OT: Covid-19 (Part 57) Grand Re-Re-Re-Opening Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I told myself I wouldn’t get involved in the political debate this time around. The truth is I don’t agree with where this country is heading and find the divisive tone from our leadership to be repulsive, but at the end of the day we are people with different experiences and different beliefs.

Vaccinated or unvaccinated, I love you all. If you’re ever in the neighbourhood (Saint John, NB) and want to slam back a few wobbly pops, I would throw down with you all. I am vaccinated myself for anyone who feels protected by knowing that.

The tensions are too high, people are divided and no amount of back and forth on here is going to change anyone’s mind.

I wish you all the best and only hope that one day we look back on all this and learn from it. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited:

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
We (my household of 4, me wife and 2 kids, one in daycare and the other ne in school), were pretty lucky and didn't get sick until last Sunday when my daughter tested positive (fever late at night, that's it positive test. She's not old enough to get the vaccine, my son has 2, wife and I 3 shots.

On Tuesday woke up with a runny / full nose (details). Tested positive. To be honest nobody in the house suffered from any symptoms at all beside a full nose and one episode of fever on day 1 or 2 for my daughter.

We need to all take a test Sunday morning in order to leave our house...

Since my positive test, for the data people, I've run 7, 12, 10 and 15.5 k on my treadmill (I run about 60-70k a week during the winter). VO2Max is still pretty decent (50) compared to the fall, still crushing that 54-55 bpm at rest.

I'd say the vaccine is working but I'm no scientist.

EDIT: It crossed my mind that it could've been some false positive .. but 2 in the same house in 2 days...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We (my household of 4, me wife and 2 kids, one in daycare and the other ne in school), were pretty lucky and didn't get sick until last Sunday when my daughter tested positive (fever late at night, that's it positive test. She's not old enough to get the vaccine, my son has 2, wife and I 3 shots.

On Tuesday woke up with a runny / full nose (details). Tested positive. To be honest nobody in the house suffered from any symptoms at all beside a full nose and one episode of fever on day 1 or 2 for my daughter.

We need to all take a test Sunday morning in order to leave our house...

Since my positive test, for the data people, I've run 7, 12, 10 and 15.5 k on my treadmill (I run about 60-70k a week during the winter). VO2Max is still pretty decent (50) compared to the fall, still crushing that 54-55 bpm at rest.

I'd say the vaccine is working but I'm no scientist.

EDIT: It crossed my mind that it could've been some false positive .. but 2 in the same house in 2 days...
Interesting, assuming the positive tests were the results of a rapid test?
My wife and I both had symptoms at roughly the same time. Her about 24 hours before me, out of a combined 6 tests over the course of 6 days we couldn’t get a positive rapid test. PCR was positive.

Did a rapid test after the positive PCR test just out of curiosity of their effectiveness and it was still negative.

My experience is those rapid tests are pretty close to useless.

Reactions: Cypruss

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Interesting, assuming the positive tests were the results of a rapid test?
My wife and I both had symptoms at roughly the same time. Her about 24 hours before me, out of a combined 6 tests over the course of 6 days we couldn’t get a positive rapid test. PCR was positive.

Did a rapid test after the positive PCR test just out of curiosity of their effectiveness and it was still negative.

My experience is those rapid tests are pretty close to useless.

yes my daughter and I tested positive on the rapid test, never tested again since it was 5 days anyway for the daycare and my son had to skip a week of school as well because somebody in the house was positive. Can’t get a real test done in Outaouais anyway, all 4 in the house will rapid test again on Saturday or Sunday to finish that 5 days

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I told myself I wouldn’t get involved in the political debate this time around. The truth is I don’t agree with where this country is heading and find the divisive tone from our leadership to be repulsive, but at the end of the day we are people with different experiences and different beliefs.

Vaccinated or unvaccinated, I love you all. If you’re ever in the neighbourhood (Saint John, NB) and want to slam back a few wobbly pops, I would throw down with you all. I am vaccinated myself for anyone who feels protected by knowing that.

The tensions are too high, people are divided and no amount of back and forth on here is going to change anyone’s mind.

I wish you all the best and only hope that one day we look back on all this and learn from it. Have a good night everyone.
100%. And we will for sure. GHG

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
yes my daughter and I tested positive on the rapid test, never tested again since it was 5 days anyway for the daycare and my son had to skip a week of school as well because somebody in the house was positive. Can’t get a real test done in Outaouais anyway, all 4 in the house will rapid test again on Saturday or Sunday to finish that 5 days
Man, I don’t know how people get a positive result with those tests. It was pretty freaking obvious we both had it. Symptoms were relatively mild, but they were evident and a PCR confirmed that, but neither of us could get a positive result before or after the PCR. I read that with omicron they sometimes work better with a throat swab instead of a nasal, but we never tried that.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Are they good at controlling the "with covid" "because of covid" spectrum?

I don't have a clue.

That comparaison should not be made.
The hospitals are overflowing while we basically stopped most surgeries and care.
Back then they were overflowing while keeping those surgeries and other cares.

Very different situation
One truth overall: Our healthcare system sucks and need major investment

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Definitely. Sweden was the control group for the first wave, unofficial suggestions, no lockdown, though they changed their minds a few months in. We can watch and learn.

With omicron it looks like the lockdown measures don't work as well, and it's propagating anyway. So far measures are just to slow things a bit so the hospitals can cope. Hospital stays are usually shorter, and there are fewer based on the number of cases, especially among vaccinated people.

There are op-ed pages going on about how the US health system is doing better than Canada, but it's not supported by the stats. US hospitals are overloaded as well, they have far more patients and deaths, absolute and per capita, and the hospitals are not able to cope. The US has multiple problems: low vaccination, resistance to masking and distancing, high levels of obesity, and an aging population. They aren't having an easy time, and per capita deaths are triple those in Canada.

There are still more hospitalizations of unvaccinated people even with omicron and it's greater ability to evade the vaccine. Stats show that unvaccinated people make worse health decisions in non-covid areas as well, and I suppose that could be contributing.

Sweden is removing all restrictions on February the 9th.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Stay classy Saint John...wobbly pops? I mean COME on.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Gonna be an interesting month for all the places that are letting it rip.
I'm confused by Denmark's spike in psychiatric hospitalization.
Also we don't even know what BA.2 is and BA.1.1 already taking over in the US. Can this winter end already.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That comparaison should not be made.
The hospitals are overflowing while we basically stopped most surgeries and care.
Back then they were overflowing while keeping those surgeries and other cares.

Very different situation
One truth overall: Our healthcare system sucks and need major investment
That's irrelevant here. I responded to someone who thought hospitals have never been overflowing. They have, quite often.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I gave a lift to and from work to a colleague of mine on Thursday January 28th. We were both wearing masks in the car both directions and in the office as we both had some things to do. He texted me that his daughter tested positive the morning after (Friday). He ended up testing positive (he's not vaxxed) on Sunday after he started getting symptoms. So far I have nothing at all (no symptoms in the slightest). The rapid test was negative. I'm triple vaxxed. I'm assuming I just didn't get it or I'm just asymptomatic..Maybe he didn't have the full viral load at that point...Anyways, who knows...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I gave a lift to and from work to a colleague of mine on Thursday January 28th. We were both wearing masks in the car both directions and in the office as we both had some things to do. He texted me that his daughter tested positive the morning after (Friday). He ended up testing positive (he's not vaxxed) on Sunday after he started getting symptoms. So far I have nothing at all (no symptoms in the slightest). The rapid test was negative. I'm triple vaxxed. I'm assuming I just didn't get it or I'm just asymptomatic..Maybe he didn't have the full viral load at that point...Anyways, who knows...
I went to go pick something up from a friend last friday. We chatted about 30 minutes, both masked. He got COVID the next day. I have been fine. I was double masked.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think all COVID restrictions will be lifted soon, probably mid-March.
That's if Omicron is the last variant. If another variant comes, the same restrictions will go on until there is a real declining of covid. Covid cases are still high. It's just that people are tired and aggressive so different governments are declining measures. The variants have a different agenda. The virus is like a mother and a father, they want their babies to survive and have a great future.

Reactions: Andy

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Chris Nilan says he was fired from TSN 690 for refusing to get vaccinated | Montreal Gazette

Chris was one of my favorites, guess the fighting took it's toll on the old noggin. Just kidding, more so another victim of misinformation.

I'd say concussions would do it. One symptom is making the victim not trust people s/he knows and should trust, and overtrusting random unknown people. Refuse advice from doctors and family, take advice from random scammers on the internet.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's if Omicron is the last variant. If another variant comes, the same restrictions will go on until there is a real declining of covid. Covid cases are still high. It's just that people are tired and aggressive so different governments are declining measures. The variants have a different agenda. The virus is like a mother and a father, they want their babies to survive and have a great future.

Work continues on a general coronavirus vaccine that would cover sars, mers, covid, and others.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
That's soon? I was hoping next week !!! lol

It's going to get better and better don't worry, as far as restrictions are concerned. The next "challenge" will be next fall.

But there is pressure inside our hospitals still, that's why they are going slowly.

I think it's pretty clear we are headed into a "let's weather the storm" mode, for better or worse.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Sure but Omicron is building good immunity, fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad