McKenzie: Coyotes offering OEL 8 x 8.25 contract

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think he either signs in summer or is dealt. Maybe at the draft.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Bit too much $ and term. Would think 5 years x $8 would suffice. If he earns it, he is young enough to get another big contract.

Reactions: IODCPiper

member 157595

Bit too much $ and term. Would think 5 years x $8 would suffice. If he earns it, he is young enough to get another big contract.
OEL has no reason to sign that and Arizona has no reason to offer it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
OEL is only 26. Why wouldn't we offer an eight year extension to our homegrown franchise 1D and lock him up for almost the next decade?
Guy has a down season in a contract year. I suppose the $8.5 in the final few years will not be as bad as the hit today. If the team were going to contend for the next few years, I would be more apt to do a deal like that. In this case, no.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Guy has a down season in a contract year. I suppose the $8.5 in the final few years will not be as bad as the hit today. If the team were going to contend for the next few years, I would be more apt to do a deal like that. In this case, no.

He still has one year left on his current deal, so his contract year is actually upcoming. And OEL had a slow start to this season but his play was significantly better after New Year's (like the rest of the team).

Reactions: iSophagus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

New to the UFA market?

Would be a good looking contract for OEL/Ari.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The offer in $$ is low compared to what he could get as a UFA in a year. This is the only time in an NHL players career that he has all the leverage. E Kane getting 7 makes OEL easily worth 9+ as a UFA. I think AZ will come up in dollars closer to 9 mill to sign him.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Kane at 7 mill is like OEL at 11 mill. 8.25 is under market.
Sure, 8.25 is probably a bit under market, but 10 would be borderline (not to say some team wouldn't give it to him as a UFA). He has no major trophies, mid-range offensive production, and no team success. I don't agree that team success and things like that should fully dictate contracts, but they clearly play a role (e.g. Toews).

I'd fully expect OEL to get 8-9 million AAV unless a team is desperate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad