost any other profession.

Constantly wrong, never admit it, and then want you to think they are infallible all over again....and they have a ton of people willing to lap it up show after show.

Is it any wonder journalists (sports or not) now rank lower than lawyers and used car salesmen on public trust polls.

Button is a failed hockey guy who has had some really awful takes over the years and I really dont think he's any smarter than most of the regulars around here. Not worth listening to most of the time and he's out to lunch here as well.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still listen to the odd radio show and read the odd article but one of the best things I ever did was to tune most of it out and watch the games and look at the stats for myself,

You really do start to realize than none of these guys know what they are talking about half the time and are vary lock-step with their opinions for reasons no matter how wrong they turn out to be....and they really do not suffer any repercussions when they are dead wrong that would get most people fired in almost any other profession.

Constantly wrong, never admit it, and then want you to think they are infallible all over again....and they have a ton of people willing to lap it up show after show.

Is it any wonder journalists (sports or not) now rank lower than lawyers and used car salesmen on public trust polls.

Button is a failed hockey guy who has had some really awful takes over the years and I really dont think he's any smarter than most of the regulars around here. Not worth listening to most of the time and he's out to lunch here as well.

But he is right on this one, so far.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Watching the Leafs play and looking at the standings and its hard to dispute Button's position.

They have only beaten a single playoff team all season and that required OT to be Boston.

Tampa is below the Leafs in the standings.

Which i think is good evidence that we shouldnt necessarily use esely season points as a main metric to determine whonis and isnt s contender.

Clearly both teams not playing well though. No argument there.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tampa is below the Leafs in the standings.

Which i think is good evidence that we shouldnt necessarily use esely season points as a main metric to determine whonis and isnt s contender.

Clearly both teams not playing well though. No argument there.

One team had the best 5v5 save% in the NHL much of October saving them from battling Ottawa for last....the other was near the bottom of the league in the same category hindering their overall record despite improved underlying defensive numbers.

I know which team I would rather be.

Reactions: Menzinger

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
you missed the part about picking up 2m in cap space part and improving the D by adding another physical element, good one Randy

How in the hell do you think I missed that? There is no chance under any circumstances that Anaheim would consider trading Manson for a return as small as Nylander. No chance. Not even close. Never going to happen. So that Toronto would pick up 2M in cap space and improve their D by adding a physical element through a trade that the other team would not consider under any circumstances is completely irrelevant - and therefore it doesn't need to be repeated as a benefit to the Leafs in a trade that the other team would not consider under any circumstances.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
How in the hell do you think I missed that? There is no chance under any circumstances that Anaheim would consider trading Manson for a return as small as Nylander. No chance. Not even close. Never going to happen. So that Toronto would pick up 2M in cap space and improve their D by adding a physical element through a trade that the other team would not consider under any circumstances is completely irrelevant - and therefore it doesn't need to be repeated as a benefit to the Leafs in a trade that the other team would not consider under any circumstances.
chill hockey guy, it sounded like you thought the Leafs we're giving away the golden boy, be cool bro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->