Post-Game Talk: Cowabunga! 10 game winning Streak!

Player of the game

• Rempe

Votes: 79 66.9%
  • Shesty

Votes: 39 33.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
When the bottom 6 can get it done, it gives the Top 6 some time to figure it out. This 10 game winning streak has not been their best hockey, but I rather they get wins than playing great and losing.

They have a nice cushion to figure things out before the playoffs roll around.

Good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose.
This is true. There is so much parity in the league. Just being able to make enough adjustments, win different kinds of games... There's really no perfect way forward. This was a weird one. Philly was playing great defense, tons of energy, to start. Then they wore down and the rangers couldn't capitalize. Philly got their second wind and the rangers held on. It's a win in three acts.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I'm 99.9% sure that the most common outcome for a MMA fight (at the pro level, not underground smokers) is a decision. Even if the incentive is there, when people are pretty evenly matched, the fights tend to go that way as well. Makes for boring viewing more often than people would like (and honestly, its probably going to get worse.) That rings true for fights in the NHL as well unless 2 people just say "f*** it" and want to stand and trade. That happened today.

Rempe took on a top 5 (top 3?) fighter in the game. Not every fight that he has is going to look like this. Most of them will look like what happened with Sigenthaler. Anyone worried about him holding up long term because of this fight need to take that into consideration as well (and I don't even think he got hit hard at all in this fight.)

Eventually people are going to take notice and most players aren't even going to bother. Thats totally fine though as I'd rather see what he can do on the ice at this level outside of punching people in the face, we all know he can do that.
Maybe, I’ve seen 10 fight cards where it was just about ALL finishes, and some where it was mostly decisions. It’s probably close to 50/50, but a decision doesn’t mean there was no damage. I’ve seen decisions where both guys had to go to the hospital after. Sometimes absolute wars go to decision.

And I’m with you, I don’t want this kid to fight every night. Forecheck, backcheck, go to the net front. Stickup for your teammates. He’s made a splash in his first few games, I don’t think he’s going to get challenged for the sake of it too much going forward.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Obviously I’ll take the win and aspects of it were very fun. Rempe is an absolute unit.

So I am not as negative as this next comment is gonna sound but it has to be said:

Zibanejad was so unbelievably bad today. Just sleepwalking. Forgot to set his alarm this morning.
It's hard to defend Mika but let's remember he's still a dominant defensive center. He's extremely indecisive, passive, with the puck on his stick. Why? No idea. But he is still all over the ice and a real factor defensively.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Anybody who goes damage first shouldn't be judging MMA or boxing.
Why conflate the two? And why not go damage first. Seriously, MMA is not the “sweet science” it’s meant to be more of a real fight. What’s the objective of a fight? To stop your opponent. To damage him enough to stop him.
Seriously, what’s your logic here? Why wouldn’t damage be a big criteria? Not being a dick, I’ve just never seen this perspective. I’ve been in and around fighting for most of my life. Started cross training martial arts in my teens, I didn’t stop training BJJ until I was in my 50’s (you stop healing up too quickly, haha) and I’ve never had anyone tell me that damage wasn’t important in any full contact match. Seriously, never.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Love the wins. Love the fans who like pretty stats gritting their teeth. Best record in the league but they want style points like it’s the ski jump or something.
I'd say that in some games the style is more important. But today's game was a slog. Philly was playing extreme hair-on-fire defense most of the game. There were breakdowns and broken plays left and right. But even when Philly got a bounce or a break, there's was very little worry. Rangers were trying to open it up a bit but they just couldn't. It was just an ugly- but fun- game. 100% just be glad with the win and move on.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why conflate the two? And why not go damage first. Seriously, MMA is not the “sweet science” it’s meant to be more of a real fight. What’s the objective of a fight? To stop your opponent. To damage him enough to stop him.
Seriously, what’s your logic here? Why wouldn’t damage be a big criteria? Not being a dick, I’ve just never seen this perspective. I’ve been in and around fighting for most of my life. Started cross training martial arts in my teens, I didn’t stop training BJJ until I was in my 50’s (you stop healing up too quickly, haha) and I’ve never had anyone tell me that damage wasn’t important in any full contact match. Seriously, never.
Read my comment above. I don't think you're understanding what I mean by damage.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, in all honesty it’s late and the edible is kicking in. Haha. I’ll let it go.
Ok, since you're high (understandable) I'll clarify.

You're talking about effective striking and fully beating up the opponent. That matters, obviously, more than anything.

When I said "damage" I meant visual damage like cuts and bruises.

It's a poor way to judge a fight because guys just have different skin.

There are countless times in combat sports where the winner has a black eye.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm happy, i hope we dont change too much, a little help for the zib line. As well something that wont happen but should, Goodrow gone with Brodzinski as his replacement, and a 3c aquired. Depth d, end of deadline.
I agree with the 'do no evil' trade deadline approach. Not sure about Goodrow though. He seems fine as 4C. Overpaid, sure. But I don't think we need or even can address that this season. And we don't know about the locker room bit. Don't want to remove important parts of a good team. Again, just my being cautious here.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
His face barely took any punches, Deslaurier was swinging a lot but not landing half of them. Meanwhile Deslauriers face looked like a half chewed stick of hockey card gum.
If we are going to be brutally honest here, the fact that Rempe is so tall has done him a lot of favours against Martin and Deslauriers. Because his technique is still lacking. If he goes against a Kurtis MacDermid at 6ft5, it has the potential of going ugly if Rempe can't protect himself better. Because those punches will connect, and it's going to hurt.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Most of the negativity I have seen revolves around Trouba who deserves it and Zib who also deserves it - just not as much as Trouba.

It's true, and both angles are equally valid at the same time. Rempe and Ed have added huge excitement to this team, but to win a Cup, Mika has to get his shit together and we potentially have a massive issue on D (D pairings.)

Not much ever really changes, lol.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
The people who make sweeping generalizations how everyone is so negative all the time, are only exposing themselves as the sunshine pumpers who never want to hear a single criticism of their favorites.

Sunshine pumpers may be one of the best things I have ever read on 't'internet 😂

Reactions: mas0764

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
100%. Said the same about Reavo.
Did i say it already that when the Rangers acquired Reeves after the Wilson incident - this is what I was expecting him to do at least early on. Never happened and it actually got bad toward the end of his stay with the Rangers so I was really happy when his lazy full of himself ass got shipped.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Of course Rempe has the most hockey nickname ever, too.

"Remps"

Lmfao f***ing ice hockey players
Hockey players are the most boring and obvious people. I hate it.

Then again, Dom Moore was 'The Professor' and Rick Nash was 'The Slim Reaper' so maybe they have different nicknames in-room than in front of media. Also easier to say in an interview.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's not about style at all. Nobody can read on this f***ing board.

He's taking massive shots to the head and he needs to get better at defense.
Come on, you're in a huff because we all don't base out enjoyment on spread sheets. We can read just fine, we can watch the games. Most enjoy winning on the ice to winning on the win-o-meter chart. As for Rempe , he's taking on the big boys and more than holding his own. As with any player at any position, including fighter, he has things to learn. All these big guys came into the league needing to learn. It's part of ANY job. He's establishing himself as someone not to mess with. The big scheduled fights will slow down, but the non goons will remember what happened to Sigenthaler (sp?) You don't engage him or he may just lay you out. That's a deterrent, not the Reaves bs.

All teams have issues. Ours are small enough that we're at the top of the league. Try to enjoy the games.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Did i say it already that when the Rangers acquired Reeves after the Wilson incident - this is what I was expecting him to do at least early on. Never happened and it actually got bad toward the end of his stay with the Rangers so I was really happy when his lazy full of himself ass got shipped.
I meant, I said it when they got Reaves. And at least at the beginning the rest of the team played bigger, I think. Anyhow, I agree with regard to Rempe (Rempire State Building). His linemates walk a little taller. Saw Goodrow get a little extra shove-y today when Rempe was out there.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Turning point of the game was Panarin taking the penalty on the PP. They were worse than the end of the NJ game forcing passes to Laf. That 4 on 4 immediately paid off with the Laf goal. Someone needs to shake Zib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad