Coyotes players at World Juniors

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
I would be interested to know opinions about performance of young Coyotes players at IIHF World Juniors.
I liked Hrabal (I am biased) a lot.Like all young goalies he can be inconsistent but talent and size (this guy is huge) is there.From what I read this kid is mentally pretty mature for his age.
Lamoureux : had some very good defensive plays,impressive size.Definitely great potential.
Geekie:just not sold on him.Good size,plays physical (too physical for IIHF),goes in front of the net (tying goal today was due to his screen). Good forward speed but otherwise his skating looks awful.His "motor" is suspect.I already commented here but when Canada lost a puck he was very slow to get back.
Thelin: didn't see him play but has one shut out at world juniors.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would be interested to know opinions about performance of young Coyotes players at IIHF World Juniors.
I liked Hrabal (I am biased) a lot.Like all young goalies he can be inconsistent but talent and size (this guy is huge) is there.From what I read this kid is mentally pretty mature for his age.
Lamoreaux : had some very good defensive plays,impressive size.Definitely great potential.
Geekie:just not sold on him.Good size,plays physical (too physical for IIHF),goes in front of the net (tying goal today was due to his screen). Good forward speed but otherwise his skating looks awful.His "motor" is suspect.I already commented here but when Canada lost a puck he was very slow to get back.
Thelin: didn't see him play but has one shut out at world juniors.
i think if Geekie plays like he did at the World Juniors and can put up 50-60 points in a season then he is going to make a crap load of money in the NHL. All 32 teams in the NHL would love that type of C on their roster.

MavLav and Hrabal were both great. Hrabel had a couple of softies but he's 18. That happens. He is not a finished product.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...if Geekie continues to go to the net, which I think he will...he's going to score 20G every season and the points should be north of 50...that is all you can ask of a #2 huge C who's tough to play against.

MavLav & Hrabal were as expected...really saw some 3rd line pest material out of Lutz...hopefully he finds scoring touch sometime soon...the dude can skate and has hands to make plays...just sprinkle some ferry dust to get him over the scoring touch and we might have found a gem.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree...if Geekie continues to go to the net, which I think he will...he's going to score 20G every season and the points should be north of 50...that is all you can ask of a #2 huge C who's tough to play against.

MavLav & Hrabal were as expected...really saw some 3rd line pest material out of Lutz...hopefully he finds scoring touch sometime soon...the dude can skate and has hands to make plays...just sprinkle some ferry dust to get him over the scoring touch and we might have found a gem.
Lutz looked at the u20 as he did a couple of years ago at the u18 that made us all fall in love with him. I think we just need to erase last season from our memories entirely.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Lutz = Martinook........I'd take that.

Geekie definitely a wild card. I agree he could/should be a regular 20/50 guy and at the same time be a very frustrating player like Hanzal.

MavLam - ideally a 2nd pair RHD and key PK contributor. Trending ahead of schedule.

Hrabal - goalies are tough to project but with his size and agility he could be a special player. If he pans out the Coyotes could have an elite goaltender for 10 years.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Liked Hrabal. Obviously has all the tools to succeed. If his development keeps up hard to imagine him not succeeding in some capacity. Then again I said the same thing about Prosvetov, though it's not over for him either.

Really like Lamoreaux. Think he's taken a big step up offensively from where he was when we drafted him. And the defensive side of things is still there. I think he might be Canada's best defender this year.

Not a huge fan of Lutz because I don't think he's really made a ton of progress on stuff since we drafted him but I liked that he's back to where he was at least.

Geekie I'm not entirely sure about. Some good moments, some bad. Huge hit if he does hit. Not sure how likely that is.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hrabel looked great against Canada. I liked Maveric a lot overall, Geekie was good too. I'm still not sure Geekie has the skill to be a top 6 NHL center but he's mean.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Lutz = Martinook........I'd take that.

Geekie definitely a wild card. I agree he could/should be a regular 20/50 guy and at the same time be a very frustrating player like Hanzal.

MavLam - ideally a 2nd pair RHD and key PK contributor. Trending ahead of schedule.

Hrabal - goalies are tough to project but with his size and agility he could be a special player. If he pans out the Coyotes could have an elite goaltender for 10 years.
They're all hard to project, because the jump in level of play is so significant. I don't think Geekie would be a source of frustration (ala Hanzal) if he's not asked to be a #1 center. For the record though, I was not frustrated with Hanzal, he was asked to reach and he did it admirably imo.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Hrabal didn't have the best game against Sweden but Sweden was just the better team on the ice all game. Hopefully Hrabal can take the success he had this tournament and carry it into the rest of the year at ZooMass.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
PSX_20240104_211829.jpg

The kid is huge. Solid game despite letting in 5.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018

I would of ranked the higher B- Geekie looked lost and probably won't be invited back next year for Canada.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I would of ranked the higher B- Geekie looked lost and probably won't be invited back next year for Canada.
yeah because he is too old for an under 20 tournament. Geekie projects well at the NHL level.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I like all of our prospects at the tournament...it would have been nice to see more production from Lutz or a complete stand on your head performance from Hrabal, but besides that, all in all, the prospects were good.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
yeah because he is too old for an under 20 tournament. Geekie projects well at the NHL level.
There is nothing wrong with being concerned with Geekie’s development. His lack of a motor as well as his poor skating is what had him on my do not draft list before his draft. He has impressed me since then and has since aleviated my concerns. Until this wjc. I also thought he was awful and looked lost. His lack of motor will always be an issue I’m afraid. We will see if he can overcome it in the NHL over the years. Hopefully I’m wrong.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with being concerned with Geekie’s development. His lack of a motor as well as his poor skating is what had him on my do not draft list before his draft. He has impressed me since then and has since aleviated my concerns. Until this wjc. I also thought he was awful and looked lost. His lack of motor will always be an issue I’m afraid. We will see if he can overcome it in the NHL over the years. Hopefully I’m wrong.
I feel like i watched a different wjc than you.

I was frustrated w some of Geekie’s efforts last year on the bigger ice surface in Winnipeg. This year his skating has shown much improvement and his physical style of play will translate well on the smaller ice surface.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I feel like i watched a different wjc than you.

I was frustrated w some of Geekie’s efforts last year on the bigger ice surface in Winnipeg. This year his skating has shown much improvement and his physical style of play will translate well on the smaller ice surface.
I saw a ton of floating in the offensive zone. Wide sweeping turns with little to no feet movement. Not only that but he went straight to the front of the net(more than likely a team Canada deployment) and played the net front presence, which to me, he was ineffective in.

I feel like Geekie gives off the good skater fallacy, which is good speed. Once he gets going, he’s got good speed. Not denying that. But his lateral movement is awful, and he can’t dig in and turn on a dime. It also takes him about 7 strides to get up to speed.

Look, I like the player and I really hope he proves my concerns wrong. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous to have reservations about this prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nowotny

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think he has similar offensive acumen to Hayton. He's less special than Hayton on the defensive side. So I see him maybe a bit lower in the same tier in terms of his overall impact.
He comes in a big and menacing package though, so that'll be nice.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I saw a ton of floating in the offensive zone. Wide sweeping turns with little to no feet movement. Not only that but he went straight to the front of the net(more than likely a team Canada deployment) and played the net front presence, which to me, he was ineffective in.

I feel like Geekie gives off the good skater fallacy, which is good speed. Once he gets going, he’s got good speed. Not denying that. But his lateral movement is awful, and he can’t dig in and turn on a dime. It also takes him about 7 strides to get up to speed.

Look, I like the player and I really hope he proves my concerns wrong. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous to have reservations about this prospect.
Hwy i might disagree but at least you backed uo your opinion with specifics. We will see who’s right in about 2 years. I may go see Geekie play live now that he is in Swift.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Geekie has much much more talent than Hayton and all the physical gifts, too. Love his upside. Don’t love his inconsistency. I feel the same way about him I did five seconds before we picked him. I love him as a prospect and I’m glad we’ve got him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3