OT: Covid-19 (Part 28) Stop Making Sense (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Still surprisingly low cases right now. Last I saw was 260-ish.

Right but they think it can be more because these people unless they get really sick might not want to admit they got due to their politics etc. At least I heard some journalists speculating about that.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't believe people still going out knowing they got a positive diagnosis. Makes no sense. We had cases or 2 of people at my work coming in knowing they tested positive

Did they get disciplined? Should be fired on the spot for knowingly endangering the lives of others otherwise, they are not the only ones there is something wrong with. Just look at how management chooses to handle the situation. I would not want to work at any company that does not protect its workers’ health.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unless there are very concrete mitigating factors, they should be fired. Any idea what excuse they had?

What mitigating circumstance could there possibly be when someone knowingly shows up at work while having contracted Covid and choosing not to quarantine and not to inform their employer? Interacting with co-workers, putting them at risk and by extension, their families?

In this case, knowledge is the deciding factor. It's not as if someone outside the building threatened them at gun point and ordered them to be super spreaders at their place of work.

Also, people like this ought to be reported to the authorities on top of losing their jobs.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Laurie Garrett is one of the few very sharp people I would trust completely when it comes to Covid and vaccines:

A good reference point about when to get the vaccine is finding out when Garrett herself is getting it. She's on the ball.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The pitfalls of a hurried vaccine -- those who don't know history, well ...

But fast-tracking the vaccine for broad distribution among the public carried risks. Of the 45 million vaccinated against the swine flu, an estimated 450 people developed the paralyzing syndrome Guillain-Barré and of those, more than 30 died. The National Academy of Medicine subsequently concluded that people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine had an increased risk for developing Guillain-Barré.

The emergence of Guillain-Barré led the government to suspend and effectively end its mass vaccination effort in December (1976).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, what's the game plan?

The province had 1,398 active cases as of Tuesday with 164 new infections. Both Kenney and Hinshaw have said the risk of spread in schools has to be balanced against the significant harms of keeping kids home indefinitely.

Yeah but what about the significant harm of children becoming carriers and spreading it at home? What a quagmire.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne, Australia is on lockdown. Of course, you'll always find covidiots trying to skirt the law:

Is there anything more Aussie than this:

A man caught hiding in the bushes from police after going to a mate’s place to watch the footy was among the Melburnians fined for breaking virus restrictions on Friday.

A total of 195 people were fined in the 24 hours to 8am on Saturday for breaking the state’s stage four lockdown orders.

A Victoria Police spokesperson said two men and a woman were found at a home in Boroondara having drinks and watching the football.
“The resident attempted to hide the visitors letting them try and flee over a back fence,” police said in a statement.

Boroondara? What a cool name.

Boofheads. :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The pitfalls of a hurried vaccine -- those who don't know history, well ...

But fast-tracking the vaccine for broad distribution among the public carried risks. Of the 45 million vaccinated against the swine flu, an estimated 450 people developed the paralyzing syndrome Guillain-Barré and of those, more than 30 died. The National Academy of Medicine subsequently concluded that people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine had an increased risk for developing Guillain-Barré.

The emergence of Guillain-Barré led the government to suspend and effectively end its mass vaccination effort in December (1976).

It almost feel like Jonestown on a bigger scale.....but then again, I think it's just the GOP trying to gain some vote by announcing it (not sure they will be able to put it out there before the phase 3 trials even if they wanted to)

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What mitigating circumstance could there possibly be when someone knowingly shows up at work while having contracted Covid and choosing not to quarantine and not to inform their employer? Interacting with co-workers, putting them at risk and by extension, their families?

In this case, knowledge is the deciding factor. It's not as if someone outside the building threatened them at gun point and ordered to be super spreaders at their place of work.

Also, people like this ought to be reported to the authorities on top of losing their jobs.
My gut reaction is anyone who knowingly shows up having tested positive should be fired and arrested. Because, like you, I'm imagining someone who didn't give a damn about making everyone around him sick. But what if they showed up after hours to pick something up when the office was empty, and then left; or they showed up after testing positive 12 days ago? There are degrees of dumb, dumber, and dangerous. Impossible to say how criminal it is until you know what happened.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Did they get disciplined? Should be fired on the spot for knowingly endangering the lives of others otherwise, they are not the only ones there is something wrong with. Just look at how management chooses to handle the situation. I would not want to work at any company that does not protect its workers’ health.
Yeah there is definitely a suspension happening if its not a termination.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My gut reaction is anyone who knowingly shows up having tested positive should be fired and arrested. Because, like you, I'm imagining someone who didn't give a damn about making everyone around him sick. But what if they showed up after hours to pick something up when the office was empty, and then left; or they showed up after testing positive 12 days ago? There are degrees of dumb, dumber, and dangerous. Impossible to say how criminal it is until you know what happened.

We know that Covid survives to varying degrees depending on surfaces. So even if they show up at work when no one’s there, they are creating a risk that can be avoided.

Also, it’s common knowledge that the minimum self-quarantine delay is 14 days, not 12. These employees knew they had Covid, it’s their responsibility to follow protocols since not doing so can cause others to get infected, spread it to others and possibly die. It’s just too much of a grave consequence to have such acts eroded by mitigation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah there is definitely a suspension happening if its not a termination.

Did they show up at work on a regular shift while everyone was there? How did it get found out that they had Covid and that they knew they had it?

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Did they show up at work on a regular shift while everyone was there? How did it get found out that they had Covid and that they knew they had it?
Yeah showed up like normal. I think he showed symptoms and someone informed our security team who isolated him and sent him to our medical team. He probably ended up coming clean about his daughter.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah showed up like normal. I think he showed symptoms and someone informed our security team who isolated him and sent him to our medical team. He probably ended up coming clean about his daughter.

What a selfish and careless individual. People like him are unfortunately in large supply.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We know that Covid survives to varying degrees depending on surfaces. So even if they show up at work when no one’s there, they are creating a risk that can be avoided.

Also, it’s common knowledge that the minimum self-quarantine delay is 14 days, not 12. These employees knew they had Covid, it’s their responsibility to follow protocols since not doing so can cause others to get infected, spread it to others and possibly die. It’s just too much of a grave consequence to have such acts eroded by mitigation.
Agreed. I'm just pointing out that there are degrees of risk. My friend works in a chem lab in an admin position, away from the actual researchers. In June, her colleague tested positive and his boss allowed him back after 12 days (that's why I used that example). The colleague works alone in an isolated area. Risk? Sure. But nobody there had a problem with it, given the circumstances.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This is clearcut idiocy. Unlike my example above, there was no communication or grey area. This was one guy deciding for himself to not give a damn.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 6.02.10 PM.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed. I'm just pointing out that there are degrees of risk. My friend works in a chem lab in an admin position, away from the actual researchers. In June, her colleague tested positive and his boss allowed him back after 12 days (that's why I used that example). The colleague works alone in an isolated area. Risk? Sure. But nobody there had a problem with it, given the circumstances.

I wouldn't consider it mitigation when you're dealing with exceptional circumstances dictated by remote and isolated working areas and where an employee is not knowingly exposing others to Covid.

We know how places like that have limited resources and personnel, so allowances are more easily made for them -- them living in less populated areas where people are geographically distanced as a normal way of life, gives them special privileges. We can't possibly be looking to them as a precedent for what we live through in densely populated areas and workplaces that typically house a multitude of employees.

Also, even in those places, if an employee knows that he poses a Covid risk and does not immediately take action and chooses to put co-workers at risk, there can be no mitigation in my view. It's a strict liability outcome when one is acting knowingly and could have prevented a serious risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad