News Article: Coyotest interested in Kyle Dubas for GM role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

I can't link to it, but I read somewhere that Lou will be consultant by the time his contract is done with the leafs.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Seems pretty much set in stone that Dubas will be the one to take over the GM job when Lou ultimately steps into an advisor role at the end of his contract.

I can't see Dubas giving up his shot at being the GM of Toronto when they win a cup to fast track his career by 2 years on a team that will have severe budget and player retention/attraction issues.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
inherit the Leafs one day after being a part of one of the greatest turn around stories with Shanny + Lou or go to a hockey graveyard market like AZ.... #nobrainer

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'm sure the conversation has been had that he's being groomed for the GM position after Lou steps down.

Lou still has the fire but he's 73 years old.. he's not staying around forever.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
one good year for dubas and the marlies and he is already having poaching options. if hunter knocks one out again this year I wonder how many teams may try to poach him

good thing we got life long leaf fans growing in the the positions

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
I realize it's just business but it really rubs me the wrong way that they want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Hopefully we flex our muscles a bit and hit them where it hurts. Maybe even put an end to revenue sharing

Good luck ending revenue sharing, thats the only way some of these fringe teams survive.

What i would love to see is an introduction of soft-cap / luxury tax system where rich teams can choose to go over the cap and the luxury tax dollars are then put into a revenue sharing pool.

This way when the Leafs are competitive and choose to keep one of their stars or sign someone new by going over the cap, they have the ability to make that decision and pay the tax.

The potential for significant revenue growth for the Leafs exists if they become perennial contenders and should be able to cover a fairly high tax.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end, there's not much story there. Been pretty clear that Dubas is just in the current position until they are ready to pass on the full-time job as Leafs GM to him. Can't imagine he'd bother leaving just so he can get that GM job a couple years early somewhere else.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

1. Arizona approached the leafs, "can we speak to kyle?"
2. Lou/shanahan goes to dubas and says "want to talk to Arizona? Or stay here and be GM in 3 years?
3. Kyle Dubas.. "**** no I'm not going to Arizona."
4. And Toronto doesn't even respond to Arizona.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
In the end, there's not much story there. Been pretty clear that Dubas is just in the current position until they are ready to pass on the full-time job as Leafs GM to him. Can't imagine he'd bother leaving just so he can get that GM job a couple years early somewhere else.

Especially considering he has the best team in the AHL full of young talent ready to populate the Leafs with, and a blank slate of a cap with the budget to actually use all of it.

Mad Brills*

We can probably close this thread:

Coyotes denied it to Friedman:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-picking-nhl-award-winners/

5. The Coyotes reached out Tuesday to deny my tweet that they had expressed an interest in Toronto assistant GM Kyle Dubas for their vacant manager position. That’s…interesting, but I’ll stand by the report. Dubas fits the profile of the “modernization” co-owner Anthony LeBlanc spoke of on Monday, as does the current assistant GM, John Chayka. (Chayka will not be promoted to the full position, though.) The buzz surrounds longtime Dallas director of scouting and player development Les Jackson. He’s got a history with Tippett and a strong reputation. Another name to keep an eye on, just in case: Chicago assistant GM Norm MacIver. He played for Arizona at the end of his career too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They can't reach out to Dubas unless they have Leafs permission anyway. That's tampering and as much so as if we expressed interest in McDavid.

Anyway, why build the Coyotes when you have unlimited resources and are in line to inherit the Leafs like King Arthur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad