Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Trade Stepan to Ottawa for 2021 2nd Round Pick [from CBJ]

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah. Soderberg looked like he cares about hockey for about 20 games and I'm not sure how much more Anisinov has in the tank. Love the Haula idea.
Unfortunately Haula is gone. What about Brassard?

Dvorak
Brassard
Anisimov
Larsson

vs

Dvorak
Stepan
Larsson
Gauthier

rt

May 13, 2004
This sounds like it's really going to happen. This Ottawa analyst is friends with Stepan's dad. Sounds like Stepan would be happy to make the switch.

TSN Ottawa
Discussion begins at the 32 minute mark.

and...

TSN Ottawa
Discussion begins at the 23 minute mark.

rt

May 13, 2004
Okay - so from listening to all of that, it's obvious to me that the TSN guy in Ottawa is friends with Derek Stepan's dad, who told him Derek wants out of Arizona and they're talking to Ottawa. Also that it feels like it's going to happen pretty quick. Most likely either today, or next week. It's not a done deal or anything but he expects Anisimov and probably something like a 2nd rounder as the return.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It seems like there's a really good chance that he goes for Anisimov and one of those three 2nd rounders Ottawa has. The guy breaking this rumor seems really well connected and like he's got the real inside track here.

I'd even go for two of those seconds.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The roster now is just filled up with guys who can't be rotated out without waivers. This would make it impossible to shake it up now and then and let more of the taxi-squad in for some games. So there is a big need to trade someone out.

rt

May 13, 2004
The roster now is just filled up with guys who can't be rotated out without waivers. This would make it impossible to shake it up now and then and let more of the taxi-squad in for some games. So there is a big need to trade someone out.
This confuses me. Why would this be different than any other year?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Trading Stepan would be great for the cap-issues. I don't get the joy over "getting rid of him", though. He is a good player. A bit overpaid, but not someone I sit and hope the coach didn't wanna play that night. Big difference.
Stepan would be a quality 3c who is also good on the PK. He'll get plenty of attention at the TDL.

Reactions: lanky

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This confuses me. Why would this be different than any other year?

The players on the taxi-squad would normally play in the A. But this year they will be travelling with the team, practicing with the team, but ending up being healthy scratched every single game. I don't like that. Not if it is young possible stars. And not if it is feisty players of the more established kind, either. You can shrug, I shrug a bit my self, but I - I just don't like it.
(I assume that's how it's gonna work. I haven't read up on it. The part with them travelling and practicing with the team I mean.)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Use Hayton at center. Don't bring in some other trash.

This is where I'm at. I don't know if Hayton is going to pan out but I'd rather him or another young center they trade for gets a shot instead of another scrap heap player. We have plenty of bottom six talent on the roster. Give me someone with legit potential no matter how much of a long shot that potential is. Like a Kahun type of player I was hoping we'd sign. 25, only a couple full seasons with offensive upside.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Shawn Simpson said specifically that Stepan wasn’t demanding out or anything. Only that he’d welcome a change and would be happier with Ottawa.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't believe that Stepan is unhappy here and would prefer to be in Ottawa at all. Makes no sense. He seems to be good friends with a lot of guys on the team. He's a assistant captain 3C who gets treated like a 1C. Weather is also much better in AZ. With covid the only thing to do in Ottawa is sit inside. At least in Phoenix you could swim in your own private pool.

If we could get Anismov and a 2nd right now, I'm okay with that. Buuut I have to think later in the season, at 50% retained, Stepan could fetch a 1st.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Shawn Simpson said specifically that Stepan wasn’t demanding out or anything. Only that he’d welcome a change and would be happier with Ottawa.

I get the feeling at his stage he doesn’t want to go through another rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad