Speculation: Coyotes pursuing trade for Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lol don't think people really understand how good OEL actually is. He's the only defenseman on a putrid Arizona team and he has insane advanced stats, and somehow better goal numbers, with a newfound ability to playmake as well. The guy to me is the 4th best defenseman in the League. He's also 24 years old, on a sweetheart contract for 3 more years (Yes, the fact he's a UFA after scares me a little too).

But if you're adding Strome and 7th OA to this trade (Which is such a joke because the person who offers this should be immediately fired), I believe it's something we have to take.

And I'm so high on Matthews too it would break my heart...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
People don't have a fear of drafting Mathews. I think the concern that Mathews doesn't want to play in Toronto has some validity especially in light of what has happened with another American Phil Kessel who basically quit on the team.

Even if you don't think he wants to play here you draft him anyway and start fielding offers because Mathews could fetch a kings ransom in quality players and prospects from an American team OR you take Laine. Swedes and Finns have never had a problem playing in Canada.

Oh dear. This reminds me of back in 2001 on a now-extinct hockey forum when someone said Atlanta would draft Spezza at #1 instead of Kovalchuk because Atlanta was the Deep South, and it was different from Florida which was not "true South", and that people in the Deep South wouldn't tolerate a Russian as their star.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Strome
Domi
7th Overall (Juolevi, Chychrun, Keller)

Would do it for me. Especially + Stamkos.

Stamkos
Marner
Nylander
JVR
Kadri
Strome
Domi
Keller

But then again I really want Matthews wearing blue and white. Guy will be a stud. But if I'm offered 3 top notch prospects for him, it would make me think.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lol don't think people really understand how good OEL actually is. He's the only defenseman on a putrid Arizona team and he has insane advanced stats, and somehow better goal numbers, with a newfound ability to playmake as well. The guy to me is the 4th best defenseman in the League. He's also 24 years old, on a sweetheart contract for 3 more years (Yes, the fact he's a UFA after scares me a little too).

But if you're adding Strome and 7th OA to this trade (Which is such a joke because the person who offers this should be immediately fired), I believe it's something we have to take.

It should scare you a lot more than just a little. If he walks after 3 years we lose the deal by a huge margin, in fact it may go down as the worst trade in Leaf history and that's saying a mouthful.

If the deal is conditional on OEL signing an extension that's another story.

Strome
Domi
7th Overall (Juolevi, Chychrun, Keller)

Would do it for me. Especially + Stamkos.

Stamkos
Marner
Nylander
JVR
Kadri
Strome
Domi
Keller

I say no to that deal without thinking too hard. For me to trade Matthews, it has to be an overpayment, this isn't it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

OEL must be great. You just traded for a 3C in exchange for a 1C.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Oh dear. This reminds me of back in 2001 on a now-extinct hockey forum when someone said Atlanta would draft Spezza at #1 instead of Kovalchuk because Atlanta was the Deep South, and it was different from Florida which was not "true South", and that people in the Deep South wouldn't tolerate a Russian as their star.

No it's not like that at all.

Believe it or not some players :amazed: don't like Toronto or more specifically playing in Canada where the taxes are higher and weather is colder.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
maybe I'm stupid.
maybe i'm a moron.
but I just want the leafs to have their own 1st OA.
please don't trade matthews

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If the offer is OEL + Dvorak + Strome + 7th OA Then I pull the trigger on the deal. That's a solid return.

Ding ding ding, Elite D + top 3 in a deep draft, 7th in a deep draft and a top prospect trumps Mathews.

Very easily.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Believe it or not some players :amazed: don't like Toronto or more specifically playing in Canada where the taxes are higher and weather is colder.

It's just as unfounded. And even Canadians are susceptible. McDavid is from Newmarket, and what's to stop him from enjoying beach weather and lower taxes on Miami Beach? I know I'd rather live in Miami than Toronto. It's a silly reason for trying to trade Matthews.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ding ding ding, Elite D + top 3 in a deep draft, 7th in a deep draft and a top prospect trumps Mathews.

Very easily.

And is it still worth it if in 3 years, OEL is gone, Strome is just an okay #1 C, and the 7th overall pick turns out to be just a #3 defenceman? You should look up the quality of previous #7 overall picks, and the frequency with which they even pan out in the first place.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
the taxes thing is always funny, some places in the states have higher taxes.
apparently everyone in the league must want to go to florida.
but yet their team is always bad to mediocre.
wonder why.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It's just as unfounded. And even Canadians are susceptible. McDavid is from Newmarket, and what's to stop him from enjoying beach weather and lower taxes on Miami Beach? I know I'd rather live in Miami than Toronto. It's a silly reason for trying to trade Matthews.

It was silly for Lindros to say he wouldn't play in Quebec but it happened. I'm not saying Mathews is anything like him but we aren't privy to his private interviews.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Anyone know where I can find Matthew's body fat measurement? I have some fool telling me that Matthews is overweight and a fatter version of Joe Sakic. :biglaugh: I need to shut this hater down.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It's sort of like if Pittsburgh thought "Why would Sydney Crosby want to play in our butt-**** nowhere middle-American town for a crumbling bankrupt franchise with no fans? Perhaps we should trade him instead."

95% of the time, guys find reasons to stay. Besides that he's here for at least 7 years whether he likes it or not, so whatever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Who specifically are these players?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
And is it still worth it if in 3 years, OEL is gone, Strome is just an okay #1 C, and the 7th overall pick turns out to be just a #3 defenceman? You should look up the quality of previous #7 overall picks, and the frequency with which they even pan out in the first place.

Willy Nylander is looking pretty good as a 7th OA pick..........and it's Hunter we're talking about who is one of the best scouts in the biz.

You're also forgetting Dvorak who could easily become a #1C as well.

There's no guarantee Mathews stays in Toronto beyond 7 years either.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It was silly for Lindros to say he wouldn't play in Quebec but it happened. I'm not saying Mathews is anything like him but we aren't privy to his private interviews.

All in how you look at the process.

People still throw out the same comments about Lindros now 25 years later with everything being about language and the city of Quebec.

Aubut was as much to blame for Lindros not wanting to go there. They were running their team into the ground in preparation of an inevitable new building or sale and we all know how that worked out.

Matthews situation could not be any more different then that of Lindros. The Leafs have arguably never been as stable since the original 6 era, outside of 4-5 years with Fletcher in the early-mid 90's, then they have now. There's clear definition of roles and people are able to do their jobs without interference or agendas from above. Even under the Quinn era there was a playoff mandate.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
OEL, Strome, Domi and both 1sts is plenty. But I would go further after consummating this deal.

I would attempt to pry the 2 OA pick from Columbus and add to our youth with Laine. Trade 7OA and 30th, Percy and Leivo for 2OA.

We then secure OEL, Strome, Domi and Laine for our 1st overall. That would be a sweet haul. And go grab Stamkos as #1 center.. and still have 20th overall pick and 31st in 2nd round for D and goalie.

Future looks bright.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Willy Nylander is looking pretty good as a 7th OA pick..........and it's Hunter we're talking about who is one of the best scouts in the biz.

You're also forgetting Dvorak who could easily become a #1C as well.

There's no guarantee Mathews stays in Toronto beyond 7 years either.

Nylander is unproven as of now. Look at the 2000-2010 drafts. It's probably like a 1/3 or 1/4 chance a 7th overall pick pans out. Dvorak could be a 1C or he could be a 2C or not even that.

Matthews is the most sure thing there is to being not just a 1C, but a star center. And probably even a superstar center. No one else is close to a sure thing.

And don't be silly with the "Matthews won't be here past 7 years."

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
maybe I'm stupid.
maybe i'm a moron.
but I just want the leafs to have their own 1st OA.
please don't trade matthews

Don't worry we won't. We don't have idiots running the team anymore. Smart hockey people know how valuable an 18 #1C is, even if parts of the fanbase dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad