Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
Personally, I think LeBlanc is nothing more than a sneaky snake oil salesman. He's one hell of a politician. Talks out of both sides of his mouth one hundred miles per hour.
Never trusted a "future" boss who spoke like him. (Talk fast and round and round... it will confuse the idiots)
Did anyone catch the body and facial language of Maloney while at that Town Hall meeting. I have a gut feeling he knew what was going to happen to him.

Any one who has ever worked in a professional work environment (if you're smart enough) knows when the poop is going to hit that fan.

It's a shame Maloney was the fall guy by a group of businessmen trying to run a sports team.
The GM doesn't run the team on a day-to-day basis, the coach does.
I believe a meeting went down such as this between that coach and Drummond..
Coach: I built my dream/retirement home here. It cost me millions. My grandkids are an hour+ away. My wife and I are established within the Christian community and church.... blah blah blah

Now who in the professional business world hasn't been stabbed in the back (or worse... bend over...)?

I believe Don was THE scapegoat. I truly hope he lands on his feet with a team that has PROFESSIONAL Sports management and ownership.
All the best for him.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I hope Maloney takes the next two years off (while still collecting a paycheck from the team) unless he gets a real nice offer.

I think Tipp knew around the time that we were close to not qualifying for the playoffs. iirc, in the last 2-4 games, he started playing Chipchura, Grossmann (besides baby time), and Tikhonov rather than Plotnikov, Sekac, and other prospects that could have been brought up/looked at. I think he already knew he liked Plotnikov and wanted to evaluate Tikhonov further out for his more influenced 2016-2017 roster. Sekac wasn't spectacular in his time with us, but he was improving before Tipp began benching him towards the end.

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
I hope Maloney takes the next two years off (while still collecting a paycheck from the team) unless he gets a real nice offer.

Not knowing about the sports contract information... do you believe the team will pay the remainder of his contract?
CONSIDERING what the team paid Riebero to go away. I mean look at what the Flyers paid for- Ilyia what's his ugly- (goalie) to leave, just leave...

How many of us in the business world would like to have agents fight for us as athletes do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Futa sounds like a great option from what you guys are saying, but I'm not optimistic the Kings would even let us talk to him.

Any competent organization (which the Kings most certainly are) does not stand in the way of advancement for its employees.

Current GM's had to cut their teeth before getting one of the 30 big chairs available so it would be less than honourable to prevent someone following in your footsteps from seizing a similar opportunity. :)

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not knowing about the sports contract information... do you believe the team will pay the remainder of his contract?
CONSIDERING what the team paid Riebero to go away. I mean look at what the Flyers paid for- Ilyia what's his ugly- (goalie) to leave, just leave...

How many of us in the business world would like to have agents fight for us as athletes do?

I'm not sure, but I believe if a GM is fired before his contract ends, he is still payed throughout the original contract. Whether it's 100%, reduced, or the GM settles on a lower number is beyond my business knowledge. If the amount owed is enough to maintain his lifestyle, take the extended vacation :D

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
I'm not sure, but I believe if a GM is fired before his contract ends, he is still payed throughout the original contract. Whether it's 100%, reduced, or the GM settles on a lower number is beyond my business knowledge. If the amount owed is enough to maintain his lifestyle, take the extended vacation :D

Wouldn't it be nice if us plebs had this type of treatment by management....
I'd take my dream trip to Australia and New Zealand....:yo:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally, I think LeBlanc is nothing more than a sneaky snake oil salesman. He's one hell of a politician. Talks out of both sides of his mouth one hundred miles per hour.
Never trusted a "future" boss who spoke like him. (Talk fast and round and round... it will confuse the idiots)
Did anyone catch the body and facial language of Maloney while at that Town Hall meeting. I have a gut feeling he knew what was going to happen to him.

Any one who has ever worked in a professional work environment (if you're smart enough) knows when the poop is going to hit that fan.

It's a shame Maloney was the fall guy by a group of businessmen trying to run a sports team.
The GM doesn't run the team on a day-to-day basis, the coach does.
I believe a meeting went down such as this between that coach and Drummond..
Coach: I built my dream/retirement home here. It cost me millions. My grandkids are an hour+ away. My wife and I are established within the Christian community and church.... blah blah blah

Now who in the professional business world hasn't been stabbed in the back (or worse... bend over...)?

I believe Don was THE scapegoat. I truly hope he lands on his feet with a team that has PROFESSIONAL Sports management and ownership.
All the best for him.

:laugh: Yeah AL can come across that way. I believe he tried for office in Canada. That being said, I would rather have him than Barroway speak.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Wouldn't it be nice if us plebs had this type of treatment by management....
I'd take my dream trip to Australia and New Zealand....:yo:

Depends on the field you are in; take a look at what the banks and big corporations do when they fire high-level execs: "You're fired, but here's $10 million to tide you over until you find something new."

Other fields get similar payouts, but not usually more than 6 months or so and often at a reduced salary.

But, yes, that would be nice. Let's talk about Ribeiro:
2016-2017 1.4 million from Arizona and 3.5 from Nashville
2017-2018 1.9 million from Arizona and ?? if he signs elsewhere after that
2018-2019 1.9 million from Arizona and ?? if he signs elsewhere after that
2019-2020 1.9 million from Arizona and ?? if he signs elsewhere
Thus, he has one more year with Nashville and then he could go wherever he wants for a few years until his buyout ends and he can retire (I believe the buyout would end if he retired earlier). I'm sure he wouldn't mind signing a contract with the Edinburgh Capitals (SPHL) or Club Hielo Jaca (in Spain) would be of interest to him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Yes, Don gets 100% of his remaining contract until either 1) he accepts another job or 2) the contract ends. The Coyotes are on the hook for his contract until one of those two things happens.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Pretty ideal timing for the Don. Sit back and wait for an opportunity over the next couple of years while still collecting your paycheque. There should be a couple of opportunities to get back in the game in that time frame. If not, he'll find something to get back in the game.

While not intended as a criticism, I would venture a guess DM stuck to his guns in order to force ownership's hand into making a decision re:status quo vs making a change.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Any competent organization (which the Kings most certainly are) does not stand in the way of advancement for its employees.

Current GM's had to cut their teeth before getting one of the 30 big chairs available so it would be less than honourable to prevent someone following in your footsteps from seizing a similar opportunity. :)

I understand the reasons for why a team generally wouldn't deny an employee a good opportunity, even if it's with another team, but I was mainly thinking they might say no because we're in the same division. And keep in mind that supposedly the Leafs said no to u- wait, you said 'competent'*. :sarcasm:

And to be fair, Dallas did let us hire Tippett, so it's not entirely unthinkable that the Kings would allow us to talk to Futa.

*Just a joke since the current Leafs' management does seem competent.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Pretty ideal timing for the Don. Sit back and wait for an opportunity over the next couple of years while still collecting your paycheque. There should be a couple of opportunities to get back in the game in that time frame. If not, he'll find something to get back in the game.

While not intended as a criticism, I would venture a guess DM stuck to his guns in order to force ownership's hand into making a decision re:status quo vs making a change.

I agree, take time off, do some traveling/scouting (to keep up on players of interest), and weigh future offers.

I'm sure Maloney stood up to ownership; after all, they were just "giddy little school boys" at first so someone had to keep them in line. Of course, now they are serious veteran owners who feel a longer rebuild period is no longer in the team's best interest.

The good thing in this whole debacle is that if they don't make the playoffs next season, Tippett should be gone. So, my possible hiatus from the team may only last one season.

Out of curiosity, which of the Eastern Conference team's boards has the least number of trolls or know-it-alls but is still relatively active and interesting to visit? I gotta start narrowing down who I will follow next season, if things turn out poorly this offseason for the coyotes.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I posted recently that if anything was going to happen it would be now. I expected it to be Tippett to get the boot but the guy is wilier and more influential than I thought.

It's not wrong that GMDM goes, he's been here a long time and I like what he's done when he had to pick the franchise up from the floor. It was in a sad sack state when he arrived. Its better when its not an acrimonious split but it is worrying whether Tippett has too much control at this point. Hope that he does only have 1 year to prove he is building a better team than what we've seen.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yes, Don gets 100% of his remaining contract until either 1) he accepts another job or 2) the contract ends. The Coyotes are on the hook for his contract until one of those two things happens.
Vegas seems like a great landing spot for GMDM.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman: I think Jackson is the favourite for the job, until I hear otherwise. Also wouldn't be surprised if Maciver interviews.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Friedman: I think Jackson is the favourite for the job, until I hear otherwise. Also wouldn't be surprised if Maciver interviews.

Does this really add much? :laugh:

Apparently he Friedman has been visiting this board ;)

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Does this really add much? :laugh:

Apparently he Friedman has been visiting this board ;)

Stars fans seem to have nothing but positive things to say about Jackson. Which is good. He's given a lot of credit for piecing together many of the players that make up today's Dallas Stars. I'm just uncomfortable with his ties to Tippett. Arguably, Tipp would have more influence with his friend Jackson that he would with other candidates.

Let's hope another buddy of Tipp's, Coach Q, can talk up the candidacy of Norm Maciver.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Always liked Norm as a player. I think it will be a FOT or someone reaching above their station. I'm not sure we're getting someone who might have other options coming up (expansion).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stars fans seem to have nothing but positive things to say about Jackson. Which is good. He's given a lot of credit for piecing together many of the players that make up today's Dallas Stars. I'm just uncomfortable with his ties to Tippett. Arguably, Tipp would have more influence with his friend Jackson that he would with other candidates.

Let's hope another buddy of Tipp's, Coach Q, can talk up the candidacy of Norm Maciver.

Or maybe, Jackson could have more influence on DT.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Always liked Norm as a player. I think it will be a FOT or someone reaching above their station. I'm not sure we're getting someone who might have other options coming up (expansion).

Loved him as a player and he was vastly under rated.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Hope Dallas goes all the way and the Hawks lose in the first round. Increases the chance they get antsy and go with MacIver.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Vegas owner says that should he get the team in June, he expects to name a GM in July.

Could be Don's first shot.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bettman says that Foley (prospective Vegas owner) will know one way or another by June.

The NHL Awards are in Vegas that month, so that's probably a good time to make the announcement.

The Vegas team, or any expansion team, would begin play as early as the 2017-18 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad