Claimed off Waivers: Coyotes claim Alex Burmistrov

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
This franchise has a lot of practice digging through dumpsters, so we know a fresh, half-eaten cheeseburger when we see one.

Roared.

With a cold and unable to breathe while eating (mouth breathing, the worst) my food went everywhere..... HAHA

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Advanced stats pointed to Marincin being above average. That's it. And yeah Fowler is/was pretty weak even when you keep in mind who his partners were.

"tell you" - I like the way you phrase it. It says everything.

It was nice when people actually watched players play hockey and judged their hockey playing ability on that :facepalm:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Nope, Maurice just broke him. He has plenty of offensive talent, he just needs to get the confidence timing right.

Thought Tippett could keep him grounded as well... but if Tippett gives him a long leash in a throwaway year he could prosper greatly.

Where is this offensive talent you speak of?

He's been underwhelming offensively even going back to junior.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
It was nice when people actually watched players play hockey and judged their hockey playing ability on that :facepalm:

I've been watching Fowler and I'm not all that impressed tbh.

The poster you quoted literally answered your question and even made you look silly in the process, yet you're continuing with a "they don't watch the game if they don't agree with me" stance eh? You do realize that to even get the stats and numbers that there are people watching the games to get those numbers right?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
How does this change any of what the other poster said? This isn't an issue with the player. It's an issue with the coaching staff not being clear to the player with what's happening and the frustration that naturally follows.

I would say that is false.
Burmi made this claim about Claude Noel before heading to the KHL.
Doing it again now with Maurice.
Mo confirmed several times to the media since he would be asked about Burmi every pre-game about their conversations and what he needed to do to get back in the line up.
Never once did Burmi admit that he wasn't producing or playing well. Never took ANY responsibility for his poor play.
There were literally back to back games that he gave the puck away on obvious dump in plays that directly resulted in goals against costing us points.
It's one thing to be a black hole on offense but excel at defense and possession... but the latter was no longer true.
Fans literally wanted Thorburn on the ice over him because his turn overs were at least predictable and you could see them coming.
Burmi's would come out of no where.
He'd deke three guys and then instead of shooting, passing or taking the puck to the net he would turn back to the boards to see how many other guys he could deke.
At times he was our 3C, on the PK and even a little bit of PP2 when we had our injuries.
2 assists and a whole lot of negative production.

How he thinks he can be in the line up with those results with all the forwards we have I'll never know.
You'd think a guy going into an RFA contract year would want to have a career year to bargain with?

I'm sure he'll troll the Jets with some points (goals) and then disappear into the night.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Decent pickup here. Can't really hurt the the Coyotes here, and maybe they get an NHL player for free.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He also bailed on the Jets for 2 seasons
Good riddance
Quoted wrong post
Oh well

didn't like him from day 1. but to say he bailed. you do know what the fa stands for in rfa right.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He was really good for the Jets from 2011-2013. He didn't score a lot, but he played with Kane and Wellwood for a decent amount of time, and while Kane is a volume shooter, Wellwood was incredibly smart with the puck, so they did some work. He was incredibly good on the defensive end, and was a solid PKer. Then he got fed up with Claude Noel and booked it to Russia for 2 seasons. He hasn't been the same since. Perhaps Chayka and Tippett can wrestle some of that old NHL game that Burmi used to play out of him. Either way, he's a decent middle 6 player (when he uses his linemates), and is most effective when playing center. Good, low risk reclamation project by Chayka. I expect him to try to bolt for the KHL again this off-season if it doesn't go well for him this time.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Lets see...

25 or Under.. Yes

Low cap hit... Yes...

Pulse...Kind of...

Chayka puts in a claim.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Because Burmi was a legitimate NHL player at the age of 20 and 21? He may have regressed since then but if he gets fed a lot of cushy minutes he might be able to find his game again.

Cushy minutes on a team with no talent?

Nov 24, 2006
When the Jets landed in Winnipeg, I was sure this guy was due to break out and become a good offensive centre. Problem was, he didn't.

The coach at the time (Claude Noel) wasn't a fan of his "east-west" game, meaning he would dipsy doodle around the ice, never heading towards the net. Apparently, Paul Maurice felt the same way.

He was never going to overtake Bryan Little or Mark Scheifele in a top 6 centre position. But then, he couldn't really even take over bottom 6 centre positions either.

Basically, he played himself down the depth chart to the point where he wasn't on it anymore. It happens. I guess going to a centre-starved team like the Coyotes, maybe he gets top 6 minutes and it's boom or bust at that point. This was a good risk for the Coyotes to take IMO.

I suspect he fails, but I'll be happy for him if this turns his career around. Someone in this thread said he had attitude problems. Completely uninformed. Best of luck to you Alex.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
How does this change any of what the other poster said? This isn't an issue with the player. It's an issue with the coaching staff not being clear to the player with what's happening and the frustration that naturally follows.

I am betting you didn't read the article. Burmi says the coach didn't talk to him, Maurice says he has talked very frequently with Burmi. So we really have no clue what went down, only have "he said she said" situation here.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He doesn't know how to dump a puck and his shot and offensive instincts are horrible. Decent in his own zone and battles when he feels like it. Don't think he'll ever improve. A decent 4th liner/PKer if that is what you want.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Why did I think Burmistrov was meant to be a good player?

Was I in fairy land, or was he some highly touted draft pick or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad