OT: Covid-19 (Part 42) All Night Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It’s a weird flex to call us wacky and ignore their death toll. Over half a mil Americans died and were the wacky ones.

It's a cultural thing. Americans care far less about the lives of people that they don't know or care about.

As long as they aren't the ones being affected, they'll see any attempt at helping society as a whole as a hindrance on their own personal convenience.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

People need to know the context of his post. Go dig into this guy's Twitter account. He probably got barred from driving up to Mtl for a religious gathering. The hassidic community has been pretty vocal about its opposition to the sanitary measures in Mtl. I mean, that's a known fact.

So his post has zero credibility because of Major bias.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
People need to know the context of his post. Go dig into this guy's Twitter account. He probably got barred from driving up to Mtl for a religious gathering. The hassidic community has been pretty vocal about its opposition to the sanitary measures in Mtl. I mean, that's a known fact.

So his tweet is not accurate because of "context" and his other "bias". Weird.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013

The fact he writes Covid-19 in quotation marks tells you all you really need to know.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Wtv Quebec is doing is working. All you gotta do is look at Ontario and Alberta. I hate the measures but one last month of head down living is gonna allow us to have some normalcy this summer.
Alberta is on a path to ruin their summer if they keep going this way. It can easily become our India. Their numbers are nasty and they are having mass gatherings and rodeos.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Texas and Florida were in denial of the problem last year and became total shitshows. They're not a model anyone should follow. I'm glad the vaccine has solved the problem, but it's despite how they were governed, not because of it.
But California and other states that totally shut down economies had worse outcomes.

Covid gave some governors an opportunity to flex and using their own version of science as cover.

It was shown to be a false narrative. Some people accept being controlled out of fear. It works.

Economic death to many were far worse than any risk of Covid. It will never be able to be measured in the same extent.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
So his tweet is not accurate because of "context" and his other "bias". Weird.
Not weird. I seldom take tweets at face value because of bias. Twitter is best for news. For opinions like his or others, I don't really care. It's all noise. Sorry.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wtv Quebec is doing is working. All you gotta do is look at Ontario and Alberta. I hate the measures but one last month of head down living is gonna allow us to have some normalcy this summer.
Alberta is on a path to ruin their summer if they keep going this way. It can easily become our India. Their numbers are nasty and they are having mass gatherings and rodeos.

Yeah, as someone in Ontario I would agree that Quebec definitely did a better job from Christmas onward.

Unfortunately a lot of the younger population (teens to mid 20s) in Ontario have completely ignored the lockdowns of late. I’m in my mid 30s but I have some friends in their mid 20s thru work and mutual interests and it’s a shame how non-chalant they are.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not weird. I seldom take tweets at face value because of bias. Twitter is best for news. For opinions like his or others, I don't really care. It's all noise. Sorry.
you''re engaging in a personal attack on the person when we're talking about the subject in question.

Common tactic.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
you''re engaging in a personal attack on the person when we're talking about the subject in question.

Common tactic.
Attack on you? Not a all! You brought up a tweet and I said that the guy brings nothing to the table except his opinion. I seldom attack posters on this forum. If you've posted for while, you should know this.

There is an underlying context to his tweet. Like others on both sides. So that's why I never take opinions at face value on Twitter. For me, Twitter is a great way to get the latest breaking news. Opinions on all sides don't interest me on Twitter.

Even on this thread, I try to stay out of the political debates.

I can't figure out why you think I'm attacking you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXD

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The vaccine clearly has had a beneficial impact. The last numbers I saw here in the USA is 38 percent of people have natural immunity and combine that with the vaccination roll out and we have a degree of herd immunity. Deaths and hospitalizations are way down, at my large hospital we only have a few COVID patients now (just months ago we had around 200). Covid will now be like a nuisance more than anything. The fact that some states /countries are locked down and hurting people in other ways (economics/depression/suicide/drugs/alcohol) .Do they want to achieve perfection before they release their grip on people? I cant believe when people allow themselves to be controlled to this degree. Texas and Florida are examples of how to do it right, along with Arizona here. We are living normally now pretty much.
I think Arizona did a good job, TBH. If there was a state during this winter where I would have lived (aside from the tarantulas and the scorpions hehehe), is your state.

My bother owns a house in Florida, and although he's anti mask, sanitary measures, etc. he too thought Florida wasn't handled great everywhere.

His business suffered a lot because of Covid. Lost 40 pcent of his revenues. So he would concur with your post for sure.

And you're right : perfection will never be attained. As long as the health system is OK, I believe it should be good to open up.

Last fall, some US states were in bad shape. Not the case anymore. I hope our central govnmt got the lesson : stop relying on importations for our basic needs. Let's learn from this. If Pfizer or any other co. still had installations here, we'd probably be more like Israel today.

Reactions: azcanuck

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Had the jab on Wednesday, sore arm for 2 days and nothing else... until I drank a beer last night. Very tired today, can barely keep my eyes open.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Had the jab on Wednesday, sore arm for 2 days and nothing else... until I drank a beer last night. Very tired today, can barely keep my eyes open.
... Noted. Very relevant piece of info, even if your situation may have absolutely nothing to do with the beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad