Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Logan Cooley to 3-year ELC ($995k cap hit, $4.45M AAV w/bonuses)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Boyd has always been a career tweener. He had one decent year in 21-22 but was abysmal last year. His lost speed is why he was -32, which was significantly worse than everyone else. Boyd was arguably the 2nd worst player on the team after Kassian. Shades of Stepan.

In a 4th line role, give me the guy who hits, is faster, and occasionally fights while having the same skill.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
He can interchange with Hayton, and perhaps Hayton's really good defensive game can rub off on him. Please, please don't play him on our 3rd or 4th line. He doesn't have the body for it.
? We have depth @ forwards and we like to do the 11 - 7 so give him 4th line minutes but with decent wings.

This is clearly a sign and trade for Erik Karlsson. :sarcasm:
Silly you...

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I need some explanation on this. Boyd is only three years older than Carcone. Boyd has nearly 300 NHL games, while Carcone has 30. How can you see Carcone as an everyday player over Boyd?

Boyd can play center or wing and is a right handed shot. Both I think make him a better fit for the bottom of our lineup. Carcone is a career minor leaguer. I’m so confused.
Boyd’s salary is also 2x as much 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Summer Rose

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
oh man I take this is a huge positive. The only downfall is he loses one year of development in college. Other than that, I think him playing with us all year with the potential of playing in Tucson (if need be) is a huge plus. I think this speaks volumes about his view of the organization.
THIS ^ is why it's great news! Players have bought in!

Plus Cooley is ready to play at an NHL level.....maybe not star..... but the opportunity to develop in the system, at the NHL level, under this staff is a winning proposition!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I really thought Cooley would go back to win the Hobey and then the Calder the following season haha. I'll be thrilled if he signs his ELC though. Will remove any sleepless nights if he weren't to sign after another NCAA season.

I need some explanation on this. Boyd is only three years older than Carcone. Boyd has nearly 300 NHL games, while Carcone has 30. How can you see Carcone as an everyday player over Boyd?

Boyd can play center or wing and is a right handed shot. Both I think make him a better fit for the bottom of our lineup. Carcone is a career minor leaguer. I’m so confused.
I'm with you here. Boyd has been great for us, even if he is very vanilla.

He can interchange with Hayton, and perhaps Hayton's really good defensive game can rub off on him. Please, please don't play him on our 3rd or 4th line. He doesn't have the body for it.
Kind of love this idea. Only problem is I get worried about burying Guenther on the 4th...

Keller-Bjudstadt-Schmaltz
Cooley-Hayton-Zucker
Crouse-Kerfoot-Maccelli

Our forwards seem solid
Could we trade for a decent D?
If Pens are high on EK could we help by taking on Petry for very very cheap? I think he would be a nice fit and a minute muncher

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Boyd’s salary is also 2x as much 🤷‍♂️
Waiving him doesn’t help that problem. You have to pay him no matter what. Unless they use a buyout on him if we get an arb buyout.

Honestly Carcone/Boyd is the least of my worries. Feels like new-old crap vs old-old crap lol. I tend to lean Carcone just for the mystery of it all.
He does bring more edge.

I really thought Cooley would go back to win the Hobey and then the Calder the following season haha. I'll be thrilled if he signs his ELC though. Will remove any sleepless nights if he weren't to sign after another NCAA season.

I'm with you here. Boyd has been great for us, even if he is very vanilla.

Kind of love this idea. Only problem is I get worried about burying Guenther on the 4th...

Keller-Bjudstadt-Schmaltz
Cooley-Hayton-Zucker
Crouse-Kerfoot-Maccelli

If Pens are high on EK could we help by taking on Petry for very very cheap? I think he would be a nice fit and a minute muncher
I thought about Petry. He’s just owed so much rep cash even after bonus that I worry.

Boyd has always been a career tweener. He had one decent year in 21-22 but was abysmal last year. His lost speed is why he was -32, which was significantly worse than everyone else. Boyd was arguably the 2nd worst player on the team after Kassian. Shades of Stepan.

In a 4th line role, give me the guy who hits, is faster, and occasionally fights while having the same skill.
Alright. You’re bringing me around a little.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Would Boyd have scored less in the AHL? Neither are young. WYSIWYG.
Even if I thought they were interchangeable skill-wise (which I don't), I'd waive Boyd and give Carcone a chance. Rewarding hard work and AHL success imo is good for culture, and Boyd's declining performance doesn't justify holding onto him. Let's see what we have in Carcone and create a more competitive organization that fights for the last nhl spots.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Guenther might not be happy about Tucson, but earning a roster spot is on him.
I was mixed on Cooley. It's a big positive for the org., and after seeing him at the prospects camp, I think he's ready for the NHL.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
? We have depth @ forwards and we like to do the 11 - 7 so give him 4th line minutes but with decent wings.

Silly you...
Who likes 11-7? I want to build towards rolling 4 lines, one after the other, to create matchup problems

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This could also be read as the org has kept him up to date on behind the scenes arena plans and that has him confident enough to sign

It'd be nice to think that, but honestly I'll bet you it was signing Zucker and Kerfoot and getting Bjugstad back that convinced him. Until that happened, I bet he thought that we'd be mired in another long bottom-feeder season and it wasn't worth coming here to be mediocre.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Who likes 11-7? I want to build towards rolling 4 lines, one after the other, to create matchup problems
11 - 7 is a way to bring Cooley along slowly until he gets use to the NHL minutes and having decent linemates.

It'd be nice to think that, but honestly I'll bet you it was signing Zucker and Kerfoot and getting Bjugstad back that convinced him. Until that happened, I bet he thought that we'd be mired in another long bottom-feeder season and it wasn't worth coming here to be mediocre.
And I thought it was because of all the Chipotle's we have in the valley!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Boyd is better than O'Brien by every measure except toughness, and toughness is not an issue with this roster.

Keep Boyd who can slot into multiple slots and not O'Brien who only slots into the penalty box.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Freidman thinks it goes down within 24-48 hours.
formally announced yes.

The Coyotes don't put out that tweet if the deal isn't done or at least agreed to in principle. It's happening.

Don't we now have a buyout window with McBain's arbitration hearing?

Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pretty cool if true. Gives the coach so many options up front.

I see Zucker and Cooley on a line.
Keep the Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz line in tact.
Bjugstad is on the 4th line IMO with Carcone.

Reactions: lanky

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig mentions on the podcast that could have played a part. Cooley also has the same agency as Clayton Keller who’s been positive. Plus his time at dev camp all may have played a part in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad