OT: Covid-19 (Part 57) Grand Re-Re-Re-Opening Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Omicron is arriving in Bali - no more dinners in the hipsters restaurants soon - I’ll have to come back to Toronto :)

It feels like the last few days of the pandemic, are you guys feeling it?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Good vibes only up in here. Everyone is sick of this shit. The end is hopefully near.
It's going to be a while yet as we have billions of people unvaccinated and mutating variants....just my opinion

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Got reservations Friday night and Sunday morning at restos.
Bought tickets to see Spiderman in Imax on Tuesday.

Things are look up again!

Reactions: Licou

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's going to be a while yet as we have billions of people unvaccinated and mutating variants....just my opinion

It's going to be a while until we don't hear about it, but it won't mean its not over.
Imo. It's been over since Omicron arrived, because as soon as lethality subsides - transmission increases, full worldwide vaccination is no longer required to reach some kind of herd immunity. Then if we have further variants, they might escape more but they won't regain their lethality (at least its unlikely).

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's going to be a while until we don't hear about it, but it won't mean its not over.
Imo. It's been over since Omicron arrived, because as soon as lethality subsides - transmission increases, full worldwide vaccination is no longer required to reach some kind of herd immunity. Then if we have further variants, they might escape more but they won't regain their lethality (at least its unlikely).
Definitely isn't over given the cry for help from health care professionals across the country and many parts of the world. When they, not politicians, say things are getting significantly better, then things are getting better. Seems pretty straight forward to me but I know not everyone agrees

Reactions: Forum93

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Definitely isn't over given the cry for help from health care professionals across the country and many parts of the world. When they, not politicians, say things are getting better, then things are getting better. Seems pretty straight forward to me but I know not everyone agrees

Being over doesn't mean that everyone will be consequence-free, it means we can return most of the functions of normal society to its default value instead of having a state of emergency. We'll still have plenty of contextual emergency situations, and we'll be able to deal with them one by one with the normal means of the state.

It's very important to talk about how it ends and it should not be "when everyone is free of consequences" - that will take years. World war 2 didn't end in 1955, it ended in 1945.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Omicron is arriving in Bali - no more dinners in the hipsters restaurants soon - I’ll have to come back to Toronto :)

It feels like the last few days of the pandemic, are you guys feeling it?

I felt that before honestly and was wrong.
Some countries are lifting all measures.....happened before and never worked so far but I hope it does.
Let them show us the way without us gambling our healthcare system.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Being over doesn't mean that everyone will be consequence-free, it means we can return most of the functions of normal society to its default value instead of having a state of emergency. We'll still have plenty of contextual emergency situations, and we'll be able to deal with them one by one with the normal means of the state.

It's very important to talk about how it ends and it should not be "when everyone is free of consequences" - that will take years. World war 2 didn't end in 1955, it ended in 1945.
No one is ever consequence free in any aspect of life.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
A felt that before honestly and was wrong.
Some countries are lifting all measures.....happened before and never worked so far but I hope it does.
Let them show us the way without us gambling our healthcare system.

I don't think it means we need to gamble anything. Let's go step by step, prove each step.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Amen

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With the whole musicians pulling music away from Spotify, I found this image that made me laugh big time:

FKnJL0-XwAAIZN6

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
That's my point - I just have a sense that some will want long-term emergency management and they will justify it by continuing consequences.
I'm sure some will similar to those that just want everything wide open. It's finding a balance between the two that's key and over the past couple years, the experts overseeing the situation are being overruled by politicians. That's an unfortunate situation that has led to severe mismanagement.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

We can't know that. Omicron isn't normal antigenic drift. If it came directly from delta or something, this theory would hold the water, but it came out of nowhere. The next major variant could likely come from nowhere too, with its own features.

I think the reason to stay positive is the fact that vaccination coverage is getting better every day across the globe and also that Omicron is forcing immunity on a very large scale. The next variant, as you said will be an evasive mutant, but our B and T cells that we are accumulating collectively through vaccination or infection will provide a better and better protection against severe disease.

Glad the thread is back!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Definitely isn't over given the cry for help from health care professionals across the country and many parts of the world. When they, not politicians, say things are getting significantly better, then things are getting better. Seems pretty straight forward to me but I know not everyone agrees
You won't hear that from them as they were already asking for a lot of help before Covid.
Our healthcare system has been struggling for a very long time, all Covid did was put a huge spotlight over it.

Reactions: MasterD and Deebs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You won't hear that from them as they were already asking for a lot of help before Covid.
Our healthcare system has been struggling for a very long time, all Covid did was put a huge spotlight over it.
Completely agree with this and it's a whole other can of worms that desperately needs to be addressed

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We can't know that. Omicron isn't normal antigenic drift. If it came directly from delta or something, this theory would hold the water, but it came out of nowhere. The next major variant could likely come from nowhere too, with its own features.

I think the reason to stay positive is the fact that vaccination coverage is getting better every day across the globe and also that Omicron is forcing immunity on a very large scale. The next variant, as you said will be an evasive mutant, but our B and T cells that we are accumulating collectively through vaccination or infection will provide a better and better protection against severe disease.

Glad the thread is back!

It could, we could have another jumper. That being said, it would have to be more transmissible than the antigenic drift of omicron, and that's what I'm saying - Omicon is in the mumps/measles leagues of transmission, at some point there is a limit to increases in transmission and there are no more opening for even a jumper (from Deers or something like that).

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
It could, we could have another jumper. That being said, it would have to be more transmissible than the antigenic drift of omicron, and that's what I'm saying - Omicon is in the mumps/measles leagues of transmission, at some point there is a limit to increases in transmission and there are no more opening for even a jumper (from Deers or something like that).

Actually :teach2:

Omicron has the same transmission potential from individuals as Delta (R0) as far as initial research is concerned. But the incubation period is so much quicker (average of 3 days), that more individual start spreading the f***er faster.

Gonna bring back the pedantic shit in here! :handclap:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Omicron has the same transmission potential from individuals as Delta (R0) as far as initial research is concerned. But the incubation period is so much quicker (average of 3 days), that more individual start spreading the f***er faster.

And isn't omicron ba.2 roughly 2x more transmissible than ba.1?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Do it haha <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad