Post-Game Talk: Coyotes 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Deserves Got Everything to Do With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bonino has been our worst forward this year. Worse than Kuhn, Fehr, Wilson, etc. He's really bad this year.

I don't think Wilson or Kuhn have been bad and Fehr at center has actually been decent. Kuhn is just a numbers game, unfortunately, and Wilsoni s playing really well on L4.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think Wilson or Kuhn have been bad and Fehr at center has actually been decent. Kuhn is just a numbers game, unfortunately, and Wilsoni s playing really well on L4.

I'm just saying that our 4th line is all outplaying Bonino, including the ones taking turns sitting in the press box when we're healthy.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The fact that a player the caliber of Phil Kessel has largely been a non-factor at even strength all season tells you all you need to know about the caliber of Bonino's play this season.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm just saying that our 4th line is all outplaying Bonino, including the ones taking turns sitting in the press box when we're healthy.

Agreed. If I had to put a top 3 list of bad, i'd go with -

1) Bonino
2) Maatta
3) Up for debate (Kunitz? Fleury?)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't know if Daley is having a bad season because he's over compensating for Maatta or what? I, personally, don't see Daley as being as bad as everyone has made it out to be. He's not the worst, by far. I think he suffers from Maatta's inability.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just don't know if Daley is having a bad season because he's over compensating for Maatta or what? I, personally, don't see Daley as being as bad as everyone has made it out to be. He's not the worst, by far. I think he suffers from Maatta's inability.

possibly. Its just very noticeable with him because I expected him to be very good. I guess I'm just less surprised by Kunitz and Fleury, and in theory they will be in smaller roles when it matters.

Thank god for Schultz and Cole stepping up.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Really don't think you can overstate how bad Bonino has been this year. He is a problem based on his usage.

Hagelin hasn't blown the doors off either, but he's improved away from Bonino. So has Kessel. In fact, looking at the numbers, the only players who haven't seen an insane spike in CF% when away from Bonino compared to with him are Wilson and, inexplicably, Malkin. Everyone else improves dramatically. Fehr jumps from a 29 CF% (!!) to a 43.1. Kessel sees a jump from 43.6 to 50.9; Hagelin goes from 46.9 to 58.3.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Really don't think you can overstate how bad Bonino has been this year. He is a problem based on his usage.

Hagelin hasn't blown the doors off either, but he's improved away from Bonino. So has Kessel. In fact, looking at the numbers, the only players who haven't seen an insane spike in CF% when away from Bonino compared to with him are Wilson and, inexplicably, Malkin. Everyone else improves dramatically. Fehr jumps from a 29 CF% (!!) to a 43.1. Kessel sees a jump from 43.6 to 50.9; Hagelin goes from 46.9 to 58.3.

Not saying that Bonino hasn't been bad, but the CFrel's are a bit unfair as most are then playing with Sid or Geno instead of Bonino...

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I sincerely hope Sully finally pulls out some good line combos at practice tomorrow.

I want to see Sid/Horny, Malkin/Kessel duos and Kunitz far, far away from the top 6 (this is assuming Malkin hasn't had another setback). Bonino needs demoted to the 4th line. Cullen can be our 3C.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Most of the team was terrible. Fleury let's up 4 goals on 25 shots to the second worst team in the league, with a major "Fleury" moment to lose the game in OT. Can he please go away now? He... does... not... help... the... team. Terrible backup.

Can't get rid of him if nobody wants him.

And, at the same time, when all he's playing is 1-2 games each month, he's probably not going to be good.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Can't get rid of him if nobody wants him.

And, at the same time, when all he's playing is 1-2 games each month, he's probably not going to be good.

It all boils down to keeping him being a mistake and now it's just trying to correct the initial mistake.

Playing him is a problem because it impacts Murray, he could get hurt and him struggling is bad for his value. Not playing him doesn't look great and when they have to play him it's an adventure. It's a cluster****.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Maybe the Pens just didn't wake up for a game against Phoenix? Hard to care about a game against AHLers.

But Sid and Fleury were just.... sub par.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sid just might be feeling the pressure of Archibald taking his place in the lineup. He has to get thru that.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It all boils down to keeping him being a mistake and now it's just trying to correct the initial mistake.

Playing him is a problem because it impacts Murray, he could get hurt and him struggling is bad for his value. Not playing him doesn't look great and when they have to play him it's an adventure. It's a cluster****.

Yup. It all comes back to the decision to keep him. I don't think anyone here would argue that he'd be playing much better if he was getting a starter's workload, but you don't want (or need) to take starts away from Murray.

It comes down to the Pens picking their proverbial poison, and I think they've made the right decision to be focusing on Murray even if it means rolling the dice any time Fleury starts.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Doesn't matter who is on Sid's right when Kunitz is on his left. Sid will never score again.

This! It seemed like I said "Kunitz *****ng sucks" at least 13 times last night. Every time he was on the ice. This is not in anyway an attempt to defend Sid's play, cause it's been atrocious, but just watching the pair last night, it's just not working. Kunitz can do nothing with the puck. And I think Sid knows it. In turn, instead of trying harder, he gets frustrated and lazy.

And as far as Guentzel goes, he has some talent, but doesn't look as good as he did early on, IMO. And personally, I think he looked worse than butt with Sid and Kunitz. I know hating on Guentzel is a crime here, a felony depending on the level, but IMO he hasn't looked good lately. And again, this is just my opinion.

Such a weird game last night. Archibald and Kuhnackel by far the best players for the Pens. Even the Coyotes announcers (although those characters seem to know less about hockey than a casual fan) mentioned that. When Kuhn/Fehr/Archibald is by far your best line, your every day NHLers need to sack up.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the vets, Sid/Letang/etc. wanted to give a great performance for Fleury last night, they sure **** the bed in that regard. :laugh:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
possibly. Its just very noticeable with him because I expected him to be very good. I guess I'm just less surprised by Kunitz and Fleury, and in theory they will be in smaller roles when it matters.

Thank god for Schultz and Cole stepping up.

In theory?

bylsma1_330.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad