Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So going into the final year of your contract, the team gives you a 35+ contract extension for two seasons that you clearly don't deserve at all. You then proceed to play like absolute garbage all year long - one of the worst goalies in the league via eye test and save percentage, continually giving up soft back breaking goals. And now you request a trade out of Ottawa? Lol.

I have never liked Anderson as a goalie. I had a great deal of sympathy for him and his wife last season with her health issues, and would hope for nothing but the best for them in that regard going forward.

I wanted to keep Lehner over the proposed Anderson/Hammond duo a few years ago. And I'd still rather have Lehner now. I have no issue with Anderson being traded. He's long been overrated. See ya.

You prefer the goalie with the silver spoon given every opportunity in life and the best of the best training since he was a baby and still can’t cut it on one of the worst teams in the NHL? Ok then.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Anderson is the best senators goalie ever, I love him. That said, we need to move on from him and hopefully Condon. I hope we can find someone to take him but I'm not sure he has any value right now.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I know everyone says he sucks, good riddance, or whatever. I get that part. But I don't like the optics of this.

Agreed 100%. I try not to get attached to players to the point that is blurs my sense of what's right for the team, but this one doesn't smell right. It's like a break up, but Andy dumped us. I know his play tailed off big time last year (he wasn't alone), but he was one of the good ones on the team.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If his agent can find a buyer willing to give the Sens something of value, then the Sens should grant his request.

If there is no value added deal from a Sens point of view, the team should tell him to shut up and play well enough so that he has positive value at some point in the future.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Given Andy's likes on Instagram and Twitter I believe the org might be afraid to trade him. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy that gives a crap what ownership feels, he might throw a match over his shoulder while leaving the building. I personally think it would be hilarious. Most players would never do this as it would hurt their future prospects in the league, Andy literally has nothing to lose as this will be his last contract regardless.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
You prefer the goalie with the silver spoon given every opportunity in life and the best of the best training since he was a baby and still can’t cut it on one of the worst teams in the NHL? Ok then.

Yes I do. I concede Lehner has his own issues, especially his hot headed demeanor/attitude, but I still believe he is far more talented than Anderson and has the ability to be a post-hype guy that breaks out in the right situation like Dubnyk has after a few failed stops.

Buffalo has been an absolute tire fire ever since Lehner has been there. They have been terribly defensively going on 4 years. No goalie is going to have much success playing with the supporting cast that has continually had Buffalo picking in the top 5.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If his agent can find a buyer willing to give the Sens something of value, then the Sens should grant his request.

If there is no value added deal from a Sens point of view, the team should tell him to shut up and play well enough so that he has positive value at some point in the future.

That doesn’t seem like good GMing. Shut up and play?

Players are allowed to request trades and teams are allowed to say no. If Ottawa can’t find a deal that works I am sure they will tell Anderson that they can’t seal him at this time.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Will probably be forced to attach a quality asset to move him, no choice to move him now, can't have him in the lockerroom next year.

#22 overall or 2nd round 2019 + Anderson for a cap dump.

I 100 believe we'll be able to move him. I don't think we'll be able to be make a trade that makes us directly better. We'll probably have to take back another bad contract. It might be a forward or a D. So we'll get someone who is overpaid but can either play in our bottom 6 or on our bottom pairing, and we'll open up a spot to bring in a free agent or a goalie from a different trade as our starter.

There's plenty of teams that need goalies, and anybody who scouted Anderson to close out the season would have seen that he's still capable of a high level of play, and that there is a major consistency issue that has to be addressed. He has a reputation as a playoff performer. If I am a rival GM of a goalie needy team, and I can get Anderson for effectively no assets while subsidizing his bad cap hit by dumping a nearly as bad contract on the Senators, I make that move.

An idea I've floated in other threads is Anderson for Hossa. Although I can't remember the source or how legit it is, I read in the trade thread that CHI is apparently unwilling to package an asset with Hossa to give him up because of the perception that we need him to reach the cap floor just as badly as they need to clear the cap hit. If that is true, considering CHI apparently is in need of a goalie due to the Crawford situation, a swap of Hossa for Anderson would help both sides out. It'd be a cap in/cap out deal for Chicago, while the Senators would clear almost the entirety of Anderson's contract since Hossa is only owed 1M per season in real money. Win-win.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Something around him and Mike Stone could make sense. Calgary could use the "stability" in net.

Hossa could make sense, too.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's mostly been excellent in the playoffs for us (yeah he had a few weak series too) so depending on the price I could see him get moved.

Problem is, can Condon be our starter? That is a tough sell.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Bye bud, thanks for being the best goalie in franchise history.

On to bigger and younger tings.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He's mostly been excellent in the playoffs for us (yeah he had a few weak series too) so depending on the price I could see him get moved.

Problem is, can Condon be our starter? That is a tough sell.

I could see us making a move for Grubauer - if not, a guy like Khudobin or Hutton could be a decent short-term addition. Hell, even Kari. None of them have the single-season upside that Andy might have but I can’t see any of them being as bad as what we got from him last season.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I know it's a **** show, but when you're one of the top 3 reasons the team was as bad as they were, I mean, how about look in the mirror instead of asking for a trade when it's clear you're just a bad salary at this point.

Maybe he doesn’t want to stick around and play for organizations when they turn to garbage? He asked to leave Colorado too and it was probably the smartest career move he ever made.

He’s a goalie so he’s one of the smart athletes. :D

Meanwhile Mark Stone is all in! Poor dumb bastard.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe he doesn’t want to stick around and play for organizations when they turn to garbage? He asked to leave Colorado too and it was probably the smartest career move he ever made.

He’s a goalie so he’s one of the smart athletes. :D

Meanwhile Mark Stone is all in! Poor dumb bastard.
Lol, when the going gets tough... RUN!!!

I hate to pile on the guy because he's been through a lot and given us a lot, but he was absolutely terrible last year right there with Condon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad