Post-Game Talk: Coyotes 2 Losers 1

Jun 9, 2011
I keep Lowe, make NO trades to the roster, fire Semenko, Bucky (just cause it bugs me that he is still here), fire Howson, MacT, Chabot and Eakins. Use the Oil Kings goalie coach if we have to for a bit. Hire a coach/gm (That's the only way I see us getting a strong NHL coach is with that carrot dangled). Don't promote guys to imaginary positions, they are big boys with lots of savings let them move on. I don't know who we get to coach/gm but there has to be someone respected in the hockey world available.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
God damn your arguments dumb. hurr durr this isn't Lowes team, no really, it's not like he hired the GM
or anything. That would be like saying Steve Jobs didn't make Apple what it is today.

Secondly conspiracy theories? I see you choose not to remember Katz texting stauffer on the air about Mact going no where. How involved he is today is up for debate but that isn't. So it's not exactly far fetched, or what you call a "conspiracy".

Yep, I'm mistaken. You're right. Katz it's clearly a puppet master that wants us to play poor defensively and continuously lose games so that he can move the team to Seattle. The whole "new arena" thing is just a diversion to throw people off.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I keep Lowe, make NO trades to the roster, fire Semenko, Bucky (just cause it bugs me that he is still here), fire Howson, MacT, Chabot and Eakins. Use the Oil Kings goalie coach if we have to for a bit. Hire a coach/gm (That's the only way I see us getting a strong NHL coach is with that carrot dangled). Don't promote guys to imaginary positions, they are big boys with lots of savings let them move on. I don't know who we get to coach/gm but there has to be someone respected in the hockey world available.

...WAT. Of ALL the people in the organization to keep...you...you keep LOWE?!

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I do think Oiler fans are among the best in the league for supporting such a failing franchise such as this one. However I think its gotten to the point where its kind of ridiculous to keep supporting them. Building still sells out and they feed us this 84 reunion crap and we keep gobbling it up (tickets sold out instantly).

Change wont' come till we see empty seats and merchandise sales decline but they only go up. Its sad that we keep coming back over and over to this crap. Its almost like a bad addiction we know its bad but we cna't help ourselves.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I guess at this point I don't understand the fans who think the roster is great and the coach and the GM are to blame. This core hasn't achieved anything through a variety of coaches.

Often they aren't ready for games, they don't play 60 minutes, they're soft, not always defensively aware, and they don't go hard to the net.

The Oilers have been a perimeter team since 2007 and that hasn't changed through a wide number of added non-core players to the roster and different coaches.

Edit: Like fans are just waiting for that magic combination of GM and coach that will make this current roster a Stanley Cup contender. Babcock would have difficulties with this roster. Not as many as Eakins, but part of me feels like blowing up the team, and it's hard to contemplate because of these sunk costs, where we've gone with Moses to find the promised land, and the only way we'll do that is to make a major change and get rid of the core players we've invested so much time, money, and tears on HFB.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What's the over/under on the Katz apology letter. We should start a pool. I will guess December 17th.

I don't think there's going to be any apology letter this year. The last one didn't go over very well. Interesting that we haven't heard a peep out of Mactavish for a while. I suspect that this is the new strategy. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
At this point, I just want there to be a mass house cleaning binge where everyone in upper management gets fired including Eakins.

If that happens, I will call this season a success no matter how much we suck

Yeah, I would be happy if we just canned Eakins already, and ecstatic if we actually cleaned house for upper management. Neither will hapen, so I'll continue to watch the games if I have nothing else to do to see some of our younger players can improve, and watch other teams that don't suck like the Pens.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

If you keep Lowe I doubt your going to get anyone lining up to take that coach/gm job.

I'm betting league wide that Lowe is seen as a large part of the problem with that organizations failures.

If the Oilers are going to gut and restart then they have to gut and restart.

Coaches, GM, Assist GM, Scouts the whole hockey department would have to go.

Something like that doesn't happen during a season, in fact something like that rarely happens, but I don't think that the League has seen this kind of systematic failure, where absolutely nothing in the organization works.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You have to pay to get the players you want nowadays, plain and simple. We 're not the only team overpaying players. That's just how it is now with free agency...

We're making a good habit of paying for other clubs players too what with out doofus overpay contracts and buyouts.

Funnier still that two of the better players in the game yesterday were Dubynk, who now looks much better coached, and Reider who we let go. Gagner wasn't so good but will be.

Teams like Phoenix exist so they can low budget pick pockets of orgs like ours that don't have a clue. More important though to have buddy Chabot in employ giving netminding advice than having sound goaltending.

WE can confound any player with our coaching.

Gotta say too what a waste of a near perfect game from Gordon. We own the faceoff dot at both ends and don't score a goal until very late..:shakehead

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Whats the deal with the handling of Marincin this year? The kid had such a great promising season last year. All the confidence he built last year has gone down the drain now with how this season has been going for him. Granted, he hasn't been as good this year, but he hasn't been awful either.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I used to try to post here a lot, but I'm more of a binge poster. That;s what the Oilers have done to me lol. I remember when I would make my schedule around games. Not anymore for the past 2 years. If Oiler games somehow blacked out on the computer and TV I wouldn't care. Just check scores on an app. They have become so irrelevant. I still like discussing them here and there. The more they suck the less i look at or listen to any media. Just all around NHL stuff. Can't listen to Oilers Now, etc. Been months.

I was in Cancun for a week and a half last week starting with the Boston game. We were all drinking everyday, etc, but I not once did I check an Oiler score all week. I kept my WiFi off. I checked when I landed back in Edmonton. I would have never done that in the past lol.

A big shakeup is the only thing that will bring a little interest back for me.
apathy is a scary thing....

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess at this point I don't understand the fans who think the roster is great and the coach and the GM are to blame. This core hasn't achieved anything through a variety of coaches.

Often they aren't ready for games, they don't play 60 minutes, they're soft, not always defensively aware, and they don't go hard to the net.

The Oilers have been a perimeter team since 2007 and that hasn't changed through a wide number of added non-core players to the roster and different coaches.

Edit: Like fans are just waiting for that magic combination of GM and coach that will make this current roster a Stanley Cup contender. Babcock would have difficulties with this roster. Not as many as Eakins, but part of me feels like blowing up the team, and it's hard to contemplate because of these sunk costs, where we've gone with Moses to find the promised land, and the only way we'll do that is to make a major change and get rid of the core players we've invested so much time, money, and tears on HFB.

There isn't a single player still on the team that with the exception of Jeff Petry was even in our minor system in 2007! The entire roster has been changed over multiple times. The longest serving Oilers on this team are Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle and they didn't arrive until 2010.

You want to know the ONLY thing now that was the same in 2007?

Kevin Lowe
Craig MacTavish
Scott Howson

You yourself just stated that this team has had the same problems for 7 years now. These three are the only consistent there is. The core isn't good enough. But the three stooges are the ones responsible for where this organization is. You can't make the needed changes to the roster or the core until you have smart people in place. Until then it's just sub out one piece for another with the same (or worse!) outcome.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Yep, I'm mistaken. You're right. Katz it's clearly a puppet master that wants us to play poor defensively and continuously lose games so that he can move the team to Seattle. The whole "new arena" thing is just a diversion to throw people off.

While I don't believe Katz/Lowe/MacT/Howson are some sort of puppet master quartet, how you can absolve them of any blame is a little surprising to me.

Every other team has been able to fix their holes, either via the draft or trade or free agency, yet we're STILL toiling in the bottom.

And while I'm not a supporter of Eakins (the guy is a moron), MacT hasn't done him any favors. He gave Eakins a roster that had a grand total of 1 top-6 NHL center, and 1 bottom-six NHL center. We play in a tough division, and he was fine going into the NHL season with that depth at C.

Then comes in the D. Nikitin hasn't played a top-4 role for an NHL club in over two seasons IIRC. Yet we went out, traded for him, and signed him to a two year deal. Now between him and Ference, we're guaranteed to have atleast one D-man in our top-4 who can't play defense at all time.

I mean, Eakins isn't doing himself any favors with his decisions, but this management group in two continuous offseasons has not been able to fix the D. They keep signing bottom pairing guys and pushing them to a top-4 role only to see them fail. Then when we continue to give up goals, we trade/sign goaltenders because obviously the fact that every goaltender we get does worse here means absolutely nothing, and it's their own fault.

Then add the very possible move of trading one of our few(VERY few) development successes in Petry, a bonafide top-4 D-man despite the cluster**** of a club, so we can keep Justin Schultz, and how you can't blame this GM is surprising to me.

This entire club needs a clean. Top to bottom. Presidents, GMs, Asst. GMs, coaches, scouts, everything. This level of futility in a salary cap era is truly astounding.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
My point is that the "core" players never really improved, although you can make a case for Hall and obviously RNH this year.

Gagner, Nilsson and Cogliano (and Schremp!) were considered the future at one point. Perimeter, soft players. All gone. Never improved.

Ditto this core.

I agree that the Old Boys Club is the biggest problem in the organization, but I don't see the effort from our core players game in, game out, that you would hope to see.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My point is that the "core" players never really improved, although you can make a case for Hall and obviously RNH this year.

Gagner, Nilsson and Cogliano (and Schremp!) were considered the future at one point. Perimeter, soft players. All gone. Never improved.

Ditto this core.

I agree that the Old Boys Club is the biggest problem in the organization, but I don't see the effort from our core players game in, game out, that you would hope to see.

Having a crap d-corps + crap goaltending + crap coaching for multiple years will kinda suck the life out of young players. It's actually a wonder that Hall even still gives a crap.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sounds a little bit like the Eakins hire as well

3129817.jpg

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Whats the deal with the handling of Marincin this year? The kid had such a great promising season last year. All the confidence he built last year has gone down the drain now with how this season has been going for him. Granted, he hasn't been as good this year, but he hasn't been awful either.

He hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself, or push through the tough start either. It's funny how some guys get unlimited chances, and other guys just get buried in the PB or on the bench.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Alright so you hit on quite a few points.

1. Say what you will about Lowe ( who I'm not even a fan of) but the guy built a team that made it to the SCF. If Pronger didn't leave, I could have seen the team making the playoffs the following year. You make it sound like Lowe wanted to trade Pronger for picks. I also find it funny that fans are always upset when guys are traded for picks and instead want proven NHL players back. Ironically the draft pick in Eberle was the best part coming back in that trade.

2. You have this notion that Lowe is the CEO when the GM title clearly belongs to MacT. Lowe is nothing more than an extra set of eyes and a guy people can bounce ideas off of. I don't see him currently being in a position of power and is more like an advisor in business. Fire Lowe all you want but it's just another scapegoat. MacT, his management and coaching staff, his scouts and his players are all responsible for a TEAM loss. Fire Lowe all you want but the same problems are going to exist.

3. This whole idea of blaming the guy who hired the current guy seems pretty lacklustre as well. This seems to give the current guy a free pass. Sure they made a mistake but you don't know how successful a guy is going to be until he is actually given the keys to the car. I mean, it sounds like Eakins says all the right things but isn't capable of delivering.

4. NHL teams always seem to fire capable GMs for their coaches mistakes. You can't judge a GM harshly for short term success/failure. Lots of GMs look like geniuses 5 years later but are no longer with the team. MacT has added a lot of decent pieces. Rome wasn't built in a day and other teams aren't giving away top pairing dmen.

Are you kidding me with this?

Who hires who? Who is responsible for the people put in place in the GM position?

Who's in charge of hiring scouts, and coaches, and other management types?

This all falls on the guys up top, they're the ones who assembled the team like this.

Taylor Hall isn't the one signing #6/7 dmen and 4th line forwards every year hoping that will somehow change the Oilers fortunes.

Or maybe he's just... you know... incompetent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad