McKenzie: Coyotes offering OEL 8 x 8.25 contract

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
8 mill for OEL just sounds about right...but once you get that U in free agency, the contract that you can get no longer looks about right, its usually more and a slight overpay since any team can buy you...he can get more if someone really wants him, hes a great young good enough 1D, hes not elite among the 1Ds but he is one

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I respect you rt, you are the leader of the Yote on HF..

That said do you firmly believe the NHL will keep on bailing out the Yotes?
If it isn't clear by now that the team is staying in AZ, not sure what to tell you. The NHL isn't leaving a top 5 US metro market (ever).

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Based on current contracts, cap rising etc he would be looking at consuming about 11-13 percent of the cap.. which at 80 mil is around 8.8 - 10.4 a year.. meeting in the middle at 9.6~ would be very fair.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Not sure why you think they don’t have hope. Plenty of young talent that eventually figures it out

The key word is eventually...and that's if they do. OEL has figured it out and is talented and gifted. He shouldn't be spending his prime years on a team that's a good 3-5 years off being a -possible- contender unless it's a quality of life issue for him, in that case do your best Shane Doan imitation and sign.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If money matters, then taxes matter. Taxes are money. Less for you.

Salary is about keeping score with your peers and getting what you “deserve”. This isn’t negotiating between 75k and 150k a year where you can see a real difference.

If taxes mattered as much as you say, why don’t low tax states have all the best players and championships? Why do all the rich celebs flock to NY and LA? Heck why do more regular people live in high tax states than low tax ones? It’s intellectually lazy.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If it isn't clear by now that the team is staying in AZ, not sure what to tell you. The NHL isn't leaving a top 5 US metro market (ever).
That’s why Houston is a threat in a way that Quebec never really was. Houston isn’t going to pay expansion fees. Yet a transfer of a franchise from Phoenix to Houston is essentially a market upgrade.

A tenable arena situation in the actual Phoenix area would be the preference, I’m sure. Failing that, Houston is kind of a perfect option that basically appeared out of nowhere to potentially bail the league out.

Going from Atlanta to Winnipeg hurts. Going from Phoenix to Quebec hurts. Does going from Phoenix to Houston or Houston to Phoenix really matter?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That’s why Houston is a threat in a way that Quebec never really was. Houston isn’t going to pay expansion fees. Yet a transfer of a franchise from Phoenix to Houston is essentially a market upgrade.

A tenable arena situation in the actual Phoenix area would be the preference, I’m sure. Failing that, Houston is kind of a perfect option that basically appeared out of nowhere to potentially bail the league out.

Going from Atlanta to Winnipeg hurts. Going from Phoenix to Quebec hurts. Does going from Phoenix to Houston or Houston to Phoenix really matter?

If Houston wants a team, they will pay expansion fees. Fast forward 10 years and the Phoenix market dwarfs Houston. The long term picture is too bright in AZ, the NHL isn't leaving, its really that simple.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Salary is about keeping score with your peers and getting what you “deserve”. This isn’t negotiating between 75k and 150k a year where you can see a real difference.

If taxes mattered as much as you say, why don’t low tax states have all the best players and championships? Why do all the rich celebs flock to NY and LA? Heck why do more regular people live in high tax states than low tax ones? It’s intellectually lazy.
Do you really believe Stamkos liked Florida so much that he chose to sign for $8.5 MM instead of take $11MM from elsewhere? Zero taxes had nothing to do with it?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
this very definitely isn't a sign a trade ! if the Yotes are offering this much money for that many years then they intend on keeping him . but that won't stop the constant trade threads with this guy with him going everywhere under the sun like fans do with only-productive-when-he-plays-with-McDavid Leon Draisaitl threads! ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Buddy. These are the examples you use to illustrate your point and you’re accusing others of being lazy? You should drop this.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Taxes mattered with Stamkos.

Perhaps, but it's just projecting to think he didn't sign in Toronto simply due to taxes. Toronto wasn't a good team for ~a decade and just came off being the worst team in the league and picking 1st overall.

To go to a cup contender for that? Can't blame him. Clearly, we were a candidate as he only ended up meeting Toronto/Tampa (not Detroit, Buffalo, etc.).

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Perhaps, but it's just projecting to think he didn't sign in Toronto simply due to taxes. Toronto wasn't a good team for ~a decade and just came off being the worst team in the league and picking 1st overall.

To go to a cup contender for that? Can't blame him. Clearly, we were a candidate as he only ended up meeting Toronto/Tampa (not Detroit, Buffalo, etc.).
Look....I would sign in florida over Toronto. Not if there is a 3MM/year difference though

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Look....I would sign in florida over Toronto. Not if there is a 3MM/year difference though

How did you come up with those numbers though? And I don't think it is as elementary as you put it.

Florida has lower income tax but they have other avenues to generate that income for their state- such as primarily through property tax.

Stamkos would also have more endorsement potential in Toronto by a fair amount.

I'm talking in generalities but I'd be surprised if the true difference in relative, net salary per year was to the tune of ~3 million/ year.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
How did you come up with those numbers though? And I don't think it is as elementary as you put it.

Florida has lower income tax but they have other avenues to generate that income for their state- such as primarily through property tax.

Stamkos would also have more endorsement potential in Toronto by a fair amount.

I'm talking in generalities but I'd be surprised if the true difference in relative, net salary per year was to the tune of ~3 million/ year.
I read an article.
How taxes could impact Stamkos signing with Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca
8.5MM=10MM in Toronto.
No way I'd leave peaceful sunny florida for Toronto the media and fan zoo. That would require at keast an extra $1.5MM (to me). 1.5+1.5=3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad