Post-Game Talk: Coyotes 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Deserves Got Everything to Do With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
I thought Sid looked better tonight. He had some chances and made a few plays.

We still have a relatively soft schedule this month. Vancouver and Winnipeg at home this week, then CBJ on the road followed by Detroit at home. So should be a good week to get rolling again for all involved.

Winnipeg and Vancouver are not soft. Proof: ask Chicago and La.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We play the Canucks on Tuesday. I expect Sid to bounce 28 pucks off of Daniel Sedin before scoring on our own net to expedite the process.

You laugh and make jokes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. :laugh:

Sid is superstitious to a fault sometimes.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Tonight fully convinced me McDavid is winning the scoring title.

Love Sid but just couldn't take any advantage of 3 games in hand against garbage teams.

Also, I don't get why everyone loves Larry Fitzgerald so much. We all know the Penguins are more Penn State fans ;)

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I don't remember laughing.

one-of-the-most-famous-scenes-in-goodfellas-is-based-on-something-that-actually-happened-to-joe-pesci.jpg

"You think I'm funny?"

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
guys, i wonder if having played through a lot of games in the past year and some is catching up with some of the players: ex Crosby, Bonino, Daley, Maata. The only one i see fresh and energized in this last game was Kessel. I wish Crosby would have a few games off just for maintenance sake. I have never played hockey but i just wonder if the fatigue factor doesn't become a problem down the line. Tbh, i see no difference whether Pit gets ranked 3rd or 7th, you would just hope they avoid playing washington in the 1st round(8th). If it means tanking it to get some guys rest, so be it. I realize it might be too early though.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Highlights only read on the game:

Fleury played a prototypical fleury bad game. One if not two of the goals were "come on come up with h that" and the OT goal just shouldn't have went in. I heard he made some saves but I can't say from not watching.

The D seemed to be standing around at times.

From the replay I thought the ref straight up blew the Bonino non goal. It looked like the puck was laying right there and he could've seen it through the netting. Obviously it was wrong to blow it down but I don't know how he couldn't have seen that puck.

Good for Archibald. That second goal was pretty damn hard to do for any player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Highlights only read on the game:

Fleury played a prototypical fleury bad game. One if not two of the goals were "come on come up with h that" and the OT goal just shouldn't have went in. I heard he made some saves but I can't say from not watching.

The D seemed to be standing around at times.

From the replay I thought the ref straight up blew the Bonino non goal. It looked like the puck was laying right there and he could've seen it through the netting. Obviously it was wrong to blow it down but I don't know how he couldn't have seen that puck.

Good for Archibald. That second goal was pretty damn hard to do for any player.

Ref blew it dead because of the penalty I think. Which was still wrong.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tonight fully convinced me McDavid is winning the scoring title.

Love Sid but just couldn't take any advantage of 3 games in hand against garbage teams.

Also, I don't get why everyone loves Larry Fitzgerald so much. We all know the Penguins are more Penn State fans ;)

if there's one thing everyone knows, its that a player never gets out of a slump.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The amount of *****ing about line combinations and the significance thereof when the Pens are playing without 4 forwards who comprise their top 9 under any configuration is just absurdity.

2 brief points.

1.) The lines were a bit of a mess when they were healthy.

2.) The lines are bad independant of the injuries. There is absolutely no reason Kunitz and Bonino should be playing key offensive roles.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg and Vancouver are not soft. Proof: ask Chicago and La.

Well obviously on the right night anyone can beat us. See: Arizona and Colorado.

On paper both Vancouver/Winnipeg are bad teams though and we're facing them at home. We should be able to run both teams out of the building, especially if Geno is back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just watched my replay. Gave up hope at 10min in the 3rd. Entertaining game the last 5min. Thought they had a chance. PPs are a awful. Like...a special kind of awful. Awful like whichever coach is in charge should be given the "you're about to be ****ing fired" look.

Sid sucked. What a complete non-effort.

Literally, the only players that gave a **** tonight were Hornqvist, Guentzel, Archibald, and Rowney. Horny...and the WBS boys.

This is where a good shake up trade to tell these guys to get their ***** in gear may help.

MAF...pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Who should be in the Top 6, then? You have 87, 72, 81, Geuntzel, and who?

The old guy who is actually still good. Then Fehr is free to play center, his better position.

And I'd love to see you justify Bonino on pp1. What about Letang instead of Schultz on pp1? What about when he had Rust on Sid's right when they were healthy? What about when they were healthy and they were running Kessel with Bonino every night?

Say it with me: this has been a problem for quite awhile.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
When healthy it's obviously Sheary and Rust or Hagelin.

Right now? Hornqvist should be, and Kunitz should not be.

Right. He's the 72 I listed. Who are the other two Top-6 forwards if not Bonino or Kunitz? Your choices:

Fehr
Rowney
Cullen
Kuhnackl
Archibald
Wilson

So yeah, to complain about the line combinations last night is ridiculous. If the line combos suck when everyone is back, that's one thing. But my God.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Who should be in the Top 6, then? You have 87, 72, 81, Geuntzel, and who?

I'd go with Cullen and Wilson, but one could make the argument that there's no point in calling up Rowney and/or Tiny Archibald to play so few minutes (Archibald had the 2nd-least minutes, 6sec more than Fehr) when they have so many big minute players to fill in for.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'd go with Cullen and Wilson, but one could make the argument that there's no point in calling up Rowney and/or Tiny Archibald to play so few minutes (Archibald had the 2nd-least minutes, 6sec more than Fehr) when they have so many big minute players to fill in for.

And one can argue they are better choices. Maybe. But it's not like they are SO CLEARLY DESERVING OF BEING ON THE TOP LINE that it's worth this anguish.

And what else should they have done? Not called anyone up? Archibald and Rowney are journeymen minor league guys. It's not like you're depriving them of development using them the way they did.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Right. He's the 72 I listed. Who are the other two Top-6 forwards if not Bonino or Kunitz? Your choices:

Fehr
Rowney
Cullen
Kuhnackl
Archibald
Wilson

So yeah, to complain about the line combinations last night is ridiculous. If the line combos suck when everyone is back, that's one thing. But my God.

Bonino is our worst forward by far. I'd rather have any of their other healthy centers on L2. At the very least, the other guys wouldn't be posession black holes and Kessel might occasionally get a chance to have the puck in the offensive zone.

Sullivan is playing his worst forward on the top pp unit. I'd argue that it is stupid not to criticize Sullivan's line combos just because of the injuries.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Bonino is our worst forward by far. I'd rather have any of their other healthy centers on L2. At the very least, the other guys wouldn't be posession black holes and Kessel might occasionally get a chance to have the puck in the offensive zone.

Sullivan is playing his worst forward on the top pp unit. I'd argue that it is stupid not to criticize Sullivan's line combos just because of the injuries.

Bonino is worse than Fehr, Archibald, Rowney, Kuhnackl, and Kunitz. Ok. If you really think that then there's no point in this argument.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Bonino is worse than Fehr, Archibald, Rowney, Kuhnackl, and Kunitz. Ok. If you really think that then there's no point in this argument.

Bonino has absolutely been worse than all of those guys. I have no idea what you are watching that suggests otherwise. In terms of career, he's better than all of those guys save Kunitz. His current level of play? He is absolutely and clearly worse than all of those guys.

What's next? Are you going to justify him being on pp1 over Guentzel?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Bonino has absolutely been worse than all of those guys. I have no idea what you are watching that suggests otherwise. In terms of career, he's better than all of those guys save Kunitz. Hos current level of play? He is absolutely and clearly worse than all of those guys.

What's next? Are you going to justify him being on pp1 over Guentzel?

I'm not defending his usage on the power play. I'm just saying the hyperbole about his play is a bit much.

They played without 4 of their 8 best forwards on the road and outshot and outchanced Arizona. Yeah, I know Arizona sucks, but the sky is falling mentality over last night is strange.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm not defending his usage on the power play. I'm just saying the hyperbole about his play is a bit much.

They played without 4 of their 8 best forwards on the road and outshot and outchanced Arizona. Yeah, I know Arizona sucks, but the sky is falling mentality over last night is strange.

There is no hyperbole, he's been our worst forward all year. To suggest he is not can only be based on his career reputation as a solid 3rd line center.

The guy has 21 points and he's been playing with Kessel and getting time on the 2nd pp unit virtually all year.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If people really want to criticize something, I'd look more at the facts that Maatta continues to play every night and Fleury starts in anything other than a back-to-back. Those are far bigger issues that cost them points than whether Kunitz or Wilson is a Top-6 forward when 1/2 the roster is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad