Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I get the sentiment of being patient and not wanting to acquire him due to a potential inflated contract in the future, but how long do we continue to reserve ourselves? Who knows the next time we will be in this position in December again? You have to make sacrifices to make the playoffs, and even more sacrifices to win a cup.

Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and deal with the consequences later, all good teams do.

I definitely like the idea of going for it. We have a goalie who is playing to Hart/Vezina calibre. Who knows when that will happen again. Not to mention probably the best group of six D in the NHL.

Reactions: RABBIT

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I definitely like the idea of going for it. We have a goalie who is playing to Hart/Vezina calibre. Who knows when that will happen again. Not to mention probably the best group of six D in the NHL.
Vezina calibre goaltending can take you a long ways when the team plays a 200 foot game.

@Mosby - do you really rank the D that highly? "Best group..."? Not with Oesterle, Lyubuskin and Ness playing. I would rank Boston, Buffalo, Washington, Philly, NYI, St Louis and Calgary's groups as better. Now, when Hammer gets back the D might rank higher than a few of those teams. Still don't really have a top pairing RHD. Great LHD group though.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
You people also say.....

2hwflx.jpg

Sorry... couldn’t resist.

Reactions: MIG

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Vezina calibre goaltending can take you a long ways when the team plays a 200 foot game.

@Mosby - do you really rank the D that highly? "Best group..."? Not with Oesterle, Lyubuskin and Ness playing. I would rank Boston, Buffalo, Washington, Philly, NYI, St Louis and Calgary's groups as better. Now, when Hammer gets back the D might rank higher than a few of those teams. Still don't really have a top pairing RHD. Great LHD group though.

I'm including Hammer, yes. Teams like Nashville and Calgary may look better on paper but they're certainly not showing it.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Goligoski
Oesterle - Hjalmarsson

I'm totally comfortable with any of those pairings on the ice at any time. It gets even more exciting next year when you slot in Soderstrom for Oesterle.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What this team certainly don't need is another overvalued non scoring forward, in Hall. With a probabel 8-digit cap hit.

You people also say you can't protect Raanta in the expansion-draft, so just trade him away. Well, we all know we will lose one player in the expansion-draft.

I love this tandem. Let's keep it until the expansion-draft. And then let Seattle have Raanta, talk to him about it even -this is the long term plan. ("You will be their Fleury"). If they do take Raanta, they can't take anyone else. If you have traded away Raanta by then, that will mean- someone else.

So, I am trying to figure this out.

Why would we just allow Raanta to go to Seattle without any return, but we would hesitate to trade Raanta when it gains a return?

We lose him for nothing in the expansion draft (although at that time, he would be a UFA, no?). We gain something in Hall. Give me something over nothing every day of the week.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
So, I am trying to figure this out.

Why would we just allow Raanta to go to Seattle without any return, but we would hesitate to trade Raanta when it gains a return?

We lose him for nothing in the expansion draft (although at that time, he would be a UFA, no?). We gain something in Hall. Give me something over nothing every day of the week.
I guess the argument is you will inevitably lose something at the expansion draft and a injury prone, expiring goalie isn't worth much in a trade anyways.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I get the sentiment of being patient and not wanting to acquire him due to a potential inflated contract in the future, but how long do we continue to reserve ourselves? Who knows the next time we will be in this position in December again? You have to make sacrifices to make the playoffs, and even more sacrifices to win a cup.

Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and deal with the consequences later, all good teams do.

I would like to think with a new owner with money and a decent foundation we will be in the position again.

Continue to reserve ourselves? We just got here like this season and everyone wants to blow their load right away for the first hot thing that comes along(and that hot thing has seen better days) We need to keep it in our pants and get more than one player in the off season.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I guess the argument is you will inevitably lose something at the expansion draft and a injury prone, expiring goalie isn't worth much in a trade anyways.

That is the argument: some people here seems to overlook you will lose something. I still have hopes for Raanta though. The price you get for him now, will be reduced based on the above. At that expansion draft, something will be lost. So I say, just keep Raanta, he is great. Run with him in a tandem in this two seasons, talk with him in good time before the expansion draft, give him a decent contract, and watch them take him. I admit, it's a bit harebrained this scheme.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I would like to think with a new owner with money and a decent foundation we will be in the position again.

Continue to reserve ourselves? We just got here like this season and everyone wants to blow their load right away for the first hot thing that comes along(and that hot thing has seen better days) We need to keep it in our pants and get more than one player in the off season.

We have reserved ourselves each year since 2012, whether that be because we wanted to or not. What if we do nothing and hope for the best like we did last year and get edged out of the Wildcard again? Would you be kicking yourself for not grabbing Hall when it was a possibility? Or just happy that we hung onto our picks/prospects? We've been rebuilding our team for years, even shipping out our best prospects for someone else's. Rinse and repeat. I'm tried of treading water, we have a decent foundation to build off of so far this year and could potentially do something to put us over the top. I want to go fight for a cup. Imagine if we didn't sit on our hands last year and actually traded for Hoffman like we were rumored to be doing? Hoffman finished with 36 goals and 70 points last season. We were eliminated from the playoffs is game 81. Chances are his numbers would've at least won us another couple games. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Blue Jackets swept the best team in years, the Blues won it all. You just need to get in.

I'd rather get swept in 4 games in the post season than miss the playoffs by one point and pray for the lottery again. This team needs to show they can compete in order for any free agents and players with trade clauses to take us seriously.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Some non-verified twitter account that Devils fans seem to regard highly, and seems to be loosely connected with some verified accounts, is saying that Hall will be traded by the end of the current road trip and it will likely be to Colorado.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Some non-verified twitter account that Devils fans seem to regard highly, and seems to be loosely connected with some verified accounts, is saying that Hall will be traded by the end of the current road trip and it will likely be to Colorado.

Adrian Dater is well plugged in and has this opinion..

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
We have reserved ourselves each year since 2012, whether that be because we wanted to or not. What if we do nothing and hope for the best like we did last year and get edged out of the Wildcard again? Would you be kicking yourself for not grabbing Hall when it was a possibility? Or just happy that we hung onto our picks/prospects? We've been rebuilding our team for years, even shipping out our best prospects for someone else's. Rinse and repeat. I'm tried of treading water, we have a decent foundation to build off of so far this year and could potentially do something to put us over the top. I want to go fight for a cup. Imagine if we didn't sit on our hands last year and actually traded for Hoffman like we were rumored to be doing? Hoffman finished with 36 goals and 70 points last season. We were eliminated from the playoffs is game 81. Chances are his numbers would've at least won us another couple games. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Blue Jackets swept the best team in years, the Blues won it all. You just need to get in.

I'd rather get swept in 4 games in the post season than miss the playoffs by one point and pray for the lottery again. This team needs to show they can compete in order for any free agents and players with trade clauses to take us seriously.

I think this is the first season we could do anything not 2012 so we see things differently. Our new ownership is the first that gives us the stable look that attracts players. I'm thinking long term and your thinking short term. Playoffs is doable this year with or without Hall and I want to make sure we keep it up and dont knee jerk things. I think we can do better getting multiple players and getting Hall might not allow that.

Oh well they will do what they will do. I'll live with whatever.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

I hope they overpay a ton.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Notes from HNIC headlines:

Could take as many as 4 pieces for Hall. Avs believed to be frontrunner and could push to get it done before Xmas break.

Unrelated but amusing: Pens are looking to trade Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Four?

1. Raanta
2. Fischer
3. Capobianco
4. Conditional 2021 1st

I think I'd rather move Vinny than Fischer. Fischer brings some size, a rare commodity around these parts. I'm not sure what Vinny brings if he's not in a scoring role (as shown by his numbers this season). He's certainly not going to get more time if we bring in Hall.

Capo is tough. I'm not sure if I'd rather keep him or Bahl. They are both so different. For NJ, Capo is immediate. Bahl is unique and is part of the three other NJ prospects with the Ottawa 67's. If we move one of these guys, what does our blueline look like in a few years from now when all of Goose, Demers, and Hammer are gone?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Devils are rumoured to be asking for Grade A pieces, you guys are suggesting mostly C or D prospects. I don't see how that gets their attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce