Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago is gonna tell everyone this summer how they view Strome when he is able to sign an extension.
Yup, it's called negotiating. We better sweep our own doorstep first and see what happens with Chayka and Schmaltz. Schmaltz may be hurt but he knows damn well Chayka has to sign him because of the trade. Going to be interesting

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yup, it's called negotiating. We better sweep our own doorstep first and see what happens with Chayka and Schmaltz. Schmaltz may be hurt but he knows damn well Chayka has to sign him because of the trade. Going to be interesting
Are we fearing a offer sheet on a player who just had knee surgery and is a RFA? Take to arbitration on a 1 or 2 year deal. That’s the worse case scenario but u r at least guaranteed to have him playing in Sept. use the gap between now and arbitration date to get a deal. Coming off a knee injury Schmaltz doesn’t have as much leverage as he would have if he would have finished the season at his scoring pace with AZ. As it stands I think this is a fairly straightforward negotiation at this point.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are we fearing a offer sheet on a player who just had knee surgery and is a RFA? Take to arbitration on a 1 or 2 year deal. That’s the worse case scenario but u r at least guaranteed to have him playing in Sept. use the gap between now and arbitration date to get a deal. Coming off a knee injury Schmaltz doesn’t have as much leverage as he would have if he would have finished the season at his scoring pace with AZ. As it stands I think this is a fairly straightforward negotiation at this point.
You would think, but the way it sounds, his agent was causing waves while negotiating with Chicago.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You would think, but the way it sounds, his agent was causing waves while negotiating with Chicago.
Based on the breakout season he had last year that’s what his agent should do.

At the numbers that were reported ($6.3M) earlier in Chicago I’m honestly not thinking this is a hard negotiation; especially given what we doled out to Dvorak. Only question is term.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Forgive me if this has been raised in the discussion, I have tried to follow along but I will admit I have not read all the posts in the threads on this topic.

When someone trades for a player it is funny how that is treated differently than if you are internally developing a player. If you are internally developing a player, you make them work for everything they get, they have to earn their way up through the lineup. Nothing is handed to a player when you are developing them.

When you trade for a player, it seems like they completely miss that whole process. They are traded based on their merits and potential so there is more motivation to get a return on the investment.

That is how I see this trade. Strome had to work his way up the lineup for the Coyotes, but Strome has to show his return on the investment for the Hawks. I know this is similar to what a lot of people are saying about how Colliton is coaching Strome versus Tocchet.

Similarly, players like Schmaltz and Galenyuk are given far more second chances and opportunities than a player developed internally often receive. That's not to say that they are not better players, those two are easily among our top 6 forwards. However, the standards do not seem the same for the players acquired.

Maybe it is not always like this, maybe it should not be like this, but I know this often occurs in business. For example, a common expression in business is that if you want a promotion you have to leave the company and come back. A new asset is always more highly valued than an existing asset.
The Hawks treatment/use of Perlini kinda blows up that theory.

Reactions: _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I am pleased that you are chuckling at me and not wishing to throw rotten tomatoes my way.
It’s not easy wearing this avatar everyday.

Well, for what it's worth, I think that things were definitely at a low point before Chayka got here, even as an assistant GM. People focus so often on the NHL team, but it has been a top-to-bottom overhaul from bringing in better scouts for leagues that we gave fewer resources to, and really turning around all aspects of the player pipeline by making veterans interested in coming here (see Goligoski and the work put in to please, such as collars for his dogs) and getting some additional talent through the draft.

Not everything can always work out perfectly, but the truth of the matter is that I feel like the organization has actually started doing a complete 180 and we have some players in the pipeline who may turn into something, which is something we rarely said ever. Garland is looking like a hell of a find (between he and Bunting, I thought the latter was going to stay up and contribute more). He, Fischer, Chychrun, and Keller are still working their way in and the player whom I think may be the most intriguing still isn't Hayton - it's POJ. Look at his brother and how Mathieu has filled out; Pierre-Olivier is likely to add those same pounds and muscle, but in a package that has more skill than his brother had (at least from a draft perspective and where he was picked).

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Well, for what it's worth, I think that things were definitely at a low point before Chayka got here, even as an assistant GM. People focus so often on the NHL team, but it has been a top-to-bottom overhaul from bringing in better scouts for leagues that we gave fewer resources to, and really turning around all aspects of the player pipeline by making veterans interested in coming here (see Goligoski and the work put in to please, such as collars for his dogs) and getting some additional talent through the draft.

Not everything can always work out perfectly, but the truth of the matter is that I feel like the organization has actually started doing a complete 180 and we have some players in the pipeline who may turn into something, which is something we rarely said ever. Garland is looking like a hell of a find (between he and Bunting, I thought the latter was going to stay up and contribute more). He, Fischer, Chychrun, and Keller are still working their way in and the player whom I think may be the most intriguing still isn't Hayton - it's POJ. Look at his brother and how Mathieu has filled out; Pierre-Olivier is likely to add those same pounds and muscle, but in a package that has more skill than his brother had (at least from a draft perspective and where he was picked).

POJ is a bean pole though. That frame doesn't look like it's made to add pounds and muscle to it.

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com

Agreed, example:
In the event that we do win a draft lottery and are able to land a generational talent, we have a better chance of getting them to buy into us now. Loosing a Lindros would hurt a lot more than wheeler or Turris.
I don't think that was the case 3 years ago and many years before that.
Just as everything looks absolutely hopeless, besides the financial situation we are actually in okay shape.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Agreed, example:
In the event that we do win a draft lottery and are able to land a generational talent, we have a better chance of getting them to buy into us now. Loosing a Lindros would hurt a lot more than wheeler or Turris.
I don't think that was the case 3 years ago and many years before that.
Just as everything looks absolutely hopeless, besides the financial situation we are actually in okay shape.
Not confident there is a generational talent available at the 2019 draft. Hughes? Better bet is to trade some assets and load up on draft picks. Ideally, Chayka can acquire another 1st (pretty unlikely given the assets he has to trade).

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we get the 1st overall (unlikely to happen given Coyote Luck), we're certainly not going to trade it. It would be a 'huge' marketing opportunity, you can't give up that to attract more fans. Plus, Hughes will certainly have some highlight reel goals/assists there is no doubt. I don't think he'll hit his stride until year 4 when he will finally look like a young adult rather than a teenager. Of course, Chayka might trade him in year 3 because he's not working out as the 4th line C. (kidding :laugh: )

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Coyotes getting generational talent?! Now that's one of the more hilarious things I've ever read. They're not even going to get franchise level talent. Hell at this point I'm concerned they can't even secure first line talent.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
POJ is a bean pole though. That frame doesn't look like it's made to add pounds and muscle to it.

That's why I compared him to his brother:

2015 NHL DRAFT PLAYER SPOTLIGHT: MATHIEU JOSEPH – Saint John Sea Dogs

Weighed 164 lbs.

Mathieu Joseph Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Up to 190 lbs.

2015 video (go to site and scroll to interview after his name)

2015 NHL Draft: Tampa Bay Lightning draft review - Hockey's Future

2019 video

His brother looks a legit 20-30 lbs. bigger 3.5 years after being drafted. Not concerned at all about POJ adding weight.

Reactions: Heldig

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Caught this article by Dobber Hockey

BLACKHAWKS’ LINE of Dylan Strome (17), Artem Anisimov (15) and Patrick Kane (88) might have some of the most unappealing advanced stats the weekly ‘Lining Up’ column has seen.
They’ve controlled just 39.3% of shots taken while they’re on the ice, while generating only 39.0% of all scoring chances created. It pains me to tell you that a mere 29.7% of high-danger opportunities were created by the unit. Which means their opponents control 70.3% of those chances!
Despite all this, they’ve somehow managed to outscore the opposition 7-6 at even strength. And, Kane has 27 points in his last 14 games!! - BD

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Caught this article by Dobber Hockey

BLACKHAWKS’ LINE of Dylan Strome (17), Artem Anisimov (15) and Patrick Kane (88) might have some of the most unappealing advanced stats the weekly ‘Lining Up’ column has seen.
They’ve controlled just 39.3% of shots taken while they’re on the ice, while generating only 39.0% of all scoring chances created. It pains me to tell you that a mere 29.7% of high-danger opportunities were created by the unit. Which means their opponents control 70.3% of those chances!
Despite all this, they’ve somehow managed to outscore the opposition 7-6 at even strength. And, Kane has 27 points in his last 14 games!! - BD
This tells you how good Kane is, maybe best winger in the NHL. Without Kane, stats of his line mates might not look as good:)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Since the trade:
Dylan Strome
2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 26 8 11 19 8 -5

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Its weird to read all the handwringing still going on over this trade. Good for Strome for reviving his flatlining career, but honestly its shocking how poor the Hawks have done with the level of talent on that team.

Just watched the Hawks PP unit of Strome - Kane - Toews completely work over the Isles PK before punching one in...if Strome were unable to bounce back and produce surrounded by multiple generational talents, then his NHL future was awful bleak. Quite frankly that was never going to happen for him in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad