Rumor: Coyotes still in market for Top 4 defenceman

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't agree with calling Duclair just a B level prospect. He was really, really highly regarded back then. I remember the hype for him after his stint on the Rangers and the WJC was quite high. He was viewed as a high end prospect, and certainly the centerpiece of that deal. I think you'd be looking at one of the top two offensive prospects as an equivalent from most teams in the league. On some, obviously not the case, e.g. some don't have anyone as good, some are stacked, but I think you're underplaying him.

I believe I stated B+ or at least I meant to. Point being a very highly regarded prospect but not on the level of a Marner, or Nylander, or Strome, or Keller, or Jost or Rantanen. More like a Perlini or Compher or Barbashev.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The only reason to pick up another top 4 D is to get an upgrade on Stone or Z. Heck, if somehow a top 4 RHD came available and Arizona were able to flip Z plus some other assets for that player, I would be totally fine with a RH side of

Murphy
Top 4 D (we'll just say Klein for argument's sake)
Stone
Schenn

where Schenn fills in at 3rd pairing while Stone is out.

Ultimately, I think that the bigger question will be answered for the LHD during training camp. OEL and Gogo are where they are at, and not one person is getting moved out of those roles. But Dahlbeck, Connauton, and even Z/DeAngelo are the types of players that could be moved for a top 6 AHL RH RW prospect. Arizona plugs that player in for the 3rd line RW if no one proves to be ready in camp for the 3rd line RW assignment.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Streit at 60% ($3.15m cap hit, $1.2m salary) for Michalek would save Arizona $2m in salary. Maybe that's worth something to Chayka.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Arizona's 2017 2nd seems high, but their 3rd seems low. Is there a forward prospect available whose value is in between?

Jacksover9s

Apr 14, 2015
Wait? P/60 is huge in determining value but one being on an expiring contract and the other having another year left at the time is not?

Yandle then is basically Shattenkirk now, but with more term. Apart from term, the value would be comparably equal. But the term is a big deal. It's Shattwnkirk's term PLUS a deadline acquisition all in one. Yandle's value was Shattenkirks current value plus his deadline value.

AZ also retained 50% of Yandle's contract for the remainder of his contract. So a 5.2 million dollar Dman became a 2.6 million dollar one for the Rangers. That's why he returned so much . 2 playoff runs at 2.6 million/year cap space

rt

May 13, 2004
AZ also retained 50% of Yandle's contract for the remainder of his contract. So a 5.2 million dollar Dman became a 2.6 million dollar one for the Rangers. That's why he returned so much . 2 playoff runs at 2.6 million/year cap space

Ah. Good point. Yes, if STL trades Shattenkirk this summer, he'll clearly return much, much less in trade than Yandle did. Same age, same production, less healthy, shorter contract, more expensive.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe two 3rds? '17 & '18 ?

Id rather do the 2nd. Which I wouldn't do.

What happened with Samuelsson last season? Looks like his scoring dropped way off and he missed a bunch of games.

Note that I'm not asking that as a way to talk down his value, I'm just curious. We had a similar situation with Hagg in 15-16 and while he's dropped down our prospect rankings, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
What happened with Samuelsson last season? Looks like his scoring dropped way off and he missed a bunch of games.

Note that I'm not asking that as a way to talk down his value, I'm just curious. We had a similar situation with Hagg in 15-16 and while he's dropped down our prospect rankings, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd.
Played hurt and ended up having to have ankle surgery. This after management asked him to try to improve his skating. A lot of question marks for Henrik going to camp this year.

rt

May 13, 2004

Shouldn't have come back from injury.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Rieder/Stone for Trouba. Let's get this done Chayka!

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Rieder/Stone for Trouba. Let's get this done Chayka!

So...a good middle six winger, but a complementary piece nonetheless, and a rental #3/4 defensman coming off of major surgery to repair his MCL and ACL in his knee, for a 22 year old top pairing defensman with the potential to be a borderline #1? I'm afraid Chakya is unlikely to successfully drug Jets management, because that is what would be required. If you're shopping for the Trouba's of this world, teams aren't asking for the Reider's and Stone's.

rt

May 13, 2004
So...a good middle six winger, but a complementary piece nonetheless, and a rental #3/4 defensman coming off of major surgery to repair his MCL and ACL in his knee, for a 22 year old top pairing defensman with the potential to be a borderline #1? I'm afraid Chakya is unlikely to successfully drug Jets management, because that is what would be required. If you're shopping for the Trouba's of this world, teams aren't asking for the Reider's and Stone's.

Stone had the 2nd most TOI/gp on his team last season. :dunno:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Stone had the 2nd most TOI/gp on his team last season. :dunno:

Essentially tied in even strength time with Murphy, on a very sub-par Coyotes defense. On mediocre teams, I don't read much into ice time. Hunwick finished second in ES time on Toronto, Holden third on the Avs...the point being that teams, especially non-playoff teams, often have players playing roles that are not indicative of their actual abilities. Do you think Stone is a proper #2 defensman? Or just a good defender shoehorned into that role? If you think he is actually a legitimate #2 defensmen then great, because it would seem to be that if he is, your defense should be one of the best in the league this upcoming season if you have a #1 in OEL, a #2 in Stone, then two good top four defenders in Goligoski and Murphy to boot. Not many teams can boast that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad