Coyotes Parting Ways with Shane Doan

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm shocked they had the guts to do this, but it's the right move. Good luck to Shane wherever he goes next, and hope he ends up back with the organization somewhere.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Right move for sure.....100% thought they would let him play as long as he wanted though. Oh Captain, my Captain I salute you

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Right move for the franchise, done entirely the wrong way. It's going to be hell to watch him play in another sweater next season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Right move for the franchise, done entirely the wrong way. It's going to be hell to watch him play in another sweater next season.

It's not great but I'm not really sure what they could have done. It was pretty clear last season that he's done but it seems he wants to keep playing :dunno:

It's very similar to the Luis Gonzalez situation a decade ago for the Diamondbacks. Everyone forgot it about it after 4 years or so.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Give Doan a scouting/development/coaching gig in the organization.
Not so sure after this communication breakdown. Coyotes should been in front of this before Bross announces Doan's thinking of returning.

It's the right move, but handled very poorly by the team.

It's Shane (F*%$ing) Doan!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's very similar to the Luis Gonzalez situation a decade ago for the Diamondbacks. Everyone forgot it about it after 4 years or so.

Gonzo is no Doan when it comes to franchise loyalty, though. 21 years through some of the worst slog any pro franchise has ever seen and this is the way he gets dumped - by someone saying, according to Sarah McLellan, that the team is "getting rid of everything old."

ETA: McLellan says that Doan won't be offered a spot in the organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Give Doan a scouting/development/coaching gig in the organization.

I hope so. I was really surprised they traded Smith, even more surprised by this move, but it just shows, time passes us all by sooner or latter. Bottom line, I'm fine with both moves, and I think Doan understands.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Gonzo is no Doan when it comes to franchise loyalty, though. 21 years through some of the worst slog any pro franchise has ever seen and this is the way he gets dumped - by someone saying, according to Sarah McLellan, that the team is "getting rid of everything old."

I'm not happy about it just being unceremoniously tossed to the press but I don't think there exists a good way to do it if the team is making that call.

What's the best?

You hold a press conference saying how great Doan is but he's not coming back? I think that reeks of grandstanding.

Just quietly never offer him a contract? Then it leaks, rumors swirl.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Thank you Doaner but with rumblings he wasn't happy in a third or fourth line role.. why resign him?

I wish he announced retirement last season and we got to properly send him off. That's on him.

You can't deny that it's time to move on.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not happy about it just being unceremoniously tossed to the press but I don't think there exists a good way to do it if the team is making that call.

What's the best?

Easy. Retire his number NOW. Don't wait for him to retire. It's the only thing that will allow the team to save face.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes are going to be oh so very young next year. Holy. Obviously the roster will be different come September. Imagine the possibilities:

Domi Strome Duclair
Perlini Dvorak Keller
Reider Martinook Fischer
Crouse Cousins Pulkinnen/Looke

rt I hope this didnt give you a heart attack?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thank you Doaner but with rumblings he wasn't happy in a third or fourth line role.. why resign him?

I wish he announced retirement last season and we got to properly send him off. That's on him.

You can't deny that it's time to move on.

I wonder if that means Vrbata won't be back. The organization is really turning the page, and is showing that they are determined to rebuild the right way.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Easy. Retire his number NOW. Don't wait for him to retire. It's the only thing that will allow the team to save face.

I can probably get behind that but I think the initial time it hits is always going to be a bad look. Although at the same time it's pretty disrespectful to retire someone's number who is out there looking for a contract. That's also why I wouldn't worry just yet about the idea that he hasn't been offered a spot somewhere off-ice.

If he hangs them up and he's not brought in, yeah we can pillory the already terrible reputation our team has for communication some more. Although I wouldn't blame him either if he waited until the current regime is out of power either. That happens a lot in these situations.

For the "get rid of everything old" quote. Well I mean we don't know who said it or why. It could be some minority owner hold over stooge with an axe to grind painting it in the most negative possible terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad