News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I can see that, I believe that also contributed to quicker spread in Italy the kiss on each cheek greeting. Transit/subway has to have been a major factor in NYC spread also, I think vast majority of people there do not drive? As you can tell, I haven't traveled much outside of Canada lol
There are a lot of cars in downtown Montreal , but usually bumper to bumper. You will see masses of people walking, and cyclists on the special bike Lanes on every road. Most commuters take the metro, bike or walk around the central island area. The west side of the island is primarily vehicle bound with only one special train that goes there. West Islanders typically avoid going anywhere near downtown because of the traffic.
The Italians kiss 3 times , the French only twice, so the casualty rate should be less here then I guess

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Interesting and positive if true...

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, a board-certified family practitioner in New York, after he successfully treated 350 coronavirus patients with 100 percent success using a cocktail of drugs: hydroxychloroquine, in combination with azithromycin (Z-Pak), an antibiotic to treat secondary infections, and zinc sulfate. Dr. Zelenko said he saw the symptom of shortness of breath resolved within four to six hours after treatment.
Now, Dr. Zelenko provides updates on the treatment after he successfully treated 699 COVID-19 patients in New York. In an exclusive interview with former New York Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, Dr. Vladmir Zelenko shares the results of his latest study, which showed that out of his 699 patients treated, zero patients died, zero patients intubated, and four hospitalizations.

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko has now treated 699 coronavirus patients with 100% success using Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Zinc and Z-Pak [UPDATES] | Tech News | Startups News

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know why people are hoarding toilet paper ? but I ran into an old high school buddy that told me the same thing. I haven't noticed, but I know if you go to small convenience stores, they will have it usually. I can't see this being a big problem, as they will ramp up production. My friend was "not" to happy that he couldn't buy this.

Also his mother was forcefully admitted into an old folks home, directly from the hospital, because they said she would need 24 hour care. He said " he cannot" visit her, and hasn't seen her in 30 days, as the Senior Home is not allowing visitors.(nobody) He's really not happy at all -- however I guess authorities are protecting those most vulnerable.

I do wonder why people are hoarding toilet paper though ? -- obviously virus related. I did notice the other day at Walmart --certain sections of the shelves were empty --totally empty. Gave me the feeling that people are expecting doom and gloom ahead. I don't think so.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Sticking to the toilet paper theme, this is the best one I’ve seen.

B1751FB4-BBF5-43A6-BE9D-4CE36164B56D.jpeg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It looks like the stock market is reacting strongly to the negative feelings on the Corona Virus - "big time." Just checked and the S&P Futures is down a lot of points, and if this continues --it will be a "huge loss" day. Small business is worried they can't make their payments with no customers, and I think big institutions that hold most of this stock are selling it off.

If this downward trend continues, we may be in for quite a heavy recession --like in 2008. I guess we'll see how far this goes ?? I've been watching the numbers like a "hawk,"

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It looks like the stock market is reacting strongly to the negative feelings on the Corona Virus - "big time." Just checked and the S&P Futures is down a lot of points, and if this continues --it will be a "huge loss" day. Small business is worried they can't make their payments with no customers, and I think big institutions that hold most of this stock are selling it off.

If this downward trend continues, we may be in for quite a heavy recession --like in 2008. I guess we'll see how far this goes ?? I've been watching the numbers like a "hawk,"

Your definition of "positivity" is different from mine.

But, wrt the stock market, have you been in a cave for the past few weeks? It's been falling for ages...

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Sounds like a buying opportunity even though it’s tough to predict the bottom anywhere in the trough should do.

Picking the bottom is a tough task. Since this is the positivity thread, there will be a lot of opportunities if you're a long-term investor.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hey all, I'm not an admin but it would be preferable not having discussions of stocks and money making opportunities due to a global crisis in this thread, or how the economy is spinning out of control etc etc. It goes against the spirit of what I am trying to do here, thanks.

Please feel free to start a stock and investment thread to discuss this kind of stuff, though.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Positive for myself and family: my niece, who had to come back to Canada right when all of the travel restrictions and airline groundings hit, went through 4 airports in a 24 hr span (including LA and Vancouver), then went into immediate self quarantine tested negative for COVID19

:banana::dd: :dumbo:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey all, I'm not an admin but it would be preferable not having discussions of stocks and money making opportunities due to a global crisis in this thread, or how the economy is spinning out of control etc etc. It goes against the spirit of what I am trying to do here, thanks.

Please feel free to start a stock and investment thread to discuss this kind of stuff, though.

Good call! I deleted a few of my tangent posts.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good call! I deleted a few of my tangent posts.

No worries, I have sought advice here on what to do with my pension plan during the market roller coaster so I'm not innocent of anything myself. But I think have to draw the line on rubbing hands together at the money making opportunities presenting themselves during a global health crisis. That isn't positivity, in my opinion.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Unfortunately, this has been mis-translated. He's actually saying they are going to keep all that toilet paper in the warehouse and laughing that they will not release it until their distributors agree to pay them 10X the price. ;)

Reactions: Jets 31

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Interesting bit of positive news (for those of us in Manitoba). We have the lowest rate of positives per thousand tests out of all the provinces in Canada!

• Canadian average: 35 positives per 1000 tested.
  • Alberta: 15/1000
  • BC: 23/1000
  • Manitoba: 11.2/1000
  • New Brunswick: 21/1000
  • Newfoundland: 63/1000
  • Nova Scotia: 25/1000
  • Ontario: 35/1000
  • PEI: 30/1000
  • Quebec: 61/1000
  • Saskatchewan: 19/1000
COVID-19 testing - Wikipedia

We're lagging behind the Territories but still good to know nonetheless.

m.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Your definition of "positivity" is different from mine.

But, wrt the stock market, have you been in a cave for the past few weeks? It's been falling for ages...

Generally the market has been declining for the last 3-4 weeks, but very erratic, and some big bounce ups last week. For instance the Dow fell to 18,300 last week, or week before, and went back up to 23,000. Now it's around 21,000, so it's very up and down. I'm waiting for a bottom, but this kind of thing may go on for a long time --til the dust settles with CO VID -19.

Very up and down right now.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
MB Researchers finding ways to reuse masks with sterilization techniques

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-researchers-answer-shortage-n95-masks-1.5518226

A group of Manitoba researchers say they've found a way to safely decontaminate and reuse some types of medical masks that are normally thrown away after each use.
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused global shortages of personal protective equipment for health-care workers around the world, including N95 respirators and masks.
A team of five Manitoba researchers released a study Wednesday which tested decontamination of four types of masks, finding some success.
Led by Dr. Anand Kumar, a professor of medicine at the University of Manitoba, he said preliminary results suggest some masks could be successfully decontaminated and reused up to 10 times, using common sterilization techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad