GDT: Coyotes at Flames. 7pm MT on SN360

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If Bennett keep playing like that we don't need to make any trades up front. Third line looked nasty tonight. He and Janko were splitting faceoff duties in the third as well.
Still not going to amount him 1c over Monahan lol
100% this. Not about to hand Bennett the #1 center role after scoring his 5th and 6th points of the season. He looked good with Janko and Jagr though. Probably the best line last night.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know about that, OKG, because I kept noticing that when the Yotes got their offensive zone pressure tonight, it was generally with our fourth line on the ice.

I do like Stajan. I don't know if he has the gas left to play hockey as well as he thinks it.

It's more than just a suspicion on your part; from last night:
The worst CF%Rel on the team from last night:
Mike Stone: -23.23%
Matt Stajan: -14.76%
Brett Kulak: -14.57%
Troy Brouwer: -14.76%
Garnet Hathaway: -11.96%

Just a note, outside of the 4th line, no one was under 50%; and in fact the difference between the best 4th line/3rd pairing to worst top 9/top 4 was:
4th line to top 9: 4.46%
3rd pairing to top 4: 9.90%

IF the Flames want to make some noise they have to figure out that bottom 5.
It's worth noting, that the 3rd pairing had a really strong game when they were played with the Janko/Bennett/Jagr line (oddly enough, really bad 3 minutes with the 3M line).

I wouldn't play the third pairing with the 4th line if my life depended on it. Have the Gio/Hamilton pairing out there to move the puck forward and generate shots.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Bummed the top line has seemed to lost all finish. Not getting a single point against the worst team in the league is pretty disappointing. Watching Johnny in the Art Race has been the highlight of the season for me.

O'well. Good game from the third line. Jankowski looks fantastic. I love Feaster's drafting.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
It's early, but if the Flames win, Oilers playoff chances are looking really bad. Huge game in that sense.

Whoever wins on Saturday is making the playoffs.

The loser won't be completely done for but it will send either club into a bit of a spin, especially if it's not a close final.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's early, but if the Flames win, Oilers playoff chances are looking really bad. Huge game in that sense.

My Oiler fan buddy was telling me last night that the Flames can end the Oilers' season on Saturday.

Two days prior, my Oiler fan buddy was telling me that if the Oilers beat the Leafs and won the BoA, they could be within two points of the Flames on Sunday.

My Oiler fan buddy is a drama queen.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My Oiler fan buddy was telling me last night that the Flames can end the Oilers' season on Saturday.

Two days prior, my Oiler fan buddy was telling me that if the Oilers beat the Leafs and won the BoA, they could be within two points of the Flames on Sunday.

My Oiler fan buddy is a drama queen.

He would fit in here if he was a Flames fan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah gotta say not liking our chances the Oilers. This team just gets caught up in watching McDavid skate circles around them and forgets that they have to try. I'd just get the Backlund line and first pairing on the McDavid line all game. They're good enough, in theory, to keep him quiet.

Would be nice if Johnny really took it to them. Can't remember the last time he's gotten a goal in the BoA.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah gotta say not liking our chances the Oilers. This team just gets caught up in watching McDavid skate circles around us and forgets that they have to try. I'd just get the Backlund line and first pairing on the McDavid line all game. They're good enough to keep him quiet.

Would be nice if Johnny really took it to them. Can't remember the last time he's gotten a goal in the BoA.
Was it that time he lost the puck on a breakaway and it went in anyway? :laugh:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I guess the good news is that we're coming up against a team that employs Lucic, Kassian, and Maroon so it should be incredibly easy to goad them into taking moronic penalties and put a PK that's as bad as ours to work.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I guess the good news is that we're coming up against a team that employs Lucic, Kassian, and Maroon so it should be incredibly easy to goad them into taking moronic penalties and put a PK that's as bad as ours to work.

Time for Chucky and Hathaway to do their magic.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the Flames lose it really sucks but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unless the less is more, think about it.

For this game I would move Bennett back to C and put him up against McDavid, I think he will rise to the occasion. Sadly I will not get to see it.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

For this game I would move Bennett back to C and put him up against McDavid, I think he will rise to the occasion. Sadly I will not get to see it.

I think that's an absolutely terrible idea but that's just me

Reactions: Flameshomer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Well then you can't have Jagr on the line because he cannot keep up with the speed so it would result in a total line shake-up.

Maybe F. Hamilton-Bennett-Lazar line could match-up with McDavid line but I think tt would be better just to play the top two lines against him and get the bottom 2 lines off the ice immediately when he is on.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well then you can't have Jagr on the line because he cannot keep up with the speed so it would result in a total line shake-up.

Maybe F. Hamilton-Bennett-Lazar line could match-up with McDavid line but I think tt would be better just to play the top two lines against him and get the bottom 2 lines off the ice immediately when he is on.

I just don't think you could match Bennett up against McDavid, given he isn't a quality two-way player.

Good two-way players don't go pointless in 80% of their games.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I just don't think you could match Bennett up against McDavid, given he isn't a quality two-way player.

Good two-way players don't go pointless in 80% of their games.

I agree.

I wouldn't match him up either but you absolutely can't match him up if Jagr is on the line that makes zero sense.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Really glad Smitty got the shutout against Arizona. That had to have felt good. Remember, they retained, so they're paying him to not play for them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett matched up fine against all the Ducks and was our best player in the playoffs last year. He’s a gamer, and sometimes when you give guys like that tough assignments, you see exponential growth. He’s also friends with McDavid and I think he would surprise people.

Bennett’s problem isn’t his game, it’s all upstairs and the coach needs to find different ways to pull different strings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad