Confirmed with Link: Coyotes extend Travis Boyd (2 yr., $1.75M AAV)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Exactly. I hope Johan Larsson is willing to take the same deal Boyd just did.
Smart move to get out in front of it so it's not another distraction in the summer. Pay a little too much for a few years while building up the prospects. I heard someone speculate the Coyotes could do well with College free agents as well as the path to NHL dollars is a lot faster.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Smart move to get out in front of it so it's not another distraction in the summer. Pay a little too much for a few years while building up the prospects. I heard someone speculate the Coyotes could do well with College free agents as well as the path to NHL dollars is a lot faster.
I’d like to do both. Keep the guys that are working and sign some dart throws.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
No way any players will sign to play in a 5000 seat arena...or so I've been told. Yes, Boyd had other options.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No way any players will sign to play in a 5000 seat arena...or so I've been told. Yes, Boyd had other options.
I think you have a bad take in reality. Boyd is now being paid twice his expected contract. The argument is that no players with better options will sign, this one does nothing to disprove that. Still a smart signing though.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Curious where they see him fitting into the lineup next season.
He can fit anywhere in the lineup and that's probably the point of this signing.

Keller and Schmaltz will go through their off-season training knowing that they won't have to carry some other scrub. If there's no upgrades, our status quo top line is pretty decent.

Reactions: Mosby and Grimes

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think you have a bad take in reality. Boyd is now being paid twice his expected contract. The argument is that no players with better options will sign, this one does nothing to disprove that. Still a smart signing though.

Based on how he played this year and his age of 28 gave him options. Bottom line, he saw more positives than negatives. So will others.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I see your sarcasm meter is broken again.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Based on how he played this year and his age of 28 gave him options. Bottom line, he saw more positives than negatives. So will others.
I see roughly a zero percent chance that any offer above a million per year was coming for Boyd, the NHL just doesn't offer that kind of money up to lower half of lineup.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
That's a lot of money for Boyd, but whatever he's played well / made the most of a tough situation and we definitely have the cap space. Congrats on the raise Boyd!

Reactions: BAdvocate

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Super hyped for this. Picked up my first jersey since 2017 OEL during the DAL game a couple weeks ago and went with #72. Partially because I was confident #81 is gone this summer, but mostly because I've liked his game this year. Pumped to see a solid, well-rounded player get a chance this year and do good things with it, like rt alluded to. Pay him his money.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm ready to give Larsson's spot to Jenik.

I'm not interested in extending veteran players with hernia or groin or back issues. He's a well built SUV with relatively high mileage. I hope his next owner treats him well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He saw $$$. I doubt another team would have paid what he just signed for. Well deserved.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Good signing.

1. He's capable of keeping up with Keller and Schmaltz on offense enough that there's no sense in losing him for now.
2. The cost might actually be a benefit considering the contract and cap status of the next couple of seasons.
3. He's probably worth a third at best at the deadline and if they can't get anything better, then it's quite clear his value to the team is greater.
4. He's a good role model.
5. He's defensively sound which is something a lot of the young guys need good examples of.
6. He can slot up and down the line-up as the team transitions in the next couple of seasons without issue.
7. He wants to be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad