News Article: Coyotest interested in Kyle Dubas for GM role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His contract is unknown. All we know is that Lamoriello signed a 3 year contract (last summer).

The plan was always to bring someone with experience to man the helm while Hunter and Dubas grow as executives in the NHL. I don't think Lamoriello was ever intended to be here longer than a few years, especially given his age. Dubas will replace Lamoriello sometime in that 3 years, with the latter going into an advisory role of some kind.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Source

Anyone know what Kyle's contract status is with the Leafs?

Good news is that Elliotte Friedman reporting that Kyle would rather stay :)

Probably realizes he's not ready, could be career suicide to leave prematurely.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Kyle is young and the Arizona job would probably only be a couple of years. Stick it out here close to home and let nature takes its course. When in doubt watch Gord Stellick on TV.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably realizes he's not ready, could be career suicide to leave prematurely.

Or he prefers to stay close to a position he knows he'll very likely get in the near future that is a lot more promising.

The Coyotes is a gig with a very muddy future, and he'd be at the mercy of the coach from the look of things.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Kyle is young and the Arizona job would probably only be a couple of years. Stick it out here close to home and let nature takes its course. When in doubt watch Gord Stellick on TV.

haha what happened with Gord Stellick?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His contract is unknown. All we know is that Lamoriello signed a 3 year contract (last summer).

The plan was always to bring someone with experience to man the helm while Hunter and Dubas grow as executives in the NHL. I don't think Lamoriello was ever intended to be here longer than a few years, especially given his age. Dubas will replace Lamoriello sometime in that 3 years, with the latter going into an advisory role of some kind.

Yeah, Lou could still be a good mentor after the fact if Dubas wants to bounce some things off of him or discuss things he has on the table, Lou is a valuable resource to use.

He isn't leaving though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Or he prefers to stay close to a position he knows he'll very likely get in the near future that is a lot more promising.

The Coyotes is a gig with a very muddy future, and he'd be at the mercy of the coach from the look of things.

No doubt. Those are things that a confident, experienced GM GM wouldn't worry about.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
But what has Dubas done in this league right? :P

Honestly he's devoted to Shanny and this braintrust. He's still learning on the job. I think he realizes he'll get more money now and eventually as Leafs Gm, than he could ever get in Arizona. He'll stay.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
I'd bet he's making more as an assistant with us, vs what he'd make as the GM for Coyotes.

Plus, the upside for what he could make as the GM here in the future would be way more!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I hope there is no truth to this. Kyle needs to stay and learn what he can from Lou, Hunter, Shanny, and Babcock then take over in 2 years.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Assistant GM job is very sheltered (Especially with Lou) and exactly the place a young exec can grow.
That being said expectations are low in Arizona and a veteran coach is in place to guard the fort, that might be a can't lose job.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I was going to say that if Arizona should sign their own young analytics savvy guy instead of trying to poach our guy, but then I remembered that they already did.

They should bugger off instead of trying to hoard them all.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The right move for him is probably to stay in Toronto for a few more seasons. MLSE offers an opportunity to build up relationships in the NHL and to learn from a Hall of Fame hockey exec. It has to be tempting to jump at a lucrative GM role immediately.

Expect to hear rumblings about interest in Sheldon Keefe as well.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He would be foolish to jump at that gig now when in 2 years time he will most likely become GM for the Leafs. Lou will not be resigned as a GM but could be kept as an advisor perhaps. But the GM job will be Dubas and he has already a lot of influence within the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad