Coyotes Parting Ways with Shane Doan

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Nothing against the guy but will he be able to speak up like a Doan, Fisher or Zetterberg? Will he ever lead by example like them? Again...I'm following the team from far far away but so far I've seen zero indications to believe so. Not last season, not before. I'm also strictly against naming a player Captain just because he's the best player. That would be a pretty stupid approach.

Zetterberg is a weird example.

Honestly all of those guys are, none of them have really ever been known a rah, rah type captains.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So he will criticize the organization for handling this issue (Doan), but won't for putting a crappy product on the ice for the last 5 years?:shakehead

He's been critical other times as well. You just don't look hard enough for it because it's easier to buy into the HF narrative, which as Feckless put it above is a lot more cutthroat.

SimplyCoyotes

Jun 11, 2014
He's been critical other times as well. You just don't look hard enough for it because it's easier to buy into the HF narrative, which as Feckless put it above is a lot more cutthroat.

Yeah. You must be absolutely right. I just started reading and following the team. My bad.

STH for 11 years and I have a little birdy around the franchise. Trust the process. There is a lot more in store.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Craig is an embarrassment and is only spoon fed what IA wanted to hear. Defense force for everything I guess.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Morgan was at the very least a pro-IA mouthpiece.
This is a new regime.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He lost his regular gig and became dependent on the scoops. They fed him information early and leaked exactly what they wanted out there. It established his bonafides as the insider for the Coyotes. It was a win-win. I don't blame him really. But I miss when he was a critical voice and actually asked hard questions.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Where did you get that from?

Did one of those media guys ever write or say something negative about Tippett? I can't remember. They either don't address the problems or they blame somebody/something else. Bad luck, young players etc. They echo everything Tippett says...almost 1:1. Also, letting Maloney go was the absolute right decision, Smith is by far the best player and almost superhuman and every trade the Coyotes make is a good one. Some of those media guys, and Morgan in particular, even get mad if somebody asks about it.

I actually also didn't get the impression that that's much of a concern here. There's only a small group of users talking about it. Many, just like Morgan, still get very defensive when people ask questions or express criticism. In fact, there are still tons of members on this board who admire Tippett and actually believe all the talk by Nash, Morgan and co. that Tippett is the best coach in the league and stuff like that. It's hilarious:laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig is an embarrassment and is only spoon fed what IA wanted to hear. Defense force for everything I guess.

No.... I just call it as I see it. If you see it differently or want to just paint everything with a spray gun that's your prerogative.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Where did you get that from?

Did one of those media guys ever write or say something negative about Tippett? I can't remember. They either don't address the problems or they blame somebody/something else. Bad luck, young players etc. They echo everything Tippett says...almost 1:1. Also, letting Maloney go was the absolute right decision, Smith is by far the best player and almost superhuman and every trade the Coyotes make is a good one. Some of those media guys, and Morgan in particular, even get mad if somebody asks about it.

I actually also didn't get the impression that that's much of a concern here. There's only a small group of users talking about it. Many, just like Morgan, still get very defensive when people ask questions or express criticism. In fact, there are still tons of members on this board who admire Tippett and actually believe all the talk by Nash, Morgan and co. that Tippett is the best coach in the league and stuff like that. It's hilarious:laugh:

So now we're redefining the parameters. You made a blanket claim that Morgan never writes anything critical of the Coyotes and were shown to be wrong. Now you want to make it about a single subject and add another wild claim that Morgan does which you can't substantiate.

Excellent.

Keep trying....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No.... I just call it as I see it. If you see it differently or want to just paint everything with a spray gun that's your prerogative.

I see it differently. I was once a big Craig Morgan fan but he's clearly turned heel. He is no longer objective, [MOD].

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
That why on twitter if I want to know something about the Coyotes, I follow John Shannon or Elliot Friedman....
Nothing against any of the local writers but for some reason they find out about the most current Coyotes debacle about the same time that I do.
It shouldn't happen that way..
Im just waiting on the John Shannon rumor about the Suns/Coyotes partnership as being worked on by Silver and Bettman.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That why on twitter if I want to know something about the Coyotes, I follow John Shannon or Elliot Friedman....
Nothing against any of the local writers but for some reason they find out about the most current Coyotes debacle about the same time that I do.
It shouldn't happen that way..
Im just waiting on the John Shannon rumor about the Suns/Coyotes partnership as being worked on by Silver and Bettman.

Everything big has been broken elsewhere. The only thing Craig and Sarah get out early are the talking points the team wants out there. It's embarrassing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Everything big has been broken elsewhere. The only thing Craig and Sarah get out early are the talking points the team wants out there. It's embarrassing.

This. And the Fox Sports clowns are no different, in fact even worse. Every game you hear the same. Mike Smith is the best goalie and Dave Tippett is the best coach in the NHL. At times they don't even try to rephrase what they receive. How often did I think I heard/read that before when watching FSA or reading Morgan/McLellan? They're also great fans of quoting Tippett @ FSA...at times for weeks. Pathetic.
I really like the Coyotes but media coverage is an issue.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Yeah the softball questions anyone in our organization get asked is laughable. Helps contribute to the country club atmosphere that people accuse the AZ teams of a lot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
In NY the News is so popular that sports writers can print what the want without fear of retribution by the club. It's not so here. If Morgan were to really get into the debacle he would lose his credentials to enter the arena. He can only go so far without damaging his livelihood.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
In NY the News is so popular that sports writers can print what the want without fear of retribution by the club. It's not so here. If Morgan were to really get into the debacle he would lose his credentials to enter the arena. He can only go so far without damaging his livelihood.

I agree this is part of the problem- but they also don't have to be mouthpieces. They don't even try to test the boundaries.

Morgan is also obviously pro-Tippet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Oh, like I said before, once he lost his regular gig and became a freelancer, he needs to carry their water. It's a symbiotic relationship. Doesn't make it any less embarrassing to see all the big news break out of Canada and NY. Did we get even a hint at the buyout or cash calls from Morgan or Sarah? Our so-called insiders? Not a peep. Biggest story since the lease unraveling broke thousands of miles away. What about the coup that ousted the Don? Surely they'd hear a rumble there. Nope. Broke on the east coast.
It's a living. I don't begrudge them. They're simply more of an extended PR arm than any sort of real journalists at this point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Real organizations aren't afraid of what reporters have to say. Some more truthfulness would have served this organizational well over the last few years.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Real organizations aren't afraid of what reporters have to say. Some more truthfulness would have served this organizational well over the last few years.

The Yankees went after reporters now and again. I dare say that they are a real organization. All organizations will act like a life form and protect itself. It's the news organizations, like the Republc, ESPN and Fox Sports, that have to report the truth despite provoking the anger of the team.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

Unknown. But I wouldn't rule that out. By any means.

Would you care to elaborate about the "serious moves come Friday"?:nod:

I've got nothing more than the next guy, unfortunately. I would have to imagine there some action, though.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I think they'll look for some other Datsyuk type deals to hit the floor and will run this franchise cheaper than we've ever seen before (and that's saying something!!!). Basically more than ever I'm convinced Barroway is gutting this team, putting it in a low power state for 2016-17 and preparing for relocation next summer.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Needless to say the 16/17 season has already come and gone. Your notion all over this board of the team moving is nauseating, give it a rest. Because we dumped out the trash and want to head in a new direction without the old war horses, were clearly moving? Doan wouldn't have provided anything offensively to change any sort of record outcome. Don't get me wrong, love Doan and who he is and what he was, but it was over done and worn out. Both he and Smith.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

That's not how sports franchises and properties work anymore. Access is king. And ALL sports franchises are afraid of what reporters have to say if it's not a controlled narrative. The reason for this is money. When there was less money circulating in sports, there was less fear of objectivity.

Your notion all over this board of the team moving is nauseating, give it a rest. Because we dumped out the trash and want to head in a new direction without the old war horses, were clearly moving?

Those of us who think the team is moving do not think so because Mike Smith was trade or because Shane Doan was non-tendered. Most of us who hold this position look at Andrew Barroway, a guy whose net worth is decidedly below every other owner in the NHL, leveraging himself to the hilt with short term, high-interest loans to buy 100% of the franchise, and we see a guy who won't be doing this job for very long. We pair that together with the ultimata that Barroway and the NHL have issued about what will happen if some poor metro city doesn't pony up huge subsidy dollars to build the team a new arena, and we connect the dots.

If the roster moves happened without that context, I am sure that many, if not most, of us would be thrilled that the team is finally doing a true rebuild and turning the page. The only thing that would make it better would be an up-and-down branding makeover to wash the taste of the IceArizona pseudo-Canadianism out of our mouths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad