Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
How comfortable would you be entering into a season with no 1st round pick and a Mike Condon/Thomas Greiss goaltending duo?

This would be a brutal trade for us. Anderson has played at a very high level for us in the past. Maybe he never gets back to that level, but we know for a fact that Greiss can't get there.

Just like you guys were a tire fire so where the Isles defensively last year. Halak and Greiss' stats are not their faults. It's the fault of the coaching staff who failed at putting together anything related to a defensive scheme. The two years prior Greiss put up the following numbers:

41 GP 2.36 .925
51 GP 2.69 .913

He's more than capable of playing at a level that keeps your team in games. It's just with the Isles it's time with the new regime to move on from him.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Just like you guys were a tire fire so where the Isles defensively last year. Halak and Greiss' stats are not their faults. It's the fault of the coaching staff who failed at putting together anything related to a defensive scheme.

Yeah. Except instead of hiring an experienced, quality coaching staff and trying to make our team better, Ottawa are bringing Boucher back and rumoured to be making our roster worse in an effort to cut costs.

How many saves is Thomas Greiss going to make behind a d-corps where Cody Ceci, Mark Borowiecki, Ben Harpur, Chris Wideman, and potentially Freddie Claesson are all playing regularly?

I have almost no hope whatsoever for the coming season, and trading Anderson for Greiss would probably kill even that tiny glimmer.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Yeah. Except instead of hiring an experienced, quality coaching staff and trying to make our team better, Ottawa are bringing Boucher back and rumoured to be making our roster worse in an effort to cut costs.

How many saves is Thomas Greiss going to make behind a d-corps where Cody Ceci, Mark Borowiecki, Ben Harpur, Chris Wideman, and potentially Freddie Claesson are all playing regularly?

I have almost no hope whatsoever for the coming season, and trading Anderson for Greiss would probably kill even that tiny glimmer.

I get what your saying. But in the end you guys lack your 1st rounder and the outlook is not that good. So what difference does it make other than adding an additional third rounder and you'll still get a similar performance?

I've lived through it as an Isles fan. It sucks. But at this point it's better to accumulate assets if the on ice product is going to be a bust.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Retaining on Anderson makes him more attractive to other teams, but I’m not sure we’re going to do that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s here next year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I get what your saying. But in the end you guys lack your 1st rounder and the outlook is not that good. So what difference does it make other than adding an additional third rounder and you'll still get a similar performance?

I've lived through it as an Isles fan. It sucks. But at this point it's better to accumulate assets if the on ice product is going to be a bust.

It's risk mitigation I guess. There is zero chance a Greiss/Condon duo is going to provide the level of goaltending needed to keep our roster out of the bottom 2 or 3. With Anderson there is a chance - he has thrived in high shot/chance environments here before. Even if he's able to keep us hovering around 9th or 10th worst team in the league, that is huge in lowering the value of the pick we send to the Avs. If I could guarantee that pick was outside the top 8, I'd probably give up our next decade's worth of 3rd rounders.

From my perspective, if you want Anderson you can have him for almost nothing - but Ottawa can't take Greiss. We need flexibility to at least attempt to improve our goaltending through other means.

Reactions: Cosmix

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Trade Condon to Chicago for Duclair and Hossa coming back in the package and then tell Anderson to get back in the net because that's how we roll in Ottawa.

/s

I heard a rumour, or maybe it was just an idea that involves Saad and Hossa to Carolina for Faulk and Darling.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sad Andy wants out, he was such a great player for us, legit too NHL goalie for many years.

I understand, but it still sucks

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hmmm....there was this guy out there that was pretty good. Bishott? Bisshoppe? Bishop? Oh yeah, we preferred Cory Conacher to him. Also, calling Anderson a "Long-time" Senator is a huge stretch. He has bounced around the league since he got there, he's taken months off due to injury, has been inconsistent and generally moody and has bristled at criticism. He has not done anything that Lalime or Emery have not done before him.

As for replacing him now? Right now? Right this moment? You just roll with Condon and a young goaltender. Or you sign a stopgap for a while. Hell, he likes FLA so much, flip him for Reimer if he's still there, then lead the Panthers handle him. We're not competing next year, so Andy doing his hot year helps the pick to COL, but doesn't really help us long-term. So good riddance, Craig.

Calling a guy who has been here for 7 years a long term player is a huge stretch? You don’t have to be drafted by a team or acquired at a young age to be considered a long time player. If you spend seven years with a team, that’s a long time. Doncha think?

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Would the Islanders be a good destination for both EK & Anderson, if the Islanders want to go for it soon, if Tavares re-signs & should Ott be unable to re-sign EK?

To NYI: EK & Anderson
To OTT: 2019 1st rd pick, Noah Dobson RD, Oliver Walhstrom RW & Johnny Boychuk RD (salary dump) (would adding K. Bellows LW be too much?)

Ottawa would need to sign a #1 goaltender from the UFA list. I like Cam Ward for 2 yrs @ $2.5-$3 mil per yr. He's experienced, used to a lot of shots, calming influence, transition until Gustavsson or Hogberg are ready to replace him.

Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur - Boychuk/Claesson

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Would the Islanders be a good destination for both EK & Anderson, if the Islanders want to go for it soon, if Tavares re-signs & should Ott be unable to re-sign EK?

To NYI: EK & Anderson
To OTT: 2019 1st rd pick, Noah Dobson RD, Oliver Walhstrom RW & Johnny Boychuk RD (salary dump) (would adding K. Bellows LW be too much?)

Ottawa would need to sign a #1 goaltender from the UFA list. I like Cam Ward for 2 yrs @ $2.5-$3 mil per yr. He's experienced, used to a lot of shots, calming influence, transition until Gustavsson or Hogberg are ready to replace him.

Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur - Boychuk/Claesson

No interest in Boychuk. 34 years old with a 6 million dollar capnhit for the next 4 years. Replace Boychuk with Leddy and I might be interested.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No interest in Boychuk. 34 years old with a 6 million dollar capnhit for the next 4 years. Replace Boychuk with Leddy and I might be interested.
They are not going to give us Leddy after giving us their 2019 first & the two first rders they drafted this yr, it's too much. My thought was to buy Boychuk out after a couple of yrs or hope to trade him & retain some salary. Boychuk is a salary dump to try & balance out the money aspect of the trade for them & Boychuk is a right shot.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
They are not going to give us Leddy after giving us their 2019 first & the two first rders they drafted this yr, it's too much. My thought was to buy Boychuk out after a couple of yrs or hope to trade him & retain some salary. Boychuk is a salary dump to try & balance out the money aspect of the trade for them & Boychuk is a right shot.

We shouldn’t have to take a salary dump when giving up Karlsson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We shouldn’t have to take a salary dump when giving up Karlsson.
Do you honestly think they will take on over $10 mil in salary & not want to give some money back? They will need all the space they can get to re-sign Tavares, they will want Ottawa to take some money back IMO.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do you honestly think they will take on over $10 mil in salary & not want to give some money back? They will need all the space they can get to re-sign Tavares, they will want Ottawa to take some money back IMO.

I’m not against taking money back. Like Leddy for example. I just don’t want a 34 year old with 4 years left on his deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’m not against taking money back. Like Leddy for example. I just don’t want a 34 year old with 4 years left on his deal.
But don't you think that is too much for the Islanders to give up? I'd be very surprised if Ottawa got that much, I think that would be a deal breaker, but what do I know.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
But don't you think that is too much for the Islanders to give up? I'd be very surprised if Ottawa got that much, I think that would be a deal breaker, but what do I know.

Honestly, I’d be surprised if the Isles could afford both Karlsson and Tavares. I’d also be surprised if Karlsson wanted to commit there long term. I don’t see it as a fit to be honest. I still think if Karlsson gets moved, Vegas makes the most sense.

Reactions: aragorn

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wish players that "wish to be traded" approach it in a different way. Ask their teams if they could released form their contracts and be UFAs. If the teams agree, great. See if Andersen wants to take a chance on not being paid 4.75m X 2 years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I wish players that "wish to be traded" approach it in a different way. Ask their teams if they could released form their contracts and be UFAs. If the teams agree, great. See if Andersen wants to take a chance on not being paid 4.75m X 2 years.
100%. That shit contract hasnt even kicked in, he likely has negative value, and now he requests a trade? How about no unless your agent can go out and find someone to take you without a salary dump coming back or giving up an asset with you. Basically, we will give you away, but thats it, you want out otherwise? Lets terminate the contract.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wheres the source of andy directly requesting a trade himself?

Also: hasn't his agent basically denied it?

I mean... maybe he has requested it, maybe he hasn't. Just saying that we still have conflicting info, nothing is concrete on this one way or the other.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Anderson was asked directly about the rebuild at the awards and he said he was on board and you never know what happens with a hot start or something to that effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad