Coyle vs Granlund

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Really hard to compare Coyle and Granlund. They both play very different games. Granlund is playmaking, pass first center with great vision and hands. Also defensively responsible and he's growing in the f/o circle and the physical department.

Coyle is just man child. Incredibly strong, good skater, surprisingly soft hands, does a lot of dirty work in the the corners/behind the net.

Granlund seems to compare to Saku Koivu/pre-concussed PMB. Coyle is like a lesser version of Rick Nash. Both will be great players and won't be leaving Minnesota any time soon.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Really hard to compare Coyle and Granlund. They both play very different games. Granlund is playmaking, pass first center with great vision and hands. Also defensively responsible and he's growing in the f/o circle and the physical department.

Coyle is just man child. Incredibly strong, good skater, surprisingly soft hands, does a lot of dirty work in the the corners/behind the net.

Granlund seems to compare to Saku Koivu/pre-concussed PMB. Coyle is like a lesser version of Rick Nash. Both will be great players and won't be leaving Minnesota any time soon.

I don't think Coyle will ever be the shooter that Nash is. I also think that Coyle is better along the boards than Nash ever was -- that was never really his strength from what I've seen of him.

I'd say more along the lines of Getzlaf without the mean streak or Backes with a bit less physical play.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment.

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013

I truly hope that Granlund is gonna be better than pre-concussed PMB. Granlund is way more two-way player than PMB ever was..

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Grimlock's zone entry reminded me of Bighead last night. But he lacked that certain... guarantee of disappointment. And largeness of cranium.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Sorry, pre-concussed PMB wishes he was like Granlund. PMB was always nothing but a perimeter player that was afraid of the high percentage areas. Granlund always drives the percentage areas hard and digs the corners like PMB never could.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
I truly hope that Granlund is gonna be better than pre-concussed PMB. Granlund is way more two-way player than PMB ever was..

Comparing to players usually means playing style not the top end talent, and almost never is 1-on-1 accurate like the MG-PMB difference in defensive game, or shying away from the middle.

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
Actually i don't think Coyle do have much confidence on his game righ now. It just shows on Granlunds game more, because he need it on those cross ice pass feed's etc. Coyle can play his game more with out real confidence..

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Actually i don't think Coyle do have much confidence on his game righ now. It just shows on Granlunds game more, because he need it on those cross ice pass feed's etc. Coyle can play his game more with out real confidence..

If MG was playing confident, those passes would actually have connected a lot more. He sometimes forces passes that just aren't there, then there are the failed breakaways and lack of Yeo's confidence in his shootout ability. Luckily hes been very solid anyways, but I hope he doesn't develop into a streaky player points wise.

Coyle comes from a tough injury and suffers another minor and looks like he hasn't missed a game and is really the piece the 1st line was missing.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
They both are greatly improved from last season. If I had to though, I'd vote Coyle - he's bigger, stronger, and faster. There is little Coyle can't do. They both have elite work ethic. Granlund has greater vision, but I fear for his health. He gets drilled/knocked around a LOT. Watched it happen with Butch, don't wanna see it again.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
They both are greatly improved from last season. If I had to though, I'd vote Coyle - he's bigger, stronger, and faster. There is little Coyle can't do. They both have elite work ethic. Granlund has greater vision, but I fear for his health. He gets drilled/knocked around a LOT. Watched it happen with Butch, don't wanna see it again.

Nah - I don't think Coyle's faster anymore (though he is very fast and smooth for his size). Granlund's skating is much much better this year, as is his ability to protect himself from big hits (Kadri's head shot notwithstanding). They're both very very promising players for us... and we haven't even discussed Nino! And none of them are better than Brodin!

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Gotta go with Coyle in the long-run, although I think the highest either might reach is a consistent 50ish-point 2nd liner with their skillsets. Guys like Parise, Koivu, and Pominville are in a higher league in physical ability. I just don't think Granlund is going to hold up over time. Trying to play a skill game while being small and slow doesn't work. You need to have one or the other, and he has neither. About every game he's taking a big hit. So I think Coyle is a safer bet.

WildFinn*

Gotta go with Coyle in the long-run, although I think the highest either might reach is a consistent 50ish-point 2nd liner with their skillsets. Guys like Parise, Koivu, and Pominville are in a higher league in physical ability. I just don't think Granlund is going to hold up over time. Trying to play a skill game while being small and slow doesn't work. You need to have one or the other, and he has neither. About every game he's taking a big hit. So I think Coyle is a safer bet.

woah.gif

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
No hesitation in picking COYLE. He does more "not on the stat sheet" things to help this team, and is only getting better. Kid is a stud.

Shocker! What was the reason that why you don't like Granlund?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Granlund. Both will be important players, but Granlund is going to be a PPG 1st line in the near future.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Coyle, Granlund, and Niederreiter give the Wild some beautiful flexibility: 2 power forwards, 2 centers, a variety of high-end skills, character, and competitive spirit.

Combined with the mature vets signed until the apocalypse, I like the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad