Post-Game Talk: Coyotes Gagner 5-1

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That and this must be rock-bottom. Right? It can't get worse, can it?

We have a lot more games left this season to test that theory and test it we will! :cry:

Gagner has hardly had this habit in his career. Next criticism?

Agree with the latter.

I'm glad genius had to watch the product of his offseason actions from the bench. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Where were the camera crews zooming in on him though? :laugh:

cheers Bry,

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Merry Christmas, I'm glad that you and the other Gagner fans got some enjoyment out of this game as there hasn't been much to enjoy for any of us this season.

Yeah, I disagree with that. Gagner can be an effective point producer with the right linemates. And you can't question his heart. No reason he couldn't be a winner in this league.
ftr I wasn't referencing you with my earlier comment about guys certain to be absent from this thread.

He is young enough to prove me right or wrong.

No worries, I'm not one to hide even when things are rough which with this team is every ****ing game :rant:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If the only real argument to have him on the team is so terrible management doesnt waste ELCs...
Hes a center who averages 40 points a season, His offence is medicore, his defence isnt very good.. Good for him though, outproducing that AHLer Arcobello by a grand total of four points. Hes just not a player who you win with as one of your top centers, and wont adapt himself to becoming a 3. As I said earlier, he was benched by the Coyotes, doesnt that tell you something?
Everyone should be upset about Dubnyk, given the Eakins swarm for 20 games and thrown off a cliff.

best player on the ice.. hes playing the Edmonton Oilers, let that sink in

Where do people get this malarkey from?

If your 2nd line Center is getting around 45pts/year that's beyond the curve production. That's good for 2nd unit Center production. Especially on a bad club. It isn't hard to check NHL stats and have even a reasonably informed opinion on that. I mean one that even has a basis in fact.

edit I'm bored so I'll hash this out a little. Gagner had an off season last year due to injury where everything in his play was not representative. Fact of the matter is in the 6 previous seasons Gagner has AVERAGED being the 44th top NHL scoring Center from years 07-08 to 12-13. He was 18-23 yrs old during that time and BEATING the average for what a second line Center would produce if one considers theres 30 teams..

Next, Gagner is not an average 40pt player. That infers sub .500 ppg production. Gagners career ppg production including recent rough patches is still over .600ppg. Inconvenient truth I realize.

So how is that "mediocre" production for a young 2nd line Center? Oh wait, it isn't. Can we put that notion to pasture?

As for Dubnyk he wasn't even required to be good tonight. Oilers didn't put up a lot of quality chances.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We have a lot more games left this season to test that theory and test it we will! :cry:

Merry Christmas, I'm glad that you and the other Gagner fans got some enjoyment out of this game as there hasn't been much to enjoy for any of us this season.

He is young enough to prove me right or wrong.

No worries, I'm not one to hide even when things are rough which with this team is every ****ing game :rant:

Yeah there hasn't been much to enjoy. Flames even stole my enjoyment of the Kings game the night before. :laugh:

Least I can enjoy MacT squirming a bit. Would enjoy Lowe doing that too if he wasn't in the witness protection program..

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Ference needs to be taken behind the barn

We need to sign Steve Macintyre, bring Aulie back in and sign Mike Bishai and have a brawl against Calgary

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah there hasn't been much to enjoy. Flames even stole my enjoyment of the Kings game the night before. :laugh:

Least I can enjoy MacT squirming a bit. Would enjoy Lowe doing that too if he wasn't in the witness protection program..

MacT and Lowe can't possibly be back next season can they? If they are then Katz must be a Flames or Canucks Troll.

Ference needs to be taken behind the barn

We need to sign Steve Macintyre, bring Aulie back in and sign Mike Bishai and have a brawl against Calgary

Ference is worthless. Sit him and play Aulie.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
MacT and Lowe can't possibly be back next season can they? If they are then Katz must be a Flames or Canucks Troll.

Ference's leadership is whining that his team isn't more like the Bruins, then struggling to keep up with the play all night and praying the kids will win the game for him. Need some leaders again that are actually good at their position.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ference's leadership is whining that his team isn't more like the Bruins, then struggling to keep up with the play all night and praying the kids will win the game for him. Need some leaders again that are actually good at their position.

But he's the best bike rider on the team man! :naughty: At this rate I'd like to see the C on RNH's chest if we aren't bringing in any impact vets that aren't whiny or d-bags.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
...so with McDavid given exceptional status and labelled as a generational talent in 2012, what if he has been upper managements prize all along and has been since the 2012-2013 season?

Get your tin-foil hats on, but wow this team should not have regressed as much as it has since they drafted Nurse at #7 in 2013.

Yet, they fired Ralph who was improving the team and MacT hired a rookie AHL coach who led them back down the draft ladder last season. He then built a team with so many glaring holes for 2014-15 that the Oilers may not crack 50 points the year of the McDavid draft. They kept said AHL coach around long enough to get a lock down on a prime draft lottery position. This lead to so much heat coming from the city, they had to fire him to give the impression of "see, I'm doing something...now I'm going to coach to sort out the bad apples in the room". Nice cover.

As you can see, I love a good conspiracy theory.:naughty:

BTW...I haven't decided yet if I'm serious or joking with this post. I'm actually really starting to believe Katz & Co. have masterminded this diabolical plan to land McDavid and started hatching it in 2013.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Yup. LD will be another Yakupov at this rate.

Call me crazy but I think the oilers should have taken Virtanen with the pick. I've always liked him and watching him play in the wjc tonight, he is super fast and physical. He may become a beast and terrorize the oilers in a few years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

They'll still be here opening the new arena. Cutting ribbons and everything. Sick as it is.

AS long as Lowe is here MacT will have some kind of job here. We know Lowe isn't going anywhere.

Just as a side note, and not to make it sound wrong but I think something is medically wrong with Lowe right now. just some stuff I've heard in town. So jk and slamming aside I think the man is possibly ill right now.

I'm resisting a joke about his own team making him sick..

I tried to behave.

Bps21*

Call me crazy but I think the oilers should have taken Virtanen with the pick. I've always liked him and watching him play in the wjc tonight, he is super fast and physical. He may become a beast and terrorize the oilers in a few years.

Draisaitl would look dominant against people his own age and development too. In fact he looked so dominant when paired up with them that he was the consensus higher pick than Virtanen. It's only everything after the draft that makes it look different now. That can be rectified and turned around whenever someone gets around to common sensing what should be done with the poor kid.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
...so with McDavid given exceptional status and labelled as a generational talent in 2012, what if he has been upper managements prize all along and has been since the 2012-2013 season?

Get your tin-foil hats on, but wow this team should not have regressed as much as it has since they drafted Nurse at #7 in 2013.

Yet, they fired Ralph who was improving the team and MacT hired a rookie AHL coach who led them back down the draft ladder last season. He then built a team with so many glaring holes for 2014-15 that the Oilers may not crack 50 points the year of the McDavid draft. They kept said AHL coach around long enough to get a lock down on a prime draft lottery position. This lead to so much heat coming from the city, they had to fire him to give the impression of "see, I'm doing something...now I'm going to coach to sort out the bad apples in the room". Nice cover.

As you can see, I love a good conspiracy theory.:naughty:

BTW...I haven't decided yet if I'm serious or joking with this post. I'm actually really starting to believe Katz & Co. have masterminded this diabolical plan to land McDavid and started hatching it in 2013.

Honestly though...

Its comical how bad we are.

Like what the ****, last for this long? Give me a break. We could replace our whole organization's personnel with 10 yearolds and we would be in the same place as we are now.

Does Katz not realize how atrocious that is?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Ference is an odd player. The game has gotten bigger. Ference is a D. D have to be the biggest, heaviest players. He's responded by getting heavily into endurance training and becoming lighter. guy has some muscles but no bulk. he loses the battle of physics out there.

200lbs is a starting suggestion for an NHL D. Don't even apply if you don't have that. Ference is now 184lbs lmfao.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
They'll still be here opening the new arena. Cutting ribbons and everything. Sick as it is.

AS long as Lowe is here MacT will have some kind of job here. We know Lowe isn't going anywhere.

Just as a side note, and not to make it sound wrong but I think something is medically wrong with Lowe right now. just some stuff I've heard in town. So jk and slamming aside I think the man is possibly ill right now.

I'm resisting a joke about his own team making him sick..

I tried to behave.

It's been mentioned a few times here and there that he recently had hip replacement surgery. One poster here mentioned that he saw him walking around with a cane.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Wow. After tonight the Oilers are on pace for a 49 point season. You have to go back to the 1999-2000 Atlanta Thrashers to find a team that was so poor. And of course that was before the cap.

I have to think that this is going to start hitting the Oilers where it hurts - their pocketbook. How many people are still watching games on tv? How many people are buying merchandise? How many people are not even going to the game and thus not spending money of concessions? Maybe this is what we have to hope for. Maybe the Oilers need to be so bad for so long that even the hope of young talent isn't enough to keep fans coming back. Maybe if that happens Katz will wake up and realize he needs to swing his sledgehammer at the front office.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Apathy has set in. Rexall is a complete morgue. Beer sent from $8 to $8.50, why is that allowed? My nacho cheese was cold. Everything about this organisation is amateur. Including the on ice product. Garbage all around. Fire everyone.
Of course the price of beer is going up. That's the only thing the Oilers can offer their fans that they still want.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
We're 1-19 in our last 20gp...

10686697_10153466703489418_8790345825298320146_n.jpg

:amazed:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
More than half of those losses were with a one goal difference. Maybe just a bit better goaltending would've changed the whole picture. Scrivens and Fasth are career backups.

Even that's being a bit 'nice', going as a compliment to them.

Fasth maybe, but Scrivens is still like he was as an AHL Goaltender like he was with the Toronto organization with the Marlies.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah, Eichel will be good, but McDavid is the guy Lowe and Friends need to save their bacon. You can sell Canadian boy McDavid taken 1st overall to the tier 1's to sucker them for money this summer. Eichel and #2 pick? Not sure that will work nearly as well.

Eichel was drafted by Halifax and refused to report there when they had MacKinnon and Drouin. Do u think he will come here to this mess?

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I have lost my anger towards this team and just feel so sad.

How can this franchise continually fail and destroy players that were good over a time span of three years?

It's like they enjoy the fact that we are losing and don't give a damn. I gave MacT a chance but after watching our goalies gift wrap every single game, I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Who in this room felt that Scrivens and Faisth could actually be starters? I didn't, not for one moment.

Who felt that Ference would help this team? I didn't. Worse signing than Potter for god's sake. He is our captain? He's rotten.

Who thought that trading Smid for nothing would help this team? I didn't. It was a stupid, stupid trade and I cannot figure out why.

We are just so bad and I cannot wait for this season to end. It is just mind boggling that management and this damn owner of ours will end up trading our core players because for some odd reason they thought a bunch of kids with junk for leadership should carry the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Sadly, we'd get taken to the woodshed on any deal right now and they are stupid enough to do it.

I bet whoever gets drafted by us will pull a Lindros and that will the icing on the cake.

F U Management and Katz, you are the ones that should be embarrassed and I hope you are.

Merry *** Christmas.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
His offence is medicore, his defence isnt very good.
I think you made a mistake there. His offense is well above average and his defense is mediocre.
Good for him though, outproducing that AHLer Arcobello by a grand total of four points.
Sammy is just getting rolling here. Lets see how big that gap is by the end of the season - if Arco is still in the NHL by that point I mean.
Hes just not a player who you win with as one of your top centers
How would anyone know that since he's played on nothing but the worst teams in the league since being drafted.
he was benched by the Coyotes, doesnt that tell you something?
What is that supposed to tell me? Tippet benched him for a game. Big deal. Lots of very good players have been benched at one time or another during their career.
best player on the ice.. hes playing the Edmonton Oilers, let that sink in
I don't say he was the "best player on the ice", those are your words. But if you think he was, and the Oilers dressed three first overalls last night, what does that mean. Let that sink in ...
Same to you BBO. I'm taking that game as one of my Christmas presents this year. :p:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The players have obviously quit, wouldn't surprise me if several guys are trying to get traded. The locker room has to be putrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad