Coyotes Rookies Camp Sept. 7th (Tournament 9th-12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Strome in a little shoving match.

EDIT: I didn't think Hill was horrible in the first game. The last goal wasn't great but he was peppered and hung out to dry most of the game.

Hill goes down too early and plays deep in the crease, not a good combination. The latter is a function of the "Sean Burke" style of coaching, since that's how he played, but he didn't drop down into the butterfly at the slightest sound.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've been underwhelmed with Keller since we drafted him (I wanted Logan Brown). He seems to have this cocky attitude that doesn't sit well with me, and he doesn't do much to back up the attitude.

I hope he proves me wrong, and the lack of PTO's makes me fear that we are handing this kid a spot on the main roster.

Doesn't do much to back it up? He had the best possible D+1 season I can imagine for a player who didn't make the NHL squad after his first camp. What could he have done better? Most people have him as the top drafted prospect in the world. The worst I've seen him rate recently is 3rd best. He's had a **** rookie tourney.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's because he only let in one :laugh:

A weak one though. Came after a stupid turnover (Steenbergen?) and defense got caught (Wood?). But still. I forgot about the details but it was a bad one to let in anyways.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doesn't do much to back it up? He had the best possible D+1 season I can imagine for a player who didn't make the NHL squad after his first camp. What could he have done better? Most people have him as the top drafted prospect in the world. The worst I've seen him rate recently is 3rd best. He's had a **** rookie tourney.

That's exactly the problem. Based on all the stuff you just wrote and the Chayka's desperate need for impact players to fill his messy roster, people (and I suppose Chayka and co as well) got a bit too excited and expected too much from Keller and other youngsters.

Damien Brunner scored 131 points in 87 games before going overseas to play for Detroit with nothing between the ears and despite a weak body. He did it with his exceptional hands and skating ability. It works in Europe where you have more time and skating is more important. He still scored a lot of points for Detroit but he was a pain in almost all other areas except takeaways.

Keller is similar. He could score any amount of points against kids or over in Europe, but that alone won't help him one bit in trying to make it to the NHL. The sooner he gets it, the better. Somebody please tell him he's not the next Pavel Datsyuk. The way he plays, he probably thinks he is. He tried to carry the puck for ages all over the ice despite turning it over almost every single time he touched it. Keller needs to get stronger and think/play quicker before he has a chance to make it.

I'm not gonna overrate a prospect tournament but every other topprospect except maybe Wood showed a little bit of promise. Keller was the worst player of those who got to play. Whatever you think about those prospect games...that's clearly not good. He was even worse than I expected...and like I repeatedly said..my expections were very low.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's exactly the problem. Based on all the stuff you just wrote and the Chayka's desperate need for impact players to fill his messy roster, people (and I suppose Chayka and co as well) got a bit too excited and expected too much from Keller and other youngsters.

Damien Brunner scored 131 points in 87 games before going overseas to play for Detroit with nothing between the ears and despite a weak body. He did it with his exceptional hands and skating ability. It works in Europe where you have more time and skating is more important. He still scored a lot of points for Detroit but he was a pain in almost all other areas except takeaways.

Keller is similar. He could score any amount of points against kids or over in Europe, but that alone won't help him one bit in trying to make it to the NHL. The sooner he gets it, the better. Somebody please tell him he's not the next Pavel Datsyuk. The way he plays, he probably thinks he is. He tried to carry the puck for ages all over the ice despite turning it over almost every single time he touched it. Keller needs to get stronger and think/play quicker before he has a chance to make it.

I'm not gonna overrate a prospect tournament but every other topprospect except maybe Wood showed a little bit of promise. Keller was the worst player of those who got to play. Whatever you think about those prospect games...that's clearly not good. He was even worse than I expected...and like I repeatedly said..my expections were very low.

Give it a break already. Every player that you don't like, you **** on, and every player you like you heap tons of praise even if they are crap. Keller could spend the year in the AHL or he could be a Calder winner. We have NO idea at the moment. I have not followed Keller's career at all but what I have read and the little that I have seen, I like his chances of making the NHL sooner rather than later. This tournament was a waste of time, just like the other ones the previous years. The main camp is what will determine the fate of where Keller will play this year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Give it a break already. Every player that you don't like, you **** on, and every player you like you heap tons of praise even if they are crap. Keller could spend the year in the AHL or he could be a Calder winner. We have NO idea at the moment. I have not followed Keller's career at all but what I have read and the little that I have seen, I like his chances of making the NHL sooner rather than later. This tournament was a waste of time, just like the other ones the previous years. The main camp is what will determine the fate of where Keller will play this year.

You must have misread. I'm not at all worried about Keller. He still has every chance to become a star in the NHL. It's just that he's, as expected, obviously nowhere near NHL level now. Again. I'm not gonna overrate that tournament but Keller was the worst player on the whole roster and despite playing on the topline basically produced nothing but giveaways over two games. Hard to look past that. All other serious prospects except Wood were much better.

Again, I like what Keller did so far. That tournament just confirmed what I expected...that he needs time. I called it. I posted ahead of game 1 that out of those hopefuls I only expect Fischer to impress. Strome was about as expected, Wood and obviously Keller even worse. On the bright side I think that Merkley, Miska and MacInnis looked pretty good and I hope they'll get a chance during preseason. I don't expect him to make the team but the staff should take a close look at Merkley in particular. An additional righty would be nice to have.

rt

May 13, 2004
Way too much stock in a three game rookie tourney after two practices in early September. It's like saying you should drop your class because you had poor marks on your pre-test. It's fecking practice dude.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not gonna overrate that tournament but Keller was the worst player on the whole roster and despite playing on the topline basically produced nothing but giveaways over two games. Hard to look past that. All other serious prospects except Wood were much better.

Again, I like what Keller did so far. That tournament just confirmed what I expected.

Way too much stock in a three game rookie tourney after two practices in early September. It's like saying you should drop your class because you had poor marks on your pre-test. It's fecking practice dude.

You may have overread something...

rt

May 13, 2004
To say it confirmed anything is putting too much stock into it, even if you qualify the statement with the contrary.

I'm not saying your dog is fat, but damn he's huge and it's NOT muscle. He may be the biggest, least fit dog of every dog in this park. Remember, though, that I mentioned at the beginning of this rant that I'm not saying he's fat.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Not a game, not a game, not a game........

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If you're coaching Keller at this point you want him to explore his creative potential, not play it safe. Same applies if you're Keller at this point.

He needs to find his way, playing HIS game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you're coaching Keller at this point you want him to explore his creative potential, not play it safe. Same applies if you're Keller at this point.

He needs to find his way, playing HIS game.

That's what Damien Brunner thought as well:laugh:

He thought he's a star and doesn't need to change his game. That's also why he ended in NJ and finally didn't get a new contract despite scoring a decent amount of points...

Honestly, you if you're trying to make the step from Juniors/Europe to AHL/NHL you have to adjust your game. I wasn't surprised to see Keller do well for the national team but fail miserably with the Coyotes last season as well as during the prospect tournament lately. Unless your name is Pavel Datsyuk, you can't skate past everybody if you're playing against men on a north american rink. Keller needs to get stronger and think the game quicker. He needs to be willing to adjust his junior game or it's not gonna work out for him. I've seen it happening to others before. List is pretty long. Just think about Linus Omark for example. Gifted like crazy but never gonna make it in NA because he's not willing to adjust his game.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Am not sure if I can differentiate between sophisticated trolling and seduction by the dark side of The Force :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Damien Brunner was 26 years old, and undrafted when he came in. That's not apples to apples. Not even apples to oranges. That's apples to anchovies, man. You want a player that didn't adapt? Nail Yakupov is a sensible comparison.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Damien Brunner was 26 years old, and undrafted when he came in. That's not apples to apples. Not even apples to oranges. That's apples to anchovies, man. You want a player that didn't adapt? Nail Yakupov is a sensible comparison.

I wouldn't consider Yakupov a failure yet. Also, he doesn't have the hands of a Brunner or Omark but he's much better against the puck.
Also, this isn't about the age. I just wanted to say that you have to adjust your game to be an NHL player. Even more so if your previous success was mostly based on skill and skating. That alone isn't gonna do it. Keller is gonna be a good NHL player...just not the way he used to play and not next season.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's what Damien Brunner thought as well:laugh:

He thought he's a star and doesn't need to change his game. That's also why he ended in NJ and finally didn't get a new contract despite scoring a decent amount of points...

Honestly, you if you're trying to make the step from Juniors/Europe to AHL/NHL you have to adjust your game. I wasn't surprised to see Keller do well for the national team but fail miserably with the Coyotes last season as well as during the prospect tournament lately. Unless your name is Pavel Datsyuk, you can't skate past everybody if you're playing against men on a north american rink. Keller needs to get stronger and think the game quicker. He needs to be willing to adjust his junior game or it's not gonna work out for him. I've seen it happening to others before. List is pretty long. Just think about Linus Omark for example. Gifted like crazy but never gonna make it in NA because he's not willing to adjust his game.

Funny that you accuse others of not understanding your posts, or reading too much into them.

Of course he needs to adjust his game - THAT is what he and his coaches are attempting to figure out. We're three games into a rookie camp here. Play Nostradamus all you want, but I think your seriously overeating a bit here. Not that I don't understand and frankly have similar concerns, it's just too early to play chicken little with this kids game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad