Post-Game Talk: Craig Adams was missed in this one but not really, Panthers 1 - Pens 5

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
so what I got from that post-game interview from MJ is that Adams won't be healthy-scratched anymore this season, and Malkin will start being used on the PK...

I wouldn't bank on Malkin being used on the PK anything more than once in a blue moon. I know what MJ said, but he said lots of things.

Your interpretation of his comments regarding Adams is spot on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you want to keep fresh legs on the 4th line MJ, don't ever play Adams again. The "best before" on that guy's legs expired half a decade ago...and they weren't even good in their prime.

And Hornqvist's newfound effectiveness is apparently due to an injury recovery pattern of adrenaline, dip, and leveling off. Which just happened to coincide exactly with his switch to a line centered by a guy with whom he doesn't have toxic anti-chemistry.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Just noticed that despite our PP seemingly being awful for months, it's still ranked 7th in the league.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am fairly happy with how they have played the last two, with a few hiccups... I just don't trust them to keep this pace up. I still shudder to think of our depth in case someone got hurt. I still would love a move or two before the deadline, hopefully with a long term look, but if nothing else a depth guy or two.

Having said that its nice to see them actually making some intelligent moves for once. I am really on board with the "change things that don't work up a bit till you find what does" stuff

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
After watching the replay of the first goal on NHL.com, I think Crosby should get an assist. You can hear the puck get hit twice as Kulikov passes it.

penguins2946*

After watching the replay of the first goal on NHL.com, I think Crosby should get an assist. You can hear the puck get hit twice as Kulikov passes it.

No, Letang stole the puck from Kopecky (I believe) and then fed it to Hornqvist. Crosby may have touched it, but Kopecky had possession after.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
I still need someone to tell me how to feel. They go from playing the worse I've seen them play in years, to a man, up and down the line-up -- no passion, no give-a-****, no pride, no buy in -- to some of the most dominating performances they've given in years, against two teams that play a style they always choke on. I know JR threatened to trade everyone not in the core, but there's flipping a switch, and there's... jumping off a cliff naked on a dirtbike. Even the coaching improved, the breakouts were impeccable, the personnel decisions were great...

The hell happened? Kunitz?

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
Also, it's pretty clear after the past couple weeks that there's quite a bit of trouble in that lockeroom. There's no way MJ comes in guns a blazing, saying all the right things, running a great system, demoting people appropriately (AKA Kunitz to the third line) to Bylsma hockey almost overnight, for months on end, and then he turns it around right when their backs are to the wall and people start questioning if the Pens will even make the playoffs. He's made a lot of questionable and, well, horrible lineup decisions this year, but I'm choosing to be patient with him, atleast through one playoffs. I'm betting Kunitz is gone, Adam sits, etc.

There's no way, as smart as he is, that he doesn't see what we see. No way. He's probably got a ton of people in his ear, and during a long season, it makes sense to let them talk. But when the chips are down, I bet he starts doing things his way. Or, I hope so.

Like Bennet. Dollars to donuts Bennet was about to be traded but it fell through.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
No, Letang stole the puck from Kopecky (I believe) and then fed it to Hornqvist. Crosby may have touched it, but Kopecky had possession after.

Kopecky only touched the puck a single time. Assists have been given out with even more possession by the other team.

For example, Tavares got an assist on Leddy's goal from this game even though the Rangers player touches it the last two times and passes it directly to Leddy:

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20142015,2,38&lang=en

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Typical hate on Kunitz posts.

I guess no one saw him hustle really hard to cover a guy with an open scoring chance.

I guess no on saw when we were up 1 - 0 on the PP and they have a 2 on 1 and he stopped it. They score there it's anyone's game.

I'm not a big Sutter fan, but his D game the past 5 or so has really been elite. Also scored a sweet goal the game before.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013

I guess no one saw him hustle really hard to cover a guy with an open scoring chance.

I guess no on saw when we were up 1 - 0 on the PP and they have a 2 on 1 and he stopped it. They score there it's anyone's game.

I'm not a big Sutter fan, but his D game the past 5 or so has really been elite. Also scored a sweet goal the game before.
People don't hate on Kunitz because he CAN'T be an effective top 6 forward...they hate on him because it seems like he doesn't have a consistent enough compete level to be one anymore.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

I guess you missed the part where Kunitz was the one who messed up at the line to create that odd man break to start with.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon

Kunitz has been horrendous this year, the hate is warranted.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Kunitz has been horrendous this year, the hate is warranted.

Seriously.....what's your definition on "horrendous?"

I think McKenna, Fata, Glass, Arcobello, Sill, Godard et al

He's 5th on the team in scoring, tied for the team lead in PP goals and has a better shooting % than Sid and Horny.

I think we need to dump Maxim, Adams and Sill and get a few more "horrendous" players like Kunitz.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

I think McKenna, Fata, Glass, Arcobello, Sill, Godard et al

He's 5th on the team in scoring, tied for the team lead in PP goals and has a better shooting % than Sid and Horny.

I think we need to dump Maxim, Adams and Sill and get a few more "horrendous" players like Kunitz.

I agree Kunitz can still help this team but his time as a 1st line maybe even a 2nd line player should be over. Nothing wrong with being a third line winger unless your making almost 4 million the three players you mentioned are all 4th line players . Why compare them to Kunitz for what he is being paid he should be better

Last edited by a moderator:

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
+ The Pens have outscored the opposition 9-3 in the past 2 games!

+ The PP is shooting the puck again

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Until Malkin scored the 2-0 goal, we were getting slaughtered (bottom 6 humiliated) and Scuderi/Borts/Pouliot looked like they were totally overmatched.

Fleury, Fleury, Fleury!

I was big time negative about that contract extension that early with as many questionmarks as he had to him, but IF this seasons level is what he is going to bring when it matters going forward, it is an amazing coup for us.

Besides that it was lovely seeing Malkin like that, and very good games from Letang, Sid, Horny, Perron and Despres as well.

On the negative side, this is one of those games where I just cannot argue with the Sutter discontent. He was atrocious. So weak a kitten would seem ferocious in comparison - just embarasing, really.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Until Malkin scored the 2-0 goal, we were getting slaughtered (bottom 6 humiliated) and Scuderi/Borts/Pouliot looked like they were totally overmatched.

Fleury, Fleury, Fleury!

I was big time negative about that contract extension that early with as many questionmarks as he had to him, but IF this seasons level is what he is going to bring when it matters going forward, it is an amazing coup for us.

Besides that it was lovely seeing Malkin like that, and very good games from Letang, Sid, Horny, Perron and Despres as well.

On the negative side, this is one of those games where I just cannot argue with the Sutter discontent. He was atrocious. So weak a kitten would seem ferocious in comparison - just embarasing, really.

If Fleury keeps this up into the post season, I'll gladly eat all the crow available.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

An insane amount of turnovers, like losing the puck almost every single time it comes to him regardless of how much time and space he has. Not finishing checks. Not skating hard. Negative body language.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Deczola:

every member of the Penguins' top-6 was on the ice for at least one ES Goal FOR... except Chris Kunitz.

Now, +/- is a pretty worthless stat in general, but the lines were visibly different when Kunitz was off of them. When PCH was together, it was dominant. When PMC was together, it was good.

The +/- thing just supports what most of us saw. Kunitz was a hinderance.

penguins2946*

Kunitz has done basically nothing productive this year. He doesn't give an effort, he kills offensive plays, turns the puck over constantly and doesn't play the physical style he used to. I have no idea how anyone can watch him and think he's playing well. He's playing horrendous for his standards.

We have 1 week to trade him. Will it happen? Probably not, but one can dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad