Player Discussion Craig Anderson Appreciation Thread

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Craig Anderson

I guarantee you when he comes back, he'll go on a stupid run maintaining a sv% 930+ for like the rest of the season... it's .924 now, I could see him pushing it up to .930

When he misses time he just comes back and obliterates and you know how his personality is... that guys driven

;)

Beast

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
.930 save percentage

2.26 ga

Having a very good season so far despite missing 2 months.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Anderson dictates how far Ottawa goes in the playoffs.

The Stanley Cup finals has a long and storied history of good/mediocre teams making the finals over great ones thanks to goal-tending.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Andy's numbers prior to his departure were good. Those numbers were posted behind a team struggling to learn a new system. Since his return his numbers have been extraordinary behind a team that is playing that system well. Two things jump out at me from his numbers since his return: how good Andy truly is when playing behind a system that actually works and just how pedestrian Condon is.

For me the thoughts on Condon were always there but I admit to being wowed by Anderson. I always had him pegged as a lower end #1 ( that is prone to hot stretches) but his stock has risen a lot for me.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Andy's numbers prior to his departure were good. Those numbers were posted behind a team struggling to learn a new system. Since his return his numbers have been extraordinary behind a team that is playing that system well. Two things jump out at me from his numbers since his return: how good Andy truly is when playing behind a system that actually works and just how pedestrian Condon is.

For me the thoughts on Condon were always there but I admit to being wowed by Anderson. I always had him pegged as a lower end #1 ( that is prone to hot stretches) but his stock has risen a lot for me.

Come on man, Anderson is spectacular we can agree, but why throw the guy that saved our season under the bus? Don't be like habs fans.

Condon isn't a #1, but he's an extremely capable backup. He's had a rough go as of late, and he knows it. But this guy played some lights out hockey for us at the time we needed it most, so it just looks classless to me to pile on him unnecessarily.

He did his job and then some.

Ask Bill Peters if we have a quality backup goalie :sarcasm:

https://www.google.ca/amp/nesn.com/...s-absolutely-roast-own-goalie-eddie-lack/amp/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Come on man, Anderson is spectacular we can agree, but why throw the guy that saved our season under the bus? Don't be like habs fans.

Condon isn't a #1, but he's an extremely capable backup. He's had a rough go as of late, and he knows it. But this guy played some lights out hockey for us at the time we needed it most, so it just looks classless to me to pile on him unnecessarily.

He did his job and then some.

Ask Bill Peters if we have a quality backup goalie :sarcasm:

https://www.google.ca/amp/nesn.com/...s-absolutely-roast-own-goalie-eddie-lack/amp/

yes he did do his job for us. but I'm not doing a Johnny come lately thing here. I was not pleased with Condon throughout his run and mY post history on that is clear. As for the Habs I think the fact we survived a 30 + game stretch with Condon whereas they wilted speaks a lot to the strengths of the 2 teams

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
yes he did do his job for us. but I'm not doing a Johnny come lately thing here. I was not pleased with Condon throughout his run and mY post history on that is clear. As for the Habs I think the fact we survived a 30 + game stretch with Condon whereas they wilted speaks a lot to the strengths of the 2 teams

Well all I can say is that your a hard guy to please if you were unhappy with him during his run (where he picked up 4 shutouts...), where we won a lot of games due to his strong play.

He's backup goalie, honestly man, what do you really expect here?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well all I can say is that your a hard guy to please if you were unhappy with him during his run (where he picked up 4 shutouts...), where we won a lot of games due to his strong play.

He's backup goalie, honestly man, what do you really expect here?

He's only happy with jumped up ECHL goalies like Hammond

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the guy is an AHL / backup level goalie that got put in the position of having to be a starter. Ya he had 4 shutouts, he also cost us some games and some points. I think we'd be another 5 points ahead of our pace had the Anderson affair not happened.

Bottom line, I think Condon was successful behind a team that was defensively playing quite well.

To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for Hammond. He had his run and it was awesome. He didn't lose his job because he got outplayed, he lost his job because he couldn't stay healthy. And he's got another significant injury now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
the guy is an AHL / backup level goalie that got put in the position of having to be a starter. Ya he had 4 shutouts, he also cost us some games and some points. I think we'd be another 5 points ahead of our pace had the Anderson affair not happened.

Bottom line, I think Condon was successful behind a team that was defensively playing quite well.

To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for Hammond. He had his run and it was awesome. He didn't lose his job because he got outplayed, he lost his job because he couldn't stay healthy. And he's got another significant injury now.

If Anderson had been playing the entire time, he would have had off-games as well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If Anderson had been playing the entire time, he would have had off-games as well.

sure....but there is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG difference between Condon's 910 save percentage and Anderson's 930. Anderson has also had his off games in the games he has played.

Applying Anderson's 930 to Condon's shot total is an 18 goal difference, roughly 1/2 goal per game. How many points do you think those 18 goals against were worth in the standings? 10? 12? It's subjective for sure, but the difference is significant. You can ask how many points did he win and that is valid, but those points are wrapped up and baked in to the 910 save percentage. I don't like the "take away game" as in take away a players best performances, but you can do the math on that and see where the numbers lie without the shutouts added.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we should be damn grateful to have both a very good #1 goalie & a very good backup behind Anderson to give him time off when he needs it & to give the players the same confidence when he is in the nets. The players now know that on any given night either of their goalies can steal games & play well enough to win anywhere at anytime & it will be up to them to play their best too. No excuses now, they have depth, they have goaltending & they have a decent defence corps & a good system to follow. It's up to the guys up front to pull their weight, play consistently & put up the pts when it's required to win.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol.

Condon also played a lot of games vs much harder teams. He's a backup but damn did he give us starter quality performances especially vs the likes of NYR, MTL, SJ, CHI etc.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think there's any shame in saying that Condon has been a solid number 2 for us. He's come in and done an excellent job in that role when needed.

He was also good enough, and enough of a battler to give us a long run of solid games, while inspiring elevated play in our other roster players.

I don't think you can really describe a better back up goalie outside of a young number one fighting to be a starter.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Anderson is about to break most of Lalime's club records of longevity in the next month or so (GP, W, L, Mins, etc).

I was curious about shots against though, because we know that Andy has faced a lot.
Anderson = 32.5 / 60 mins
1993-95 = 31.5 / 60 (Billington, Beaupre, Sidorkiewicz)
2006-2008 = 29.5 (Emery, Gerber)
2009-2011 = 28.7 (Elliott, Leclaire, Auld)
1996-00 = 25.5 / 60 (Rhodes, Tugnutt)
2000-2004 = 25.2 (Lalime)

Anderson face more shots per game than the goalies playing on an expansion team during 3 of the highest scoring seasons since Ottawa came back into the league. That's insane. Andy's been by far the most stable goalie we've ever had.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

I don't, he lost his job because he's not an NHL quality goalie - he just went on a hot streak, completely out of the blue, at the start of his career - Remember Brian Boucher getting 7 shutouts in a row?

Condon did more than good whilst he had the starting job, and I have absolutely no faults with his play.

-------------------------

As for Anderson, I've always maintained he's a top-15 goalie in the league that's massively underrated by fans across the league. But regardless of how good his stats will appear this season "small sample size" etc will be the words thrown out by bitter fans. I can honestly say that Anderson is the best goalie we've had (Sure, Hasek was the more skilled goalie - but only what, 40 games?).

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Since his return on Feb 11 Andy has been the best goalie in the NHL Among goalies with the same or more starts (8).

6 wins, 1.75 GAA, 946 save %.

The score has a write up on it, but I can't link to the app.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just saw from Andy's wife's blog post that she is doing a second round of chemo. I was under the impression that she was done with that, but clearly that is not the case. We should consider ourselves very lucky that he is still with the team under these circumstances, as it would have been totally understandable had he taken another leave. This family is fighting a battle that very few people can understand - I certainly can't pretend to truly comprehend how tough it must be...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad