Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
It's risk mitigation I guess. There is zero chance a Greiss/Condon duo is going to provide the level of goaltending needed to keep our roster out of the bottom 2 or 3. With Anderson there is a chance - he has thrived in high shot/chance environments here before. Even if he's able to keep us hovering around 9th or 10th worst team in the league, that is huge in lowering the value of the pick we send to the Avs. If I could guarantee that pick was outside the top 8, I'd probably give up our next decade's worth of 3rd rounders.

From my perspective, if you want Anderson you can have him for almost nothing - but Ottawa can't take Greiss. We need flexibility to at least attempt to improve our goaltending through other means.
The loss of the 2019 pick is in the past. It should play no role whatsoever in present and future roster decisions.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anderson and his wife were in my dream last night, I lived in the same building as them and helped them move.

Cool story, right?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Anderson and his wife were in my dream last night, I lived in the same building as them and helped them move.

Cool story, right?

What are the Anderson's doing living in an apartment building? :sarcasm:

If the trade request is legitimate, I think it's still likely that he starts the season in Ottawa. Many factors make Andy unappealing and he'd have to have to continue his trend of one year on one year off so another team looks for a goalie with playoff experience.

In terms of possible replacements, the UFA field is thin. The cheap and experienced route would be Carter Hutton, who sported a .931 sv% last year in 32 games. Certainly not a #1 but there are worse, more expensive (Lehner) options out there.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hmmm....there was this guy out there that was pretty good. Bishott? Bisshoppe? Bishop? Oh yeah, we preferred Cory Conacher to him. Also, calling Anderson a "Long-time" Senator is a huge stretch. He has bounced around the league since he got there, he's taken months off due to injury, has been inconsistent and generally moody and has bristled at criticism. He has not done anything that Lalime or Emery have not done before him.

As for replacing him now? Right now? Right this moment? You just roll with Condon and a young goaltender. Or you sign a stopgap for a while. Hell, he likes FLA so much, flip him for Reimer if he's still there, then lead the Panthers handle him. We're not competing next year, so Andy doing his hot year helps the pick to COL, but doesn't really help us long-term. So good riddance, Craig.

How can one post be so wrong?

Anderson IS a long time Senator. 8 seasons is more than most spend on any team.

Anderson HAS put up better numbers than Emery and Lalime, and on some much crappier teams

Moody? I'm not sure I've ever heard one bad thing about him aside from his apparent disdain of the media. But most goalies are like that aren't they?

I'll give you the injuries. He does seem to get some random injuries here and there but he's only been injured long-term during two seasons as we can't count when he took time off to be with his wife.

Look, I'm not even advocating we absolutely keep him, he obviously doesn't want to stick around so if we can find a trading partner(and knowing Dorion we will, just not a good one) you have to grant his wish. But to say "good riddance" for a guy that's stood on his head when the defense in front of him was non-existent is just dumb. Don't revise history to fit your bias.

And again, it's just a bad look on the org. when a guy that's been here so long wants out. Even if he hadn't given us much of anything and been here a few seasons it would still make Ottawa seem even more toxic than it already is.

Last edited:

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
So, what do we do with guy if we can’t trade him? Does he sit at home and wait?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So, what do we do with guy if we can’t trade him? Does he sit at home and wait?

Nah, if we can't trade him he'll keep playing. I'm thinking he also made the request because his wife is in Florida and he wants to be closer to her. Won't be easy to grant that wish.

Reactions: Larionov

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't see Florida wanting him. No way they end up going with an old geezer tandem of Luongo and Anderson.

Yeah, and Reimer is cheaper than Andy. Can’t see anyone wanting Andy as a backup. Unless we retain. Andy retained for Reimer might work, but that’s assuming they view Andy as an upgrade. Seems like it wouldn’t make much of a difference, so I doubt they do it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't begrudge any player trying to get out of here at this point in time.

It does grind my gears a little when it's guys who have played terrible and/or are overpaid though. Great you've made yourself borderline un-tradeable, let's make sure we take back negative assets or take on cap dumps to give you what you want.
Don’t make a trade just because the player wants one. It needs to make sense for the team. The way Yzerman handled the Drouin situation was a work of art.

That’s where we messed up on the Spezza deal. Should have held on to him and told him to deal with it unless he accepted the trade to Nashville.

If we can’t find a deal right now that brings us any positive value back, tell Andy to play good and up his value early in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Don Brennan is no fan of Anderson.

Brennan: A quiet week, maybe, but expect lots of noise from the Senators this summer

"The Senators were never able to replace Marc Methot with another capable veteran defenceman, and they haven’t found one to replace Dion Phaneuf, either. With Karlsson on his way out, Anderson must be thinking a 37-year old coming off a bad season has no chance to rebound behind the young and iffy group of blue-liners the Senators will trot out every night.
I get that, but it still shows a lack of character on his part.
Anderson has been referred to as a leader on this team. By coaches, teammates and himself. Well, leaders don’t run away when things get tough, especially from a city that has poured love all over him and his family.
Also, the two-year extension Anderson signed doesn’t even kick in until next season. With a raise. It’s different circumstances, but this feels a little Alexei Yashin-ish and Dany Heatley-ish.
Isn’t it a little irksome to hear of a guy expressing a desire to move after shaking hands on a deal to stay? Wanting to be traded after getting a contract with a no-trade clause?
"

There's bitterness all over his article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad