Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Watching the Mayor's presser now. Chicago's re-opening is probably pushed back for weeks because of this weekend.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

Not surprising.
New cases and deaths have been declining for a few weeks. Governors and mayors have been handling the shutdown/opening rules for their respective areas (as it should be.)
Unless something new pops up, I don't see why the frequency of meetings at the White House would continue to be so high. If everything is already in place all you need are status update meetings regularly to keep everyone current.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Not surprising.
New cases and deaths have been declining for a few weeks. Governors and mayors have been handling the shutdown/opening rules for their respective areas (as it should be.)
Unless something new pops up, I don't see why the frequency of meetings at the White House would continue to be so high. If everything is already in place all you need are status update meetings regularly to keep everyone current.

The extent of declines is overstated due to the dramatic declines in the New York region. Many places they plateaued at best, or actually rose in conjunction with the loosening of restrictions. Meanwhile, even if things went well, there would still need to be a tremendous amount of coordination regarding phases 2 and 3, as well as planning for the very possible scenario of a seconds wave, which will be that much more probably following the events of the past week. To the extent that Trump has been derelict in his duty to lead during the covid crisis, I can see not needing to keep him in the loop, but to whatever extent the federal government involves itself the executive branch in the midst of a pandemic should have more than sporadic consultations with its chief epidemiologist.

Ace Card Bedard

Feb 11, 2012
The extent of declines is overstated due to the dramatic declines in the New York region. Many places they plateaued at best, or actually rose in conjunction with the loosening of restrictions. Meanwhile, even if things went well, there would still need to be a tremendous amount of coordination regarding phases 2 and 3, as well as planning for the very possible scenario of a seconds wave, which will be that much more probably following the events of the past week. To the extent that Trump has been derelict in his duty to lead during the covid crisis, I can see not needing to keep him in the loop, but to whatever extent the federal government involves itself the executive branch in the midst of a pandemic should have more than sporadic consultations with its chief epidemiologist.

Were the previous gains in new cases/deaths overstated due to New York then as well? Can't have it both ways. NY contributed to the rise in cases and now it's contributing to the drop in cases. The numbers are what they are.

Pence has been leading the task force anyway, the fact that they were meeting every day and that Trump would meet with them up 4x per week a month ago doesn't mean that should continue indefinitely.
Circumstances have changed, national stockpiles have been replenished, testing has been increasing, etc. You don't have to meet every day to keep up with this stuff once it's already been in motion for weeks.

There's plenty of things to criticize about any politician but I don't think this is one of them.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Were the previous gains in new cases/deaths overstated due to New York then as well? Can't have it both ways. NY contributed to the rise in cases and now it's contributing to the drop in cases. The numbers are what they are.

Pence has been leading the task force anyway, the fact that they were meeting every day and that Trump would meet with them up 4x per week a month ago doesn't mean that should continue indefinitely.
Circumstances have changed, national stockpiles have been replenished, testing has been increasing, etc. You don't have to meet every day to keep up with this stuff once it's already been in motion for weeks.

There's plenty of things to criticize about any politician but I don't think this is one of them.

You seem to be arguing that if the total number of cases in the US is declining, but are actually increasing in every area other than New York (theoretically), then the blanket statement that cases are declining in the US should be accepted without nuance? It seems to be what you're arguing, but it's so nonsensical that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ace Card Bedard

Feb 11, 2012
You seem to be arguing that if the total number of cases in the US is declining, but are actually increasing in every area other than New York (theoretically), then the blanket statement that cases are declining in the US should be accepted without nuance? It seems to be what you're arguing, but it's so nonsensical that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

lol wut?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
You're really stretching it now.

16 states where cases are increasing.
34 states where it's steady or declining.
Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

And you want me to argue as if only NY were declining?
You're in another world.

I didn't say only NY is declining. You asked a specific question about NY, so I responded with a theoretical to better understand what you were trying to say. But the declines in NY have indeed given a misleading impression of the country as a whole, which in many places is at best a plateau. It is increasing or plateaued in 33 out of 50, decreasing in only 17. Nuance is your friend.

If you think good policy is putting the pandemic on cruise control and checking in occasionally, especially after the events of the past week, then it's an opinion to which you're entitled. What can I say, it takes all kinds.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I didn't say only NY is declining. You asked a specific question about NY, so I responded with a theoretical to better understand what you were trying to say. But the declines in NY have indeed given a misleading impression of the country as a whole, which in many places is at best a plateau. Nuance is your friend.

If you think good policy is putting the pandemic on cruise control and checking in occasionally, especially after the events of the past week, then it's an opinion to which you're entitled. What can I say, it takes all kinds.

Who on earth ever said anything about “only checking in occasionally” ???

It’s still going to be monitored very carefully and according to the data certain areas will continue to make their way through the phases.

Reactions: Blackhawks

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Who on earth ever said anything about “only checking in occasionally” ???

It’s still going to be monitored very carefully and according to the data certain areas will continue to make their way through the phases.

If you want to be pedantic, fine. He was good with "dramatically decreased". I don't find that to be a meaningful distinction with how I characterized the statement.

And whether your second sentence is true is irrelevant to what was being discussed.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
16 states where cases are increasing.
34 states where it's steady or declining.
Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

It is increasing or plateaued in 33 out of 50, decreasing in only 17.

The NYT map linked by @Penosity includes Guam, Puerto Rico, and DC, so it's 53 territories, of which:

16 are increasing
20 are mostly the same
17 are decreasing

So both statements are true:
37 territories where it's steady or declining
36 territories where it's increasing or plateaued

Is your glass half-empty or half-full?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Well in Illinois the numbers have dropped quite a bit lately. Today was the first day in 53 days that we had less than 1000 new positive tests. Also the deaths were the lowest in almost 2 months I believe as well.

Did the riots and looting affect the numbers? Maybe, time will tell. But the trend has been heading downwards even before this stuff started.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
The NYT map linked by @Penosity includes Guam, Puerto Rico, and DC, so it's 53 territories, of which:

16 are increasing
20 are mostly the same
17 are decreasing

So both statements are true:
37 territories where it's steady or declining
36 territories where it's increasing or plateaued

Is your glass half-empty or half-full?

Still missing the point. While a majority of states have positives on the uptrend or new cases not declining, combined with the events of the past week, is that the time for the executive branch to marginalize the chief epidemiologist? My opinion is no, I’m not interested in litigating the point further.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
Still missing the point. While a majority of states have positives on the uptrend or new cases not declining, combined with the events of the past week, is that the time for the executive branch to marginalize the chief epidemiologist? My opinion is no, I’m not interested in litigating the point further.

Correct. It's your opinion. Reasonable people can disagree.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
And Dallas has essentially lifted all restrictions.

i am very much on the side of taking this very seriously so dont take this the wrong way. do we know if they were testing the last two days or did they shutdown testing like chicagoland area did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad