OT: Covid-19 (Part 43) Let 'em in

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Had my second dose Wednesday evening. Started feeling like shit a good 20 hours after. Still haven't recovered 41 hours later.
Sounds like my first dose, which was my second contact with COVID. First 24 ish hours were ok, then had a good 36 hours where it felt like my covid symptoms but lighter. Then got better. Hang in there, should be over soon. Keep hydrating.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
There are many places around the world with over 50% vaccinated and none of them have zero covid. Where did you get this nonsense?
The ******* province next to Quebec has had several outbreaks of covid. as have the other Maritime Provinces and with 0% vaccinated they were able to eradicate the covid-19.

We didn't need a 50% vaccination rate but with a 50% vaccination rate it would of been easier.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Looks like fully vaxxed Canadians do not need to do a test or quarantine when coming back home from travelling starting on Monday! I got vaxxed last Sunday so if the series goes to 7. I might just fly down to Tampa!

Reactions: MasterD

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
They don't "want you to", but it's probably going to be required to travel internationally.

Also got my 2nd dose (3rd, as I had COVID last year) on Wednesday. Woke up yesterday feeling like a train ran me over. Huge fever, shivers, super fatigue... Worse than when I had my "1st" dose, which had felt like COVID-LITE. Only lasted 12 hours though.
Wonder if it would be equivalent to a person who didnt get covid getting a third shot. Everyone I know that received the 2nd Pfizer shot has only had headache, mild fatigue and a sore arm.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Wonder if it would be equivalent to a person who didnt get covid getting a third shot. Everyone I know that received the 2nd Pfizer shot has only had headache, mild fatigue and a sore arm.
It's what they're saying, yes.

I've heard that Moderna has slightly more side effects than Pfizer, too.

Reactions: Perrah

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The ******* province next to Quebec has had several outbreaks of covid. as have the other Maritime Provinces and with 0% vaccinated they were able to eradicate the covid-19.

We didn't need a 50% vaccination rate but with a 50% vaccination rate it would of been easier.

Man you can't compare a province that had a city with 4 million people to the sticks.

Reactions: dinodebino

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Had my 1st dose the other day only had a sore shoulder. Not much of anything else but then again i have backache and headaches everyday from my normal job so wouldnt notice anyways

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Sounds like my first dose, which was my second contact with COVID. First 24 ish hours were ok, then had a good 36 hours where it felt like my covid symptoms but lighter. Then got better. Hang in there, should be over soon. Keep hydrating.
Hanging in there for sure, no choice. I'm going with friends to the Cage Aux Sports next to the Bell Center in a few hours.
I hope they win :(

Reactions: MasterD

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Looks like fully vaxxed Canadians do not need to do a test or quarantine when coming back home from travelling starting on Monday! I got vaxxed last Sunday so if the series goes to 7. I might just fly down to Tampa!

There is a waiting period after the 2nd shot before someone is considered fully vaccinated.

I think it's two weeks but don't quote me on that.

That's probably something I will ask tommorow when I go for my shot.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
There is a waiting period after the 2nd shot before someone is considered fully vaccinated.

I think it's two weeks but don't quote me on that.

That's probably something I will ask tommorow when I go for my shot.
Yeah exactly. The Monday following the game is my 15th day so I should be good. Plus if I do fly down, I might stay a couple extra days. 1st shot takes 21 days to be effective. 2nd takes 14.

Reactions: Revansky

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

With zero percent vaccination, you don't eradicate covid, you're just delaying the inevitable. Take australia for example. They had effectively stamped out the virus out of their population, but with a 5% vaccination rate, the virus has been reintroduced, and their most populous city in Sydney is currently under lockdown.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
With zero percent vaccination, you don't eradicate covid, you're just delaying the inevitable. Take australia for example. They had effectively stamped out the virus out of their population, but with a 5% vaccination rate, the virus has been reintroduced, and their most populous city in Sydney is currently under lockdown.
I was replying to a poster who was 'pushing his propaganda' and he's not interested in real world examples that don't jive with his narrative and this time it's because it involves people from 'the sticks'. Next time, it will be some other excuse.

The fact is a double dose of vaccine has an 80% - 90 % efficacy rate. Now, if you start going to hockey games, concerts, gyms and bars, etc. you aren't going to be any safer then unvaccinated people who aren't doing those high risk activities.

You are going to be 'safe' he says but then again if you are under 50, not morbidly obese or have co-morbidity you are most likely going to be okay, irregardless.

We need to get covid to zero and that will happen, whether people are or aren't double vaccinated. Covid cases have gone from 8.000 a day 2 months ago to around 500 a day. The number of cases have been going down with single vaccinations for the most part.

If people want to be double vaccinated, go for it or if people want to leave a perfectly safe country and come back should double vaccinate, same with people who want to enter our country.

Let's look at my math
15% have had covid
10% need or should get double vaccinations
50% get vaccinated

Once we get covid cases to zero that should be enough to stop covid or at the very least prevent any major outbreaks.

There haven't been vaccines until recently, that is why I used the 0% number, something I'm not advocating for.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was replying to a poster who was 'pushing his propaganda' and he's not interested in real world examples that don't jive with his narrative and this time it's because it involves people from 'the sticks'. Next time, it will be some other excuse.

The fact is a double dose of vaccine has an 80% - 90 % efficacy rate. Now, if you start going to hockey games, concerts, gyms and bars, etc. you aren't going to be any safer then unvaccinated people who aren't doing those high risk activities.

You are going to be 'safe' he says but then again if you are under 50, not morbidly obese or have co-morbidity you are most likely going to be okay, irregardless.

We need to get covid to zero and that will happen, whether people are or aren't double vaccinated. Covid cases have gone from 8.000 a day 2 months ago to around 500 a day. The number of cases have been going down with single vaccinations for the most part.

If people want to be double vaccinated, go for it or if people want to leave a perfectly safe country and come back should double vaccinate, same with people who want to enter our country.

Let's look at my math
15% have had covid
10% need or should get double vaccinations
50% get vaccinated

Once we get covid cases to zero that should be enough to stop covid or at the very least prevent any major outbreaks.

There haven't been vaccines until recently, that is why I used the 0% number, something I'm not advocating for.

I don't think the covid cases will reach zero in society, at least not for a long time, but what it should do is help ensure the healthcare system can manage those severe cases that do occur, and not risk becoming overburdened.

My understanding is that the vaccine is highly effective at preventing the most adverse effects, but that doesn't mean that you can't become a carrier, and as restrictions ease off, especially for travelling, there will theoretically be more potential carriers, so I think unvaccibated people are actually more vulnerable than the vaccinated.

UK has had their covid surge to February levels despite 42% vaccination at the time, and it was determined that the spike was caused by the delta variant being caught by those who were unvaccinated.

Im just saying that based on 1st dose vaccinations in Canada, I think its a good sign that our population has reacted positively to getting vaccinated, and it will bode well for us as a society when its all said and done.

If we can keep the delta variant numbers low while the vaccination process shakes out, we should be in a very good spot.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think the covid cases will reach zero in society, at least not for a long time, but what it should do is help ensure the healthcare system can manage those severe cases that do occur, and not risk becoming overburdened.

My understanding is that the vaccine is highly effective at preventing the most adverse effects, but that doesn't mean that you can't become a carrier, and as restrictions ease off, especially for travelling, there will theoretically be more potential carriers, so I think unvaccibated people are actually more vulnerable than the vaccinated.

UK has had their covid surge to February levels despite 42% vaccination at the time, and it was determined that the spike was caused by the delta variant being caught by those who were unvaccinated.

Im just saying that based on 1st dose vaccinations in Canada, I think its a good sign that our population has reacted positively to getting vaccinated, and it will bode well for us as a society when its all said and done.

If we can keep the delta variant numbers low while the vaccination process shakes out, we should be in a very good spot.
Once you get the numbers of covid cases down you can began to doing contact tracing. Which means, everyone who has covid gets everyone they had contact with to be tested or are ordered to quarantine.

Now, in conjunction with that what they are doing is where there is an outbreak they get everyone in that area vaccinated. They will crush this spread.

You stop the spread quite quickly this way once you get the numbers down. Thus has been happening in Eastern Canada for the past 1 1/2 years. It works.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Once you get the numbers of covid cases down you can began to doing contact tracing. Which means, everyone who has covid gets everyone they had contact with to be tested or are ordered to quarantine.

Now, in conjunction with that what they are doing is where there is an outbreak they get everyone in that area vaccinated. They will crush this spread.

You stop the spread quite quickly this way once you get the numbers down. Thus has been happening in Eastern Canada for the past 1 1/2 years. It works.

Lot easier to do in Eastern Canada.

All of Eastern Canada combined has a smaller population than the Montreal urban area, but in a much larger territory.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Lot easier to do in Eastern Canada.

All of Eastern Canada combined has a smaller population than the Montreal urban area, but in a much larger territory.
This is what health officials did to stop the spread of covid in their area. And it worked.

And the one thing they learned is that getting covid to zero is the most important thing.

Once that is accomplished, you can control any outbreaks.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
This is what health officials did to stop the spread of covid in their area. And it worked.

And the one thing they learned is that getting covid to zero is the most important thing.

The Atlantic provinces are ridiculously above the national average (18%) for the proportion of the population living in rural area:
N.L.: 41%
P.E.I: 53%
N.S.: 43%
N.B.: 48%

Keeping the spread in check in the village wasn't an issue for anyone in the last 20 months.
In urban area, especially in the large one, the spread will quickly outpace the capacity to do proper contact tracing.

Contact tracing is just a tool we have, not a bad one by any mean, but it's not the solution to the problem.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Again, it's incredibly easier in Eastern Canada than Montreal.

Less contacts, less density, less outside people coming in...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Atlantic provinces are ridiculously above the national average (18%) for the proportion of the population living in rural area:
N.L.: 41%
P.E.I: 53%
N.S.: 43%
N.B.: 48%

Keeping the spread in check in the village wasn't an issue for anyone in the last 20 months.
In urban area, especially in the large one, the spread will quickly outpace the capacity to do proper contact tracing.

Contact tracing is just a tool we have, not a bad one by any mean, but it's not the solution to the problem.

Would probably work if done the South Korea way, but that wouldn't pass here.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Would probably work if done the South Korea way, but that wouldn't pass here.

Well sure, they do digital tracking. In Canada people can't be bothered to enter a 8 digits number in the covid app to do basic close contact tracing. :laugh:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well sure, they do digital tracking. In Canada people can't be bothered to enter a 8 digits number in the covid app to do basic close contact tracing. :laugh:

It's not the people doing it though, it's the government using the phone GPS, credit card info and security cameras to contact trace.

No way people agree to that here with their fear of big governments.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's not the people doing it though, it's the government using the phone GPS, credit card info and security cameras to contact trace.

I know, that's why I said digital tracking and not tracing.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Either covid goes to zero or there will be lockdowns. I don’t see the government going along with any other plan.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Either covid goes to zero or there will be lockdowns. I don’t see the government going along with any other plan.

Covid zero will not happen. There will be cases every year from now on, just no big outbreaks (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad