News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lots of encouraging things happening in BC in regards to their doubling numbers/rate of infection and their recovery numbers . I think it's important we watch what is happening there because they were basically the first place in Canada with cases and most provinces followed what they did and Canada is overall in synch with control measures, as opposed to comparing things with NYC or Italy which will just give you panic attacks and night sweats. I feel BC is more indicative of what will happen here. Quebec, I'm not sure what happened there with their numbers being so high. More testing?

Edit: Spring Break in Quebec is earlier than the rest of the country Mar 2-9, apparently that has contributed significantly to higher numbers there. Was reading one article that it was at the worst possible time as that was when the virus was really starting to embed and spread.

I was wondering what happened in Quebec. That probably explains it.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've heard from people here, that are Korean, and go there quite often, and have relatives over in Korea, that new infections are way down, and they feel they have the Virus under control. Good news, and hope their right.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
C84AEA8C-23DB-45E9-86D1-DBBC8F7C58ED.png
Yay Ford & GE

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I noticed that my local Safeway and Superstore are both still out of toilet paper. Are they being restocked and then selling out immediately? Has anyone found a store that doesn't have this issue? Not looking for any myself right now, but this does seem a bit strange to me.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
... Quebec, I'm not sure what happened there with their numbers being so high. More testing?

Edit: Spring Break in Quebec is earlier than the rest of the country Mar 2-9, apparently that has contributed significantly to higher numbers there. Was reading one article that it was at the worst possible time as that was when the virus was really starting to embed and spread.
Over here, the culprit is the Metro system, Montreal is not that friendly to vehicles, something like 1 million passengers a day use it to get around.
Another factor is the traditional greeting we give to each other every time we see each other, a kiss on each side of the cheek.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Normally it takes about 18 months to develop a vaccine but I am going to predict that there will be an FDA approved vaccine for COVID-19 on December 19th (8.64 months from now). This comes from a "crowd predicative" model I was part of.

Lets see how I (we) do on this one.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Over here, the culprit is the Metro system, Montreal is not that friendly to vehicles, something like 1 million passengers a day use it to get around.
Another factor is the traditional greeting we give to each other every time we see each other, a kiss on each side of the cheek.

I can see that, I believe that also contributed to quicker spread in Italy the kiss on each cheek greeting. Transit/subway has to have been a major factor in NYC spread also, I think vast majority of people there do not drive? As you can tell, I haven't traveled much outside of Canada lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I can see that, I believe that also contributed to quicker spread in Italy the kiss on each cheek greeting. Transit/subway has to have been a major factor in NYC spread also, I think vast majority of people there do not drive? As you can tell, I haven't traveled much outside of Canada lol
Yes, NYC definitely has a lot of factors that would be ideal for spread of a virus. So many people, so close together, so much transit ridership, so much international visitors and travel...

Reactions: Jets 31

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Love this positivity thread. It's like therapy for some of us. Especially the part about vaccines being available in 6 to 8 months. Keep it coming!

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I noticed that my local Safeway and Superstore are both still out of toilet paper. Are they being restocked and then selling out immediately? Has anyone found a store that doesn't have this issue? Not looking for any myself right now, but this does seem a bit strange to me.

I don't know why people are hoarding toilet paper ? but I ran into an old high school buddy that told me the same thing. I haven't noticed, but I know if you go to small convenience stores, they will have it usually. I can't see this being a big problem, as they will ramp up production. My friend was "not" to happy that he couldn't buy this.

Also his mother was forcefully admitted into an old folks home, directly from the hospital, because they said she would need 24 hour care. He said " he cannot" visit her, and hasn't seen her in 30 days, as the Senior Home is not allowing visitors.(nobody) He's really not happy at all -- however I guess authorities are protecting those most vulnerable.

I do wonder why people are hoarding toilet paper though ? -- obviously virus related. I did notice the other day at Walmart --certain sections of the shelves were empty --totally empty. Gave me the feeling that people are expecting doom and gloom ahead. I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad