Speculation: Craig Berube Interested in Coaching the Sens

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
wait till the offseason and see who shakes loose. Sullivan? Brindamour? There will be some surprise fires when teams fail in the playoffs.

Berube would be good aswell. It seems like the search has begun. I don't mind that the sens took time to see how this team operates and having Martin lead the search will also help with knowing what kinda coach these players need

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
wait till the offseason and see who shakes loose. Sullivan? Brindamour? There will be some surprise fires when teams fail in the playoffs.

Berube would be good aswell. It seems like the search has begun. I don't mind that the sens took time to see how this team operates and having Martin lead the search will also help with knowing what kinda coach these players need
Pipe dream.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Does anyone think, if the rookie GM would have made the necessary offer to bring in Berube, with 57 games remaining in this season, and had the team “go to work”, instead of J Martin having them “go back to school”, that the Sens would be in a worse position now?

I also believe with Berube, they would they be in a much better position at the beginning of training camp this coming fall, than with whomever is the next coach…. 57 games would have allowed Berube to help with the retooling, tweaking, rebuilding or whatever the rookie GM has in mind.

For me, the rookie GM has someone in mind, an AHL or an NHL assistant coach, that he wants to bring in during the off-season….. and this is not what this team needs, a rookie head coach…..
Again, you're assuming Berbue was willing to sign here after DJ was fired. Maybe he wants to coach a team that is about to enter or is in their window? You're talking in absolutes, like the choice was 100% ours.

Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hard nosed, expects the forwards to help out the D a lot, wants his team to be aggressive, and play a heavy style, he is intense and demanding, but doesn't expect everyone to be clones and all play the same, he tailors expectations to the skill set of the player while still keeping expectations high. Players need to earn their rope,
SOUNDS perfect.

I'm not convinced that anyone can motivate these clowns. Too busy having a team full of overpaid best friends who don't hold themselves, or eachother accountable.
I tend to agree. I wonder how hard the practices are

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hard nosed, expects the forwards to help out the D a lot, wants his team to be aggressive, and play a heavy style, he is intense and demanding, but doesn't expect everyone to be clones and all play the same, he tailors expectations to the skill set of the player while still keeping expectations high. Players need to earn their rope,
Is he demanding like Tortorella that players play strong defensively, take few high risks, and block shots?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is he demanding like Tortorella that players play strong defensively, take few high risks, and block shots?
I'm mostly going off what players have said about him, so idk to what degree it lines up with Tortarella, but watching StL on their cup run, they certainly played d first. They didn't really have a roster of risk takers, so idk it was a coaching thing or just a nature of the group. I don't think they were known for blocking a lot of shots, but they also weren't giving up a lot of shots,

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Probably .... but it is better to wait to see whose actually available then to hire the first vet coach available imo
I agree. It is one of the most important decisions that the POHO/GM will make and it will have effects for about 2 or 3 years at least. I hope the owner and POHO/GM hire an experienced and previously successful NHL coach rather than an inexperienced coach or an NHL coach that has failed before or had "issues". I also think it should be a coach who has a strong preference for "coachable" players who will play a strong defensive game and who would hold players accountable for doing it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm mostly going off what players have said about him, so idk to what degree it lines up with Tortarella, but watching StL on their cup run, they certainly played d first. They didn't really have a roster of risk takers, so idk it was a coaching thing or just a nature of the group. I don't think they were known for blocking a lot of shots, but they also weren't giving up a lot of shots,
I don't have a view on Berube because I have not watched his team play. Tortorella on the other hand seems to be a very demanding coach who focuses on defense first. I think that defensive focus is really needed in Ottawa. I am frustrated watching the forwards stand in the slot watching the puck. We need stronger defensive play by the Fs to either cover a man or block passing lanes, etc. We also need at least 2 big, physical, tough defensemen to defend the front of the net and improved play from our D (coaching and roster are the issues).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gruden will be our the coach been saying this forever - Has history with Andlauer just like Staios did.

If they wanted Berube or Roy, one would have been hired long time ago (Roy before he went to NYI) they are waiting on Gruden IMO.

Yeah this is happening.

Old boys club will always win out over "best in class".

Our rookie GM hiring yet another rookie coach because he's familiar with him should make the fanbase revolt, but we're the doormat of NHL fanbases and people would be defending the move within minutes of expressing tepid criticism and slight disappointment.

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57 and Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Again, you're assuming Berbue was willing to sign here after DJ was fired. Maybe he wants to coach a team that is about to enter or is in their window? You're talking in absolutes, like the choice was 100% ours.
In many posts I’ve stated I did not know if anyone other than J Martin was approached…. And many posts I said the rookie GM should have offered whatever it took to bring in Berube, or some other Coach with similar NHL experience….

But we will never know if this crossed his mind, or just decided to write off this season, with 57 games to go, knowing he could more than likely get a free pass from most fans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Berube interview April 2023
"He's intense, demanding," Alex Pietrangelo told stlouisblues.com last February. "But he also understands when the boys need a mental and physical break. He's been really good at managing us in games from behind the bench and managing days away from the rink.
"He expects a lot. I mean, he expects you to keep getting better every day, regardless of how many games we've won lately or how many in a row we've won. Every single day, he wants to get better. He's demanding that of us, but it's made us a better team."
On Berube 2022

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
On Berube 2022

Interesting article…..

“Berube was in charge of the Blues farm system. That’s half the reason he was promoted to an assistant and then head coach – he already had a rapport with the younger players that he had coached with the Chicago Wolves.

So IF Berube was brought in, with 57 games remaining, at the very least he would have built a rapport with the players……. But if the scuttlebutt is correct, and SS brings Gruden into the fold, he will know next to nothing about the Sens roster, unt8l he meets them at the annual charity golf tournament in September

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah this is happening.

Old boys club will always win out over "best in class".

Our rookie GM hiring yet another rookie coach because he's familiar with him should make the fanbase revolt, but we're the doormat of NHL fanbases and people would be defending the move within minutes of expressing tepid criticism and slight disappointment.
The same fan base that stopped going and rented billboards to protest?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
In many posts I’ve stated I did not know if anyone other than J Martin was approached…. And many posts I said the rookie GM should have offered whatever it took to bring in Berube, or some other Coach with similar NHL experience….

But we will never know if this crossed his mind, or just decided to write off this season, with 57 games to go, knowing he could more than likely get a free pass from most fans.
Oh cut the crap. Its obvious you're on some kind of weird crusade.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
They're gonna go get a hard-nosed coach to teach these milk maids how to play hard? I'm not buying it. This is a skill team. The core of this roster is not capable of the style they supposedly want them to play. You have to basically unload everyone and convert the whole lineup to get what you want. Batherson, Stutzle, Norris, Sanderson, Chabot, Pinto, etc. are not guys who put the fear of God in you physically. So then what?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They're gonna go get a hard-nosed coach to teach these milk maids how to play hard? I'm not buying it. This is a skill team. The core of this roster is not capable of the style they supposedly want them to play. You have to basically unload everyone and convert the whole lineup to get what you want. Batherson, Stutzle, Norris, Sanderson, Chabot, Pinto, etc. are not guys who put the fear of God in you physically. So then what?
No team has a core of players that puts the fear of god in anyone. We don’t need that either. We need guys who engage physically, and besides Brady, Pinto and Stu certainly engage, they just aren’t bone crushers.

We can add those fearful guys as a second ring around the talent, that’s the way to go anyways. Ostapchuk, Kastelic, Kleven, are all guys who like to hit, Grieg throws big hits at times, and so does Zub. We need some tougher guys on the back end for sure.

I think the biggest effect on toughness will be the coaching staff. Jacque has never been big on the toughness side of things.

Point is, I don’t think this team core is soft, I think they play soft instead of dictating the physical play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Interesting article…..

“Berube was in charge of the Blues farm system. That’s half the reason he was promoted to an assistant and then head coach – he already had a rapport with the younger players that he had coached with the Chicago Wolves.

So IF Berube was brought in, with 57 games remaining, at the very least he would have built a rapport with the players……. But if the scuttlebutt is correct, and SS brings Gruden into the fold, he will know next to nothing about the Sens roster, unt8l he meets them at the annual charity golf tournament in September
We definitely do not need another rookie NHL head coach. We don't need a rookie GM either.

Hiring an experienced successful HC and GM would cost a lot of $$$. We have an owner who spends to the cap ceiling for players; hopefully he will spend $$$ for a HC and GM who have high salary demands because of their past experience and success at the NHL level.

If you want "best in class" you have to pay for it.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Oh cut the crap. Its obvious you're on some kind of weird crusade.

No, not really…. It’s a topic of conversation in the Media…

League executives told Postmedia on Wednesday they expect the list of candidates for the Senators’ job will likely include:

• John Gruden: The head coach of the Toronto Marlies, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Maple Leafs, is a familiar face to Staios. Gruden, 53, was coach of the Ontario Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs (owned by Michael Andlauer) for two seasons from 2016 to 2018 while Staios was GM. Gruden led the Bulldogs to an OHL championship before joining the New York Islanders as an assistant.
  • Todd McLellan: Fired by the Los Angeles Kings with a 23-15-10 record 48 games into this season, McLellan is well respected. He has 598 wins in 1,144 games behind an NHL bench, which includes seven seasons in San Jose, three in Edmonton and nearly five years with L.A. We’re told Staios has a lot of respect for McLellan and the job he does. A red flag: His teams missed the playoffs in six of his last nine seasons.
  • Dean Evason: He was let go by the Minnesota Wild only 19 games into the season, but enjoyed plenty of success in nearly five seasons with the club. The 59-year-old Evason has 147 wins in 251 NHL games. He was able to get the Wild to make a commitment at both ends of the ice and though he can be fiery behind the bench there’s nothing wrong with a coach showing some emotion. Those close to Evason say this job is of interest to him.
  • Craig Berube: He led the St. Louis Blues from last place in the 2018-19 campaign to a Stanley Cup. The 58-year-old was let go by the Blues only 28 games into this season with a 13-14-1 record. Berube has close ties to Poulin, but that doesn’t make him an automatic. The reality is Berube will be able to pick and choose his next destination. There’s a lot of talk among league executives that Berube is the top candidate in Toronto if the Leafs make an early exit.
  • Brad Shaw: He’s in his second season behind the bench as an associate coach with John Tortorella and the Philadelphia Flyers. If anybody asks Tortorella, he’d be the first one to tell you that Shaw, a former Senators captain, deserves another shot at being an NHL head coach. He had an 18-18-4 record as an interim coach with the Isles in 2005-08 and has gained good experience since.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Full coaching search with any available candidates needs to carry into the offseason. The best options may be employed right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, not really…. It’s a topic of conversation in the Media…

League executives told Postmedia on Wednesday they expect the list of candidates for the Senators’ job will likely include:

• John Gruden: The head coach of the Toronto Marlies, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Maple Leafs, is a familiar face to Staios. Gruden, 53, was coach of the Ontario Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs (owned by Michael Andlauer) for two seasons from 2016 to 2018 while Staios was GM. Gruden led the Bulldogs to an OHL championship before joining the New York Islanders as an assistant.
  • Todd McLellan: Fired by the Los Angeles Kings with a 23-15-10 record 48 games into this season, McLellan is well respected. He has 598 wins in 1,144 games behind an NHL bench, which includes seven seasons in San Jose, three in Edmonton and nearly five years with L.A. We’re told Staios has a lot of respect for McLellan and the job he does. A red flag: His teams missed the playoffs in six of his last nine seasons.
  • Dean Evason: He was let go by the Minnesota Wild only 19 games into the season, but enjoyed plenty of success in nearly five seasons with the club. The 59-year-old Evason has 147 wins in 251 NHL games. He was able to get the Wild to make a commitment at both ends of the ice and though he can be fiery behind the bench there’s nothing wrong with a coach showing some emotion. Those close to Evason say this job is of interest to him.
  • Craig Berube: He led the St. Louis Blues from last place in the 2018-19 campaign to a Stanley Cup. The 58-year-old was let go by the Blues only 28 games into this season with a 13-14-1 record. Berube has close ties to Poulin, but that doesn’t make him an automatic. The reality is Berube will be able to pick and choose his next destination. There’s a lot of talk among league executives that Berube is the top candidate in Toronto if the Leafs make an early exit.
  • Brad Shaw: He’s in his second season behind the bench as an associate coach with John Tortorella and the Philadelphia Flyers. If anybody asks Tortorella, he’d be the first one to tell you that Shaw, a former Senators captain, deserves another shot at being an NHL head coach. He had an 18-18-4 record as an interim coach with the Isles in 2005-08 and has gained good experience since.

Have a feeling Shaw is going to be the next Flyers coach after Torts moves upstairs in a year or two.

Berube would be a great fit in Ottawa. That team has a ton of skill but no structure whatsoever.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The golden rule of a coaching search is don’t jump at the first thing that presents itself and don’t wait until there’s only fat chicks left.

I might have mixed up different golden rules.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3