Prospect Info: Coyotes Top Prospects 2017 - #4 (Poll closes at 4:30)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I wasn't married to anyone at #23...but at least PO has physical gifts that will help him reach the pros.

I would have loved to get Mittelstadt with #7, but I understand the reasoning behind moving the pick, and it will be more fun watching a team that can compete than watching Mittelstadt tear it up in college.

This draft was just meh for me, because we took guys off the boards that I didn't scout other than PO. I saw a little of Entwistle and thought that was a decent pick, hoping for another Winnik.

After trading our 1st, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot from this draft, and you could tell that our scouts didn't like this draft at all. By moving down 2 x they basically were saying we're not confident with any of these guys so we might as well throw all the crap we can get at the wall and hopefully something sticks.

The only good news with Westerlund is that he played in the SHL and was only 17, so maybe the scouts see something that we all don't. <crosses fingers>

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
By moving down 2 x they basically were saying we're not confident with any of these guys so we might as well throw all the crap we can get at the wall and hopefully something sticks.

A bit too rough for my taste, but the gist is spot on imo.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
A bit too rough for my taste, but the gist is spot on imo.

Yep, "crap" is a little too harsh, but it does mean that they didn't have anyone that they say they needed to get. The last 4 years our scouting squad has said multiple times, wow, we couldn't believe he fell so we got him or traded up to get him.

It was almost if no one liked anyone, that is why I figured they went with a couple bigger bodied kids as they might be able to hold down checking line duty.

The only guy that a saw the twinkle in Tim's eyes is when he was talking about Steenbergen, which I thought was a good pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't have taken Joseph at 23 myself, but I had him ranked 28th predraft, so I wouldn't call it a reach, either. Philosophically, though, he's exactly the type of player you take at that stage of the draft: raw but toolsy, smart, young for his class, and high upside. I think he's a second pairing guy long term, which is more than acceptable for a late first, but I'll also concede that his limited usage makes me feel like I can defer to pro scouts on this one.

You liked him the best Pho. You at least put a list out there and would have grounds to say that you think very highly of him and based on what you saw you would feel comfortable with him in our top 5. I respect that.

Most of the votes though are coming from people who haven't seen him play and are going off of the Coyotes PR after the selection.

I didn't have Joseph on my list. I flat out didn't. I think it would be disingenuous for me to start promoting him as anything less than a long term project with some attributes that are very promising. its not unreasonable for me to see him develop before I push him high on my prospect list. He will hit the top 10. I just think 4 is early based on where he's at.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
For whatever it's worth, I felt like he could be someone I regretted having as low as I did, and I figured he'd go higher than 28th one way or another. I felt like he had the wind at his back in terms of rankings. I was a little uncomfortable going higher than 28 mostly because I had fallen in love with a handful of guys who ended up going much, much lower (e.g., Formenton and Safin).

Bob McKenzie had him 33rd, so 23rd wasn't crazy in such a wide open draft, and Craig Button had him 13th, which at least suggests a wide disparity in how he was seen.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
You liked him the best Pho. You at least put a list out there and would have grounds to say that you think very highly of him and based on what you saw you would feel comfortable with him in our top 5. I respect that.

Most of the votes though are coming from people who haven't seen him play and are going off of the Coyotes PR after the selection.

I didn't have Joseph on my list. I flat out didn't. I think it would be disingenuous for me to start promoting him as anything less than a long term project with some attributes that are very promising. its not unreasonable for me to see him develop before I push him high on my prospect list. He will hit the top 10. I just think 4 is early based on where he's at.

That's kind of where I stand, I know little to nothing about the kid and thus, picked Cap. I do hope POJ makes a strong case for next year to be considered one of my top prospects though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad