OT: Covid-19 (Part 57) Grand Re-Re-Re-Opening Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
And isn't omicron ba.2 roughly 2x more transmissible than ba.1?

Oh yeah, forgot about that thing.

I am submerged with work and family stuff right now so I haven't really been paying much attention for the past week or two.

But you are right it's apparently more transmissible. It will be interesting to learn why/how.

Reactions: Deebs

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't think it means we need to gamble anything. Let's go step by step, prove each step.

But the end results should be the same in the end.
I looked at lot at Denmark since they were one of the first for many things including dropping measure.
So far it's not conclusive

FKrkuoUVcAEwjCd

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Oh yeah, forgot about that thing.

I am submerged with work and family stuff right now so I haven't really been paying much attention for the past week or two.

But you are right it's apparently more transmissible. It will be interesting to learn why/how.

Weren't you supposed to give us a drunken post? Where is it? :rant:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Weren't you supposed to give us a drunken post? Where is it? :rant:

:laugh:

Thread was closed! I don't drink during the week!

You'll have to to wait.

I am hesitant about the topic though... Virus and immunological behaviours or general truck mechanical maintenance? :confused:

Reactions: the and Theran189

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
You won't hear that from them as they were already asking for a lot of help before Covid.
Our healthcare system has been struggling for a very long time, all Covid did was put a huge spotlight over it.

It didn't overload the hospitals or anything, right? The hospitals need help but covid is a problem on its own.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I felt that before honestly and was wrong.
Some countries are lifting all measures.....happened before and never worked so far but I hope it does.
Let them show us the way without us gambling our healthcare system.

Definitely. Sweden was the control group for the first wave, unofficial suggestions, no lockdown, though they changed their minds a few months in. We can watch and learn.

With omicron it looks like the lockdown measures don't work as well, and it's propagating anyway. So far measures are just to slow things a bit so the hospitals can cope. Hospital stays are usually shorter, and there are fewer based on the number of cases, especially among vaccinated people.

There are op-ed pages going on about how the US health system is doing better than Canada, but it's not supported by the stats. US hospitals are overloaded as well, they have far more patients and deaths, absolute and per capita, and the hospitals are not able to cope. The US has multiple problems: low vaccination, resistance to masking and distancing, high levels of obesity, and an aging population. They aren't having an easy time, and per capita deaths are triple those in Canada.

There are still more hospitalizations of unvaccinated people even with omicron and it's greater ability to evade the vaccine. Stats show that unvaccinated people make worse health decisions in non-covid areas as well, and I suppose that could be contributing.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Denmark dropped all measures once 60% of its overall population was boosted. Quebec is only at 38% and vaccination is slowing down a lot.
Gonna be interesting to see where we go from here.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It feels like the last few days of the pandemic, are you guys feeling it?

Definitely. Seems like they found that the boosters both protect against infection and spread of the latest variant and basically will let the unvaccinated sort it out themselves.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
No one here probably follows 6ix.buzz cause you’re not from the 6ix (feel lame af saying that sorry) but their last post showing a convoy protester talking to an anti-convoy protester is enough to warm the heart. Something about seeing civility person to person irl, it almost feels like a lost art, but it’s something that needs to come back.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
No one here probably follows 6ix.buzz cause you’re not from the 6ix (feel lame af saying that sorry) but their last post showing a convoy protester talking to an anti-convoy protester is enough to warm the heart. Something about seeing civility person to person irl, it almost feels like a lost art, but it’s something that needs to come back.

Gonna need Waffledave and Behindthetimes to get togethers for a few pints and share a pic with us. Hfboards version.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Gonna need Waffledave and Behindthetimes to get togethers for a few pints and share a pic with us. Hfboards version.
Ahahah once the dust settles for sure. I wouldn’t recommend rushing into things which could have disastrous consequences. I will drink blood from the chalice of Satan with my boy @Spring in Fialta, as a gesture of my eloquence and good will.

Reactions: dinodebino

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Add them to the list of countries now shifting to this frame of mind.

We can’t be far behind
They boosted 40% of their population in 3 weeks.
Denmark is at 60%
While here vaccination is slowly down and it seems we gonna peak around 45% boosted at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad