Coyotes Rookies Camp Sept. 7th (Tournament 9th-12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Can someone tell me how Keller actually did? This page was all just one person saying he's cocky but any differing opinions? Is he likely to make the squad?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Can someone tell me how Keller actually did?

In the first game he was not particularly effective, though no one was really. The team was mostly hemmed in their own end.

In the second game I thought he showed some flashes of brilliance, with one juke on a zone entry between two defenders directly leading to a goal. But he did have a lot of turnovers.

Is he likely to make the team? I dunno. I'm a little more concerned about size and transition issues to the NHL than some of the crazier Calder 60 point type predictions you might find on the mains. But not as concerned as hinterland.

Even in a case of a top prospects list not including a true lock to be an elite player like it is now with Keller topping many lists, the path for them to make the show is usually very short. Whether they are actually ready or not.

I expect he'll spend time in Tucson at some point this season. Whether that's at the start or later, I'm not willing to say until some preseason games.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Can someone tell me how Keller actually did? This page was all just one person saying he's cocky but any differing opinions? Is he likely to make the squad?

To add on what Sniper said, I felt he was strong defensively in the first game, caused some turnovers. Most of the issues he had in the two games were the type of timing issues I'd expect from someone who needed to focus more on strength training the way Keller did.

Also feel it's too early to say whether he makes the team. I'm guessing yes at this point, but that's purely guessing/hoping.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
It was a Coyotes stream, don't think the Sharks had much to do with it.

Fischer is clearly ahead of the others. He's not proven but there's no reason to believe that he couldn't repeat what he did last season and he looked more than ready during his stint with the Coyotes. Keller and Strome struggle even against unknown kids. Don't think they're anywhere close. The closest at that point would probably be Merkley and MacInnis. Hopefully they'll get a chance during preseason.

In the one game he played - underwhelming...

Playing against nobodies in prospect games and playing in the NHL isn't quite the same. But they should definitely take a closer look at him. He looks really strong.

Firstly it was a sharks stream

Secondly Fischer is definitely more physically ready than any of the others but Strome, Keller ,MacInnis, and Merkley all showed they have the tools.

Thirdly Entwistle centred a third line in two games and was 1st pair PK. He looked like he fit in to me and was perfect on the PK

Fourthly I don't quite know your hockey resume but to say those young men out there they were playing against were "nobodies" shows some ignorance of talent.

Not your best work imo

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
Only two things I would add is Merckly, Wood, Dineen and Joseph impressed.

Merckly could be a dark horse for this year just needs to watch his penalties.

Wood has a great shot and size. If he can just watch his positioning he may be NHL ready.

Dineen, forgot about this kid, nice to see him recover

Joseph really happy we got him, years aways but has some tools :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Man, you guys really made my day. That's a lot of fake news for just one page:laugh:

You're probably talking about me but wasn't not just me saying that he was bad. Of course we shouldn't overrate prospect games but since he was the worst forward of the team I think it's highly unlikely that he'll make the roster. I never expected him to play in the NHL next season anyway. If you don't believe me, I suggest you watch the games yourself.

To add on what Sniper said, I felt he was strong defensively in the first game, caused some turnovers. Most of the issues he had in the two games were the type of timing issues I'd expect from someone who needed to focus more on strength training the way Keller did.

Also feel it's too early to say whether he makes the team. I'm guessing yes at this point, but that's purely guessing/hoping.

Did we see the same game? Keller strong defensively? Clayton Keller?:help:
On what planet? The game I saw is still online...I'm curious now...please reveal where exactly he was so strong defensively. I must have missed it:laugh:

Too much hope from in- and outside the organization. People go crazy because Wood had a few good games in Tucson early in the season and because Keller played well in Europe and against kids. A rebuild is all about patience. They'll all be fine but the expectations are waay too high. I get it. People are looking for heroes after so many years of losing and Chayka and co. are in desperate need for players to fill their unbalanced roster and rescue their jobs. In the end, you don't wanna repeat mistakes others made. Rushing prospects is never a good ideal.

Firstly it was a sharks stream

Secondly Fischer is definitely more physically ready than any of the others but Strome, Keller ,MacInnis, and Merkley all showed they have the tools.

Thirdly Entwistle centred a third line in two games and was 1st pair PK. He looked like he fit in to me and was perfect on the PK

Fourthly I don't quite know your hockey resume but to say those young men out there they were playing against were "nobodies" shows some ignorance of talent.

Not your best work imo

Man, I really like Fischer. My favourite prospect right behind Dvorak. But heck no way on earth is the guy more "physically ready" than MacInnis. MacInnis looked crazy strong. He may not have Fischer's hands and he may not be as good as Fischer against the puck but he really did it all for the team. He was in epic shape showing tremendous energy constantly skating like the wind, hitting people, throwing fists and setting up teammates.

Entwistle was as useless as just about everybody else on the team. If he's any good then at least he didn't show it.

Strome did okay I think. About as expected. One good and one bad game. Curious to see where he's at during preseason.

Merkley looked very good. Strong on the puck, decent skater and showed lots of energy. The things I liked the most are his passes...seems to be a great set up guy. I honestly kind of forgot about Merkley but he had two great games. Let's not forget he also scored important goals.

Now it's me hoping/dreaming but an additional righty would be nice to have for the Coyotes...

Only two things I would add is Merckly, Wood, Dineen and Joseph impressed.

Merckly could be a dark horse for this year just needs to watch his penalties.

Wood has a great shot and size. If he can just watch his positioning he may be NHL ready.

Dineen, forgot about this kid, nice to see him recover

Joseph really happy we got him, years aways but has some tools :)

I suppose you mean Merkley...Nicholas Merkley? Yes, that guy was good.

Joseph was okay I think. He wasn't great but let's not forget that he played every game on the top pair and saw a lot of the opponents top prospects. He was one of the better ones of the terrible defense group for sure. Mayo had one very good and one terrible game. Dineen, Demeo and Smereck were also a bit better than the rest. Wood was terrible. Constantly got caught out of position and his skating/mobility remain huge issues. He's not close from NHL level. Was easy to see. Again. I know those were only prospect games but Wood just lacks some basics.

billcrosby

Jul 27, 2006
Langley
Hey all, I have my dynasty fantasy draft tomorrow (I know, extremely early) but I'm very curious to how Kyle Wood has looked. Really sucks drafting without being able to watch any preseason game so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hey all, I have my dynasty fantasy draft tomorrow (I know, extremely early) but I'm very curious to how Kyle Wood has looked. Really sucks drafting without being able to watch any preseason game so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Still the old issues. Skating, positioning and mobility. His games weren't good. Gonna be a good one but I don't think he'll see much NHL action this season.

billcrosby

Jul 27, 2006
Langley
Still the old issues. Skating, positioning and mobility. His games weren't good. Gonna be a good one but I don't think he'll see much NHL action this season.

Appreciate the update! Really thought he may have improved his skating, guy could be a real force!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

:laugh:How is he going to be a good one with all those problems.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Kids Camp

Fischer is physically ready as well as anyone. I won't be surprised if he makes the team. I was impressed with MacInnis as well. He will need some more AHL time I think.

Keller might not have looked good but he wasn't the worst forward out there. I think once he gets his timing down and his legs and doesn't feel like he has to do it all himself - he will be fine. Not sure if he makes the team but wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Stome has hockey smarts on his side, I hope he excels in main camp. I liked Merkley.

Wood didn't look like he was close to making the big squad. I thought other defenseman looked better.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
:laugh:How is he going to be a good one with all those problems.

Nothing that can't be fixed. We'll see how he looks during preseason but I'm not worried about anyone's future because of prospect game. Also, Coyotes knew what they get when they acquired him. Everybody knew about his weaknesses and that he's gonna be a long shot. No surprise there.

Fischer is physically ready as well as anyone. I won't be surprised if he makes the team. I was impressed with MacInnis as well. He will need some more AHL time I think.

Keller might not have looked good but he wasn't the worst forward out there. I think once he gets his timing down and his legs and doesn't feel like he has to do it all himself - he will be fine. Not sure if he makes the team but wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Stome has hockey smarts on his side, I hope he excels in main camp. I liked Merkley.

Wood didn't look like he was close to making the big squad. I thought other defenseman looked better.

Who was worse than Keller? Maybe in Game 1 he wasn't, but in Game 2 he lost just about every puck he touched. Nobody from both teams was worse. Problem wasn't legs. He was as fast as always. It was space. Not just little kids on the other side who don't have a clue how to defend. Also no wide european ice. That was the problem and he didn't adjust the slightest bit.
Agreed on Wood. Other defensemen looked better but nobody really impressed except maybe Mayo vs Colorado and he was bad vs SJ. Hard to tell based on prospect games if anybody is in fact closer to the NHL than Wood. He was bad but I still doubt it.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
Center Derek Stepan and winger Clayton Keller aren't in the same group to start camp, but the two skated in the lead-up to camp and Stepan was impressed by the rookie.

"He's got that (Johnny) Gaudreau, (Patrick) Kane-esq type motion on the ice, that vision and kind of slow pace that makes it look easy but he's flying," Stepan said. "He's got the tools. In my short four skates with him, you can see there's no beating around the bush. This guy's got a lot of talent, a lot of skill and even in those short little skates he surprised me with how hard he competes without the puck."

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/668805001

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I was impressed with MacInnis as well. He will need some more AHL time I think.

I'm hoping he's improved enough to get some looks with the Coyotes this season.

In terms of others, I'm hoping both Fischer and Merkley make the team (if they're ready):

Domi - Stepan - Rieder (this line is still worrisome)
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer (Fischer may not be totally ready for this slot, but he should get the nod before Duclair to start the season)
Martinook - Strome - Duclair/Merkley (Merkley may be listed as a C, but we need a RHS RW)
Crouse - Richardson - Merkley/McGinn/Cousins​

Keller to start in Tucson and possibly replace Duclair if he continues to struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad