Post-Game Talk: Craig Adams was missed in this one but not really, Panthers 1 - Pens 5

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Okay, so Lupul, Bozak, and Winnik for Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi?

Pretty much works under the cap, then you go get Petry and call it a day? :laugh:

I know it's somewhat a joke, but I hope the Pens have no interest in Lupul and Bozak. They are not bad players, but they are huge question marks. Can Lupul stay healthy? What kind of player is Bozak without Kessel?

I do hope they are looking at a more defensive minded player for Malkin's wing. (A younger, Hossa-lite player although I can't think of that many players that fit that criteria.)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I know it's somewhat a joke, but I hope the Pens have no interest in Lupul and Bozak. They are not bad players, but they are huge question marks. Can Lupul stay healthy? What kind of player is Bozak without Kessel?

I do hope they are looking at a more defensive minded player for Malkin's wing. (A younger, Hossa-lite player although I can't think of that many players that fit that criteria.)

I would argue that Bozak IS a bad player.

Lupul is a great player, when healthy.

If I'm taking a risk on a question mark, it's him. If they don't take that risk, I totally don't blame them.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Hey, all -- I heard Steigy and Errey mention something about something that Malkin said in the locker room, something about how they thought it showed great leadership, etc. They said it was on the ROOT pregame...which I didn't see. I missed most of what they were saying back and forth about this Malkin comment/message, but was wondering if anyone knows what they were referring to or if there's a clip of it anywhere...

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I would argue that Bozak IS a bad player.

Lupul is a great player, when healthy.

If I'm taking a risk on a question mark, it's him. If they don't take that risk, I totally don't blame them.

Lupul has never been mistaken for being a great player.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Hey, all -- I heard Steigy and Errey mention something about something that Malkin said in the locker room, something about how they thought it showed great leadership, etc. They said it was on the ROOT pregame...which I didn't see. I missed most of what they were saying back and forth about this Malkin comment/message, but was wondering if anyone knows what they were referring to or if there's a clip of it anywhere...

There you go...

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=829&cmpid=navbar

It's the offday interview with Malkin.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. I'm half joking. If a deal involved moving Kunitz and some retention, on the other hand . . . :naughty:

2. I see what you're seeing defensively. Funny thing is, when Perron replaced Kunitz, Perron-Geno-Comeau had a god awful shift, but then after that Geno started playing a more committed 200 foot game and it just carried over. I just want to see JR do something here. As much as I'd like to see things happen with the mixes on the bottom six and defense, I think addressing L2 is far and away JR's biggest imperative. If he can find a way to empower Geno like MJ finally acting like a coach has empowered Sid, then I think Sid and Geno can help this team overcome deficiencies in other areas. It's when the deficiencies are on THEIR lines that we run into problems (unless we get the perfect run of opponents like 2009).

since i just called him one, I guess I did.

Thanks for your valued input.

Oh IC . . . :laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
50-60 games of Lupul per season is better than 82 with Kunitz.

Honestly, he'd be the 3rd best forward on the Penguins and I love me some Perron and Horny. If he wasn't a sure bet to catch Ebola or shatter his femur playing miniature golf he'd be way beyond our reach.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Pretty sure they were talking about an off-day interview.

[NHL]http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=758307&catid=829[/NHL]

Someone should tell Crosby that he can prove his leadership with media interviews.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
mj talking about getting geno on the pk more :)

Talk is cheap, but we'll see. He actually could be better than Sid at the PK. Dude takes away pucks like no other when he wants.

I'm just hoping with Sid seeing PK time today, perhaps Geno in the future.. that, that could mean the phasing out of Adams.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Sill has looked a lot better the last few games.

:p:

I won't go that far but I think Sill > Adams for sure. Sill can at least, I don't know, punch some dude. Adams can pretty much just get punched. In an ideal world we wouldn't have to chose, but I guess I take Turd Sandwich over Giant Doosh. Giant Doosh has been in office way too long.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Scuderi struggles probably worse than anyone else, but so does the rest of the team. Letang, Martin, Despres, Pouliot, and Bortuzzo all turned the puck over multiple times. The forwards have similar problems.

The system is set up for flexibility to read the opposing team and allow for individual creativity. As a function of that and the Pens being new to the system as well as individual players having issues, they don't make quick decisions with the puck or without the puck for that matter. Fast, forechecking teams (NSH, NYR, etc) and neutral zone smothering teams (NYI, WSH) exacerbate the problem.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
there was a play in, I think, the 2nd period, where Despres turned the puck over, but I'm not sure what he was supposed to do.

Scuderi gave it to him behind the net (shock), Florida sent in two forecheckers. Passing to Scuderi would have been unsafe. Despres puts it hard around the boards, and a Panther steps in front of the pass at the blue line and it creates a bit of a chance.

There were 4 skaters in the Penguins' zone - 2 Panthers, 2 Penguins. There was no visible outlet. Is Despres' only move there to skate it?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
so what I got from that post-game interview from MJ is that Adams won't be healthy-scratched anymore this season, and Malkin will start being used on the PK...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Some guys look better the less they're used. Vitale would flatline if he didn't get the occasional scratch too, at least in his first couple seasons. Sill seems better as an extra forward that can give some truculence and energy in the 2nd of a back to back. Adams, meanwhile, just needs to rest his old legs, but that'll help him too.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
so what I got from that post-game interview from MJ is that Adams won't be healthy-scratched anymore this season, and Malkin will start being used on the PK...

Mmhm. I agree. I'm not sure why Geno isn't ahead of Sid, 71 is actually a good PKer unlike 87.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Flower, please do this in the playoffs. Please for the love of God do this in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad