Coyotes Arena Situation - Part 2(weeks) - Arena Site Chosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
Deferring money on Shane Doan's deal has allowed us to funnel that much more money into the stadium project with our partners who we are so close to a deal with that we refuse to name them. We have plenty of money. Don't you worry about that. We'll have a lower actual salary cost than last year, despite making a special point of mentioning we have lots of money to spend and are disappointed we didn't spend even more when firing our last general manager.
I know we said we'd fill you in in May and again in June, but things with our unnamed partners at an unnamed location are definitely on track. If there's one thing you can believe it's that we have plenty of money. Total nonfactor. Deals almost done.

P.S. I couldn't help but notice you all haven't renewed your season tickets. Please consider doing that. We'll remind you again in four days. But not because we need your money.

Of course performance bonuses are deferred money, since it is very hard to pay a bonus for something that hasn't happened yet.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I don't get it. Most of the players on the team are from Canada. So is the coaching staff, the management group, and the ownership group.

I wouldn't want them going to the place where Yotes fans (which I am an honorary one) have been mocked and harassed for two decades. It would be like if Johnny won at the end of the Karate Kid and Alli got back with him.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I visit GRA for ery home game, it's very cool.

I'll visit if they're in Tempe, Scottsdale, or Phoenix as well. I think that would be cool too.

You east valley folks that are into vacation should look at going to GRA as a bunch of mini vacations.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I visit GRA for ery home game, it's very cool.

I'll visit if they're in Tempe, Scottsdale, or Phoenix as well. I think that would be cool too.

You east valley folks that are into vacation should look at going to GRA as a bunch of mini vacations.

Five nights at the Renaissance in a two-week period, stadium concession prices, game tickets...pretty soon you're talking real money :D

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Im looking at buying season tickets for a couple thousand of my friends, Kihekah, but we dont have a framework in place yet or any agreements, so it's all very hush-hush at the moment. Don't you worry though. I've got plenty of money.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Kansas City is more appealing to you as a vacation destination than Quebec City?
Vacation destination?! I wouldn't consider either of them anything special, they're just normal cities. That said I don't see why you'd hate on KC, be honest, do you really know anything about KC or do you just feel like you do? I wouldn't go to Quebec City because it's too damn far just to see a hockey team (one that left me at the alter no less) and that's the only reason I'd ever consider going there in the first place.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know Kansas City but can tell you that Quebec City is not ordinary as a vacation destination. It is very rich in history and quite different from almost all NA Cities. That said I don't like not being able to speak the language of anywhere that I visit so not that big a fan of QC.
Vacation destination?! I wouldn't consider either of them anything special, they're just normal cities. That said I don't see why you'd hate on KC, be honest, do you really know anything about KC or do you just feel like you do? I wouldn't go to Quebec City because it's too damn far just to see a hockey team (one that left me at the alter no less) and that's the only reason I'd ever consider going there in the first place.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I have small dreams. My ultimate fantasy is to fly to Maine for 4th of July on the beach, eat lobster rolls, and drink strong ales. Then ride the train in the posh bar car along the line from QC, Trois Rivieres, and Montreal. Google images tells me that QC (for my money, and this is 100% subjective) is the most beautiful city in North America by a wide margin. I've also come to understand that Quebec is a province of smoked meat lovers of beer lovers and of gravy and sauce lovers. That's me. All of that. My favorite brewery is in Quebec. I've watched all of the travel shows in Quebec. I'm hoping to go there before I'm dead and before I'm too old and too sore.

I don't know anything about Kansas City. I've spent a lot of time in Dallas and a lot of time on Charlotte. I've been to Baltimore a couple of times. And Philadelphia. I've never spent any time in KC, though. I'm not ******** on it. I love Barbeque and would probably like KC. To me this is akin to asking"why would you want to go to Brussels when you've never been to Baltimore?"

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't know Kansas City but can tell you that Quebec City is not ordinary as a vacation destination. It is very rich in history and quite different from almost all NA Cities. That said I don't like not being able to speak the language of anywhere that I visit so not that big a fan of QC.

I'd bet a large sum of money that there are more monolingual, non-English speakers per capita in the Phoenix area than there are in the Quebec area.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't get it. Most of the players on the team are from Canada. So is the coaching staff, the management group, and the ownership group.

Seriously? It's just how little we respect the hockey community in Winnipeg, Hamilton and QC after they took such joy in our distress over the past two decades.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Then ride the train in the posh bar car along the line from QC, Trois Rivieres, and Montreal.

Ugh, I went the other direction. Towards Ottawa. And not in the bar car.

My favorite brewery is in Quebec.

Which is?

To me this is akin to asking"why would you want to go to Brussels when you've never been to Baltimore?"

(for the record, Brussels is nicer :) )

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'll bet you the same amount that those who speak both languages in QC would have a very high percentage that will not speak English to you even though they can. I'm from the East Coast and live in the West. I have driven through Quebec every year for the last 20, they just don't like English although I will admit it has gotten better since they lost the Referendum to separate but that's mostly the Montreal area. Quebec City is another beast and it's French first.
I'd bet a large sum of money that there are more monolingual, non-English speakers per capita in the Phoenix area than there are in the Quebec area.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I like QC but if I was choosing I would avoid the language hassle and take Halifax or Vancouver over QC any day. And that train ride is not nearly as exciting or beautiful as it sounds. The land you see between QC and Montreal is anywhere Canada.
I have small dreams. My ultimate fantasy is to fly to Maine for 4th of July on the beach, eat lobster rolls, and drink strong ales. Then ride the train in the posh bar car along the line from QC, Trois Rivieres, and Montreal. Google images tells me that QC (for my money, and this is 100% subjective) is the most beautiful city in North America by a wide margin. I've also come to understand that Quebec is a province of smoked meat lovers of beer lovers and of gravy and sauce lovers. That's me. All of that. My favorite brewery is in Quebec. I've watched all of the travel shows in Quebec. I'm hoping to go there before I'm dead and before I'm too old and too sore.

I don't know anything about Kansas City. I've spent a lot of time in Dallas and a lot of time on Charlotte. I've been to Baltimore a couple of times. And Philadelphia. I've never spent any time in KC, though. I'm not ******** on it. I love Barbeque and would probably like KC. To me this is akin to asking"why would you want to go to Brussels when you've never been to Baltimore?"

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Im looking at buying season tickets for a couple thousand of my friends, Kihekah, but we dont have a framework in place yet or any agreements, so it's all very hush-hush at the moment. Don't you worry though. I've got plenty of money.

I'm certain your fans are liking forward to it Mr. LeBlanc!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You made me curious so I looked into multilingual Quebec City. According to Stats Canada 95% have French as their mother tongue and about 1/3 speak English:

"According to the Statistics Canada website, 94.55% of Quebec City's population speaks French as their mother tongue. In addition, more than a third of city residents can speak both French and English."

That was from Wikipedia so not guaranteed truth???

Beautiful City though just the same.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
\

While that sounds nice it ignores this,

I'll bet you the same amount that those who speak both languages in QC would have a very high percentage that will not speak English to you even though they can. I'm from the East Coast and live in the West. I have driven through Quebec every year for the last 20, they just don't like English although I will admit it has gotten better since they lost the Referendum to separate but that's mostly the Montreal area. Quebec City is another beast and it's French first.

You made me curious so I looked into multilingual Quebec City. According to Stats Canada 95% have French as their mother tongue and about 1/3 speak English:

"According to the Statistics Canada website, 94.55% of Quebec City's population speaks French as their mother tongue. In addition, more than a third of city residents can speak both French and English."

Quebeccers aren't too keen on English, there is huge language divide. They have a language police in Quebec.. Like Jamieh said, it has gotten better, but it is still not good. Montreal is better, but even there you'll have some people who will pretend not to know English if you're some tourist. There is still quite a big very anti-Canada, anti-English sentiment there. Which until recently was actually headed by the guy who wants to bring the NHL to Quebec!

Quebec is the only place where I wouldn't continue to support the team. And I'm incredibly surprised to see people on here choose them as the #1 alternative. The fans are the worst I've seen when it comes to trying to belittle teams that they hope become theirs. I gladly enjoy watching them have no NHL team in an arena they were only able to afford because they receive 9 billion in welfare payments from the rest of Canada.

I don't think the team is going to move, but when it looked like they could Seattle was my #1 choice. I like Portland too. I wanted them to stay in the west and being in Seattle would create a nice rivalry with Vancouver. A team I already dislike :)

rt

May 13, 2004

Beautiful City though just the same.

Call bullsh. Right now. I'll bring this to page two.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You can call it what you want but in my experience this is the way it is in Quebec City. It is very difficult to get people to speak English to you whether they speak English or not. They are French and that's it. They are part of Canada but a very large percentage of the population would like to not be. To be very clear I'm talking about Quebec City and not Montreal, they are very different beasts and Montreal has more English areas. Moncton, NB has a rather large area of the City that doesn't speak English as well, it's really not that unique. Here is the table from Stats Can from 2011 election:

Mother tongue language (2006)

Mother tongue

Population

Percentage

French 456,225 94.55%
English 7,030 1.46%
English and French 1,460 0.31%
Other languages 17,825 3.69%
Unilingual French speakers 315,135 65.31%
Unilingual English speakers 835 0.17%
Bilingual French and English speakers 165,340 34.26%

Call bullsh. Right now. I'll bring this to page two.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
While that sounds nice it ignores this,

Quebeccers aren't too keen on English, there is huge language divide. They have a language police in Quebec.. Like Jamieh said, it has gotten better, but it is still not good. Montreal is better, but even there you'll have some people who will pretend not to know English if you're some tourist. There is still quite a big very anti-Canada, anti-English sentiment there. Which until recently was actually headed by the guy who wants to bring the NHL to Quebec!

Quebec is the only place where I wouldn't continue to support the team. And I'm incredibly surprised to see people on here choose them as the #1 alternative. The fans are the worst I've seen when it comes to trying to belittle teams that they hope become theirs. I gladly enjoy watching them have no NHL team in an arena they were only able to afford because they receive 9 billion in welfare payments from the rest of Canada.

I don't think the team is going to move, but when it looked like they could Seattle was my #1 choice. I like Portland too. I wanted them to stay in the west and being in Seattle would create a nice rivalry with Vancouver. A team I already dislike :)

This is the reputation of Quebec City. I can attest as I've heard similar comments. Apparently anglophone spouses in the past have had issue. I can't verify myself but that is reputation and to me a big concern for me as I do believe it would negatively impact ability to recruit and retain players.

rt

May 13, 2004
This is the reputation of Quebec City. I can attest as I've heard similar comments. Apparently anglophone spouses in the past have had issue. I can't verify myself but that is reputation and to me a big concern for me as I do believe it would negatively impact ability to recruit and retain players.

It's been a quarter of a century. Things have changed since Eric Lindros was a teenager.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Have you ever been there? I agree that the people will be more cognizant of English players after losing their team and doing without for so long but Quebec City is not that different than 25 years ago in the French vs English sense. If anything their French language police have made it much worse for English only folks and businesses.
It's been a quarter of a century. Things have changed since Eric Lindros was a teenager.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct. It's hard to believe until you visit.

rt

May 13, 2004
Have you ever been there? I agree that the people will be more cognizant of English players after losing their team and doing without for so long but Quebec City is not that different than 25 years ago in the French vs English sense. If anything their French language police have made it much worse for English only folks and businesses.

No. My only foray into Canada was BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad