Coyotes Parting Ways with Shane Doan

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If the roster moves happened without that context, I am sure that many, if not most, of us would be thrilled that the team is finally doing a true rebuild and turning the page. The only thing that would make it better would be an up-and-down branding makeover to wash the taste of the IceArizona pseudo-Canadianism out of our mouths.

He's essentially doing what was supposed to be done 2 years ago. Cleaning out the old funk. What would say if you saw the team bring in premier players and round out this roster and pay the players that are actually on the ice instead of the dead cap deals?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He's essentially doing what was supposed to be done 2 years ago. Cleaning out the old funk. What would say if you saw the team bring in premier players and round out this roster and pay the players that are actually on the ice instead of the dead cap deals?

We'd have to see it first.

I try to be as optimistic as possible about this but the with the beating this fanbase has taken over the past decade they aren't going to buy into anything until they actually see it. Especially after that "Coyotes 2.0" debacle.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What would say if you saw the team bring in premier players and round out this roster and pay the players that are actually on the ice instead of the dead cap deals?

I would say, "I wonder if those pigs are subject to air traffic control." :naughty:

Seriously, I would love it, but it goes against everything this franchise has done even before the bankruptcy. And Barroway does not have the money for it.

Now, the fan part of my brain is hoping against all hope that Barroway is just doing a holding action until he can bring in some new investors or sell the team to a local owner who is here for the long haul. I like my fan brain, and I wish to subscribe to its newsletter. But the rest of me looks at the available evidence and sees the Nordiques/Avalanche scenario as more probable.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I hear ya, man. I see a lot of what you're saying, I really do. I just see this more as doing what needs to be done in order to move on from past failures. Of the dead cap deals do in fact come to fruition this year. My right foots in your boat.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I would say, "I wonder if those pigs are subject to air traffic control." :naughty:

Seriously, I would love it, but it goes against everything this franchise has done even before the bankruptcy. And Barroway does not have the money for it.

Now, the fan part of my brain is hoping against all hope that Barroway is just doing a holding action until he can bring in some new investors or sell the team to a local owner who is here for the long haul. I like my fan brain, and I wish to subscribe to its newsletter. But the rest of me looks at the available evidence and sees the Nordiques/Avalanche scenario as more probable.

All of this.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
These deals are absolutely what need to happen to move forward regardless of where the team is playing in 2018-19. I'm excited.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If it was me and the Yotes are doing all these moves to make a run, Shane Doan is on my roster and wearing the C. You don't give the Captain the players and tools he needs to lead a team into the fight, what do you expect, success? He deserves a shot and for the time he's put in and his loyalty to the franchise, the Last Original Jet deserves a shot at the Cup -with- the Yotes.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If it was me and the Yotes are doing all these moves to make a run, Shane Doan is on my roster and wearing the C. You don't give the Captain the players and tools he needs to lead a team into the fight, what do you expect, success? He deserves a shot and for the time he's put in and his loyalty to the franchise, the Last Original Jet deserves a shot at the Cup -with- the Yotes.

Such sentimentality!. I can offer you a hug or a hanky if you like. Shane dogged it almost the entire season. He should have gracefully retired after his miserable, no effort season.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Such sentimentality!. I can offer you a hug or a hanky if you like. Shane dogged it almost the entire season. He should have gracefully retired after his miserable, no effort season.

Janet Jackson's song isn't playing in my background, bro. What I'm talking about is called doing what's right. It would not hurt the Yotes to carry him as a fourth liner or as a scratch on a minnimum contract. We're talking about Shane Doan here, a guy who is the Coyotes, whether some people want to admit that or not and in a lockerroom is a sign of perserverance, regardless if his game is slowing down or not. He shows up. He plays. He hasn't given up. I dare you to find that kind of loyalty somewhere else. That's the kind of loyalty that inspires others to raise their game and sometimes that's how you win.

I like how you speak of one season as if that's all he's done or that's all he is. As if no other player has ever slowed down or has ever had a bad season. No respect.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Janet Jackson's song isn't playing in my background, bro. What I'm talking about is called doing what's right. It would not hurt the Yotes to carry him as a fourth liner or as a scratch on a minnimum contract. We're talking about Shane Doan here, a guy who is the Coyotes, whether some people want to admit that or not and in a lockerroom is a sign of perserverance, regardless if his game is slowing down or not. He shows up. He plays. He hasn't given up. I dare you to find that kind of loyalty somewhere else. That's the kind of loyalty that inspires others to raise their game and sometimes that's how you win.

I like how you speak of one season as if that's all he's done or that's all he is. As if no other player has ever slowed down or has ever had a bad season. No respect.

This is a professional sport. Guys age out. They get cut. If you aren't good enough, you don't get a tag-along contract. His leadership towards the end was questionable and his play was awful. He had years to engineer his own exit and never figured it out.

Happy we're moving on.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Doan's not Jesus Christ. I love the guy as much as anyone, but a 6 goal, 27 point performance and admitting he "emotionally checked out" and quit on the team halfway through the year, does not mean he's entitled to play indefinitely forever, because he's a nice guy.

Teams get younger, change their plans and move on. It's nothing new. It happened to Mike Modano, it happened to Brett Favre. The Coyotes needed to make a change after 5 years of losing, even if only for change's sake.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He still thinks it is 2012 and that he's 33. He already grumbled about his reduced role last year and said he could see himself potting 15 goals. No. No. No.
If he'd be happy with a 4th line role at league minimum, we'd be having a different conversation. He also acts stunned every time we trade someone from the country club, and his agent reportedly tried to play games with the media and pressure Barroway into a bigger contract. Barroway just made it clear that he's not playing games. Or at the very least the rules have changed.
I'm excited.
Bon voyage, Doan. We love you. Godspeed, sir.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Doan's not Jesus Christ. I love the guy as much as anyone, but a 6 goal, 27 point performance and admitting he "emotionally checked out" and quit on the team halfway through the year, does not mean he's entitled to play indefinitely forever, because he's a nice guy.

Teams get younger, change their plans and move on. It's nothing new. It happened to Mike Modano, it happened to Brett Favre. The Coyotes needed to make a change after 5 years of losing, even if only for change's sake.

6 goals, 27 points is a fourth line player.

As for him being "Emotionally checked out", I think any player with the Coyotes for the last 5 years would probably feel the same way, so I think how he is feels is justified. You never had a job where your superior is so stupid or the policies/decisions are so bad that at some point you don't check from it, or quit the job? It's the same thing and I don't think it should be held against him, in fact, how he feels just adds weight to how badly the Yotes have been ran and I think at the very least, we all can agree on that.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He still thinks it is 2012 and that he's 33. He already grumbled about his reduced role last year and said he could see himself potting 15 goals. No. No. No.
If he'd be happy with a 4th line role at league minimum, we'd be having a different conversation. He also acts stunned every time we trade someone from the country club, and his agent reportedly tried to play games with the media and pressure Barroway into a bigger contract. Barroway just made it clear that he's not playing games. Or at the very least the rules have changed.
I'm excited.
Bon voyage, Doan. We love you. Godspeed, sir.

If he wouldn't take a fourth line role, then yeah, I agree with that.

KG

Sep 23, 2010

As for him being "Emotionally checked out", I think any player with the Coyotes for the last 5 years would probably feel the same way, so I think how he is feels is justified. You never had a job where your superior is so stupid or the policies/decisions are so bad that at some point you don't check from it, or quit the job? It's the same thing and I don't think it should be held against him, in fact, how he feels just adds weight to how badly the Yotes have been ran and I think at the very least, we all can agree on that.

The difference is that Doans wears a 'C' on his chest. Captains don't get that luxury.

Love Shane, but Shane admitting that publicly did knock him down a peg in my book, and then he decided not to be moved at the deadline, then acted surprised when Hanzal was traded???

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Moving on from him is part of fixing the team. It's that simple. He is part of the malaise.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The difference is that Doans wears a 'C' on his chest. Captains don't get that luxury.

Love Shane, but Shane admitting that publicly did knock him down a peg in my book, and then he decided not to be moved at the deadline, then acted surprised when Hanzal was traded???

Good point. I just don't like the idea of him not being with the Yotes in some way, just doesn't feel right, you know? Right reasons or wrong, it's just meh.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Good point. I just don't like the idea of him not being with the Yotes in some way, just doesn't feel right, you know? Right reasons or wrong, it's just meh.

They offered him a front office job.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
He should have announced he's retiring in February and allowed the fans to show appreciation and enjoy the moment. A swan song in the final game but no, he's stubborn.

He robbed the fans and himself of that moment.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Nailed it.

:laugh: That's great.

In regards to Doan, I'm sorry but it was apparent it was time for him to move on. He was slower, wasn't producing, and he was the C on our team, he's the one that needs to lead by example. For him to check out mentally, as the team Captain, you can't be doing that. No matter how bad you are, you still need to go out and compete. You are in the NHL, the top hockey league in the world. Act like it.

These guys are getting paid millions of dollars, and he just wasn't producing and competing to warrant getting paid that money anymore. It was time to cut ties, and bring in new blood, and turn this ship around. We were taking on water faster than we could take the buckets and get it back into the ocean. Another ship has finally come by and taken us off our sinking disaster, and heading back to dry land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad