TSN: Coyotes willing to eat cap space ahead of trade deadline

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's actually a tried and true way of manufacturing assets the Coyotes have done well with in the past. Eat cap via revenue sharing dollars to manufacture picks and assets. Lawson Crouse and the Jakob Chychrun pick were acquired this way.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
None. As I previously stated, Detroit took a 2nd for a year of Staal at 5.7m. Nemeth has an extra year on his deal, but it’s at 2.5m.

The most I’d give on top of that 3rd round pick is a 6th. There’s no reason for a young defender to be in there.
Easy pass

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I actually remember people being surprised the cost to eat Datsyuk's contract was so cheap.

Red Wings trade Datsyuk, pick to Coyotes

ARZ gets
16th overall
Datsyuk (7.5m dead cap one year)

DET gets
20th overall
53rd overall
Joe Vitale

Almost seems like fair value without Datsyuk even in the deal.

And just straight up trading Datsyuk was fair value. One team desperately needed to clear cap space and another desperately needed to add it while not having to pay.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
UFAs will go where they want to go. Half of western Canada vacations in Arizona. Low taxes, great winter weather. If they offer the money, dang right I think UFAs will consider it.

there is finite cap space post Covid. Cap is flat for a while. Years more. Half the league is using LTIR and are over the cap. These guys play more money and if Arizona offers it, sure. Many will take a long look at playing there.
Arizona will always be out of playoffs. If am the player choosing to go to a deatination where I can win a cup (most players ambition) I will pick Colorado for less salary than Arizona. Arizona would have to overpay me double the amount to get my intereat and at that point, it will be similar to these cap dumps arizona are getting but with assets back which can actually help them in a rebuild vs. over priced UFAs.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Gostisbehere returned a 2nd and a 7th and he’s been excellent for Arizona.

Ladd returned a 2nd and a 3rd and has essentially be the team’s captain. He wears an A, had been defending his teammates by dropping the gloves, playing with tons of energy and grit and leading by example.

Stralman returned Kolyachonok and a 2nd and has been more solid than Nemeth. The 2nd rounder is less valuable than Kolyachonok who was already partially developed, has been excellent in Tucson and provided a spark when called up, with a wrecking ball mentality out there.

Arizona likes getting fantastic assets for players that have actually helped the team. If you want Nemeth gone, you’ll accommodate. Seattle ought to be helping, and driving the price down, but it appears Francis is inept. Arizona is the only game in town (which makes no sense, but appears to be true).

Or you’ll have to be more realistic as Nemeth’s contract isn’t nearly as bad as those.

The Rangers aren’t in a bind.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This is one thing that affects the market here. If a team is desperate to lose a contract they will probably pay more than a team who merely wants to move a contract. This is why it's tough to pin down an exact price on how much a team should pay to move salary and contracts. And this is why the market may change from year to year.

This is one of the many reasons why the two recent expansions (Vegas and Seattle) are so different. The market changed between 2017 and 2021. Teams re-examined what they were willing to pay and dropped their offers. Francis either didn't notice or he didn't adjust. It seems like he just stopped trying once the teams told him they wouldn't give him 1st round choices. Arizona didn't give up and received a pile of 2nd round choices and some useful players on not-that-ugly contracts.

The Rangers aren’t that desperate to move him.

They could bury him in Hartford and save about half of his cap hit.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
And yet over the last decade the Coyotes have won 13 post-regular-season games, while the Oilers have won only 8, despite being gifted one bazillion top picks. Hmmm…
Coyotes have been gifted millions and still hanging by a thread financially. But go ahead take it personally :laugh:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
And yet over the last decade the Coyotes have won 13 post-regular-season games, while the Oilers have won only 8, despite being gifted one bazillion top picks. Hmmm…
How many in the last 6 yrs?

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hamonic (1x3), Ferland (LTIR, 1x3.5)Poolman (3x2.5), Pearson(2x3.25), Dickinson(2x2.65), Myers(2x6), OEL (6x7.26 with retention already!...oh wait)

Years remaining after this one X cap hit.

Any of those guys do anything for the Coyotes? None are bad to the point of me wanting to pay a major asset to dump them, but even with Lu's penalty coming off the books, Virtanen and Holtby both have an increase to their buy out rising next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad