Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Haven't seen it yet but HNIC 2nd intermission update had indications Maloney was going to be out after this year. Again I haven't seen exact wording but it's out there.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Haven't seen it yet but HNIC 2nd intermission update had indications Maloney was going to be out after this year. Again I haven't seen exact wording but it's out there.

What?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Would be incredibly stupid.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would be incredibly stupid.

I'm obviously not a fan but new owner may want new management plus Regeir issue and AHL debacle.

If they bring in Doug mAcLean I may need a couple of days.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm obviously not a fan but new owner may want new management plus Regeir issue and AHL debacle.

If Maloney gets fired, I'd start worrying about a draft day trade. GMs that have no real cause to be fired only ever get fired because they aren't telling 'ownership' what they want to hear. Drinking the koolaid and thinking you know best never has good results.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If Maloney gets fired, I'd start worrying about a draft day trade. GMs that have no real cause to be fired only ever get fired because they aren't telling 'ownership' what they want to hear. Drinking the koolaid and thinking you know best never has good results.

Mhm. "rebuild not happening fast enough"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Arizona Coyotes missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season, which has led to questions regarding the future of head coach Dave Tippett and general manager Don Maloney.

“One other situation to watch is Arizona,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said Saturday during the Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada…”Dave Tippett and Don Maloney have done a great job under very difficult circumstances but there are rumblings. Tippett has an out but it’s believed he wants to stay.

“(I) don’t know Maloney’s status. He, like many people in the organization, are not commenting.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dave-tippett-don-maloney-future-unclear-coyotes/

please leave Dave.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd miss Don, but we obviously need a kick in the pants. This might help. If we immediately do something stupid afterwards and Maloney was just let go because he was not on board, I will not be happy.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is this the same Sportsnet that let Kypreos say we'd trade OEL, Domi, and our 1st for Matthews?

Yeah, I'll believe it when someone else says something.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Should probably update the title to include Tippett.

I hope this is not a power play by DT to get Maloney out. They've never had a cordial working relationship in my mind. But if DT says "Yeah, I'll stay if you give me someone new to work with" then I can see Maloney being let go. I can also see that happening if Maloney wants to fire Playfair but DT protests.

I'd miss Don, but we obviously need a kick in the pants. This might help. If we immediately do something stupid afterwards and Maloney was just let go because he was not on board, I will not be happy.

What moves did he miss out on or went poorly that Tippett wasn't absolutely for? Ribiero? Smith? DT has his hands on everything.

Both go or nobody goes.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I'd fire tip 10x before gmdm. Poor guy had nothing but weak hands for years and still manages to trade rape more than most. Craig button disagrees too. Thinks we're set up very well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is what you get when there are no Canadian teams in the playoffs.

Just like with the OEL for number one pick.

Friedman is pretty hooked in (as the email leaks showed) so I consider it more than baseless speculation. Pretty sure after four years of no playoffs plus new ownership, jobs are under consideration.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014

*Chants* Chayka Chayka Chayka Chayka!!!!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I hope this is not a power play by DT to get Maloney out. They've never had a cordial working relationship in my mind. But if DT says "Yeah, I'll stay if you give me someone new to work with" then I can see Maloney being let go. I can also see that happening if Maloney wants to fire Playfair but DT protests.

Both go or nobody goes.

Agreed. Tipp has had more than a coach's fair voice in roster decisions to date.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Friedman is pretty hooked in (as the email leaks showed) so I consider it more than baseless speculation. Pretty sure after four years of no playoffs plus new ownership, jobs are under consideration.

If you watch the video it's pretty "meh". They're just killing time. It's nothing.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Interesting, my preference would be both don and tip or just tip. It does seem like mostly them filling air time though.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

If they want new management, they should start by getting a new coach, then start talking about a new GM.

GMDM should definitely be kept around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad