OT: Covid-19 (Part 27) Be safe out there (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Im not much of a skier, but without tourists, its more affordable for us locals to do stuff - 18 day tour of the south island coming up in November!

Cant wait to do the queenstown cycle trail!

Queenstown is very nice,top tourist spot in NZ judging from the hoards of internationals whenever I've been there. A lot to see and do around those parts,Milford on the list? Only skied one time in an October visit and it was still great,limited runs but nice weather and then a little golf in the afternoon and then a superb dinner at the Treehouse,not sure if it's still in operation though.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Were you in Aussie Angus? (Going off the name here!)

How are you coping with covid? Heard yesterday listening in to the footy one of the states is now making those coming in from overseas into quarantine to foot the bill themselves - i agree with this. They have had months to return and chose to stay overseas

Reactions: angusyoung

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

f***

Mod: reminder that the blm/police/statues stuff is now off-limit as announced in the last thread. Only political discussion allowed is regarding Covid response.

Precisely why I don’t think there will or ever could be a season played out and a cup awarded. This isn’t getting better anytime soon.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
UFC is doing just fine and has been open for a while so sports can happen but it depends how disciplined and restrictive the system is.

If players basically live at the hotel/arena and everyone is tested in that vacuum then no problem. As soon as players, staff, etc... start to go out and mingle with people there is a risk.

Testing needs to be rigorous and unlike other sports like the UFC if you're tested you could've already infected your entire team. That's why they'd have to put players on lockdown...unsure if that would work or what the policies are right now.

UFC is one on one, hockey is 40 players cycling at 6 vs 6. Bad example.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes. The fact they're an island definitely helped them out. But I think most of it has to do with their approach to it.

We should make a water bucket challenge to explain population density to people.

So, let's say we have the Stockholm bucket on the right and the Auckland bucket on the left, both filled to the rim.

Now, I'm gonna poke one hole per 1000 population per square kilometer and the challenge is to block the holes with their fingers. Last bucket with water in it wins. Oh, and since Stockholm has double the population of Auckland, they have have two people blocking holes and Auckland only has one.

So, Stockholm, 13000 pop per km², so 13 holes, 4 hands to block them all. Auckland, 2000 ppkm², 2 holes, 2 hands to block them all.

Easy to figure out who will win. Auckland will look like champions at blocking hole.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

How are you coping with covid? Heard yesterday listening in to the footy one of the states is now making those coming in from overseas into quarantine to foot the bill themselves - i agree with this. They have had months to return and chose to stay overseas

I think he's been in the Netherlands for awhile, no?

Reactions: angusyoung

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Being an island is a minor factor. Australia is an island, made poor decisions and its all kicking off again there now, especially in Victoria.

The Uk is an island, and the less said about their response the better.

It comes down to leadership, listening to the experts and not being afraid to make the tough calls over $$$ (hint hint Bettman!)

All the places you named have metropolitain areas that have far greater population density than Auckland. Australia has both Sidney and Melbourne who are both higher in pop density, while London is just no competition. Both countries also have much more commercial and public voyagers that come in and put of the country at a far higher rate.

New Zealand did great, but it would be a real farce if they didnt, as they have one of the most ideals situations to stop a spread.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I have been there a few times,not recently though. It did start ok there but things have not gone well of late.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-7-13_12-1-14.png

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
UFC is doing just fine and has been open for a while so sports can happen but it depends how disciplined and restrictive the system is.

If players basically live at the hotel/arena and everyone is tested in that vacuum then no problem. As soon as players, staff, etc... start to go out and mingle with people there is a risk.

Testing needs to be rigorous and unlike other sports like the UFC if you're tested you could've already infected your entire team. That's why they'd have to put players on lockdown...unsure if that would work or what the policies are right now.
They will be going out. All these families/players arent going to be kept inside the hotel like they're under house arrest.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal (July 13th)

- CASES -
July 8th: 27,461 (+23)
July 9th: 27,497 (+36)
July 10th: 27,529 (+32)
July 11th: 27,555 (+26)
July 12th: 27,603 (+48)
July 13th: 27,628 (+25)

- DEATHS -
July 8th: 3,415 (+2)
July 9th: 3,418 (+3)
July 10th: 3,418 (+0)
July 11th: 3,420 (+2)
July 12th: 3,423 (+3)
July 13th: 3,424 (+1)

Reactions: GoodKiwi

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The cases are increasing a bit lately BUT given the increase in testing I think it's pretty normal and actually encouraging since the percentage of positives per test remains about the same.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
All the places you named have metropolitain areas that have far greater population density than Auckland. Australia has both Sidney and Melbourne who are both higher in pop density, while London is just no competition. Both countries also have much more commercial and public voyagers that come in and put of the country at a far higher rate.

New Zealand did great, but it would be a real farce if they didnt, as they have one of the most ideals situations to stop a spread.
Fantastic Ozy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad