OT: Covid-19 (Part 27) Be safe out there (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Is this the first batch of tests for Habs players? Some players may have been infected a while ago (even several weeks) but still "dead" virus can test positive.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
How does that work then? The first game is August 1st....that's pretty much two weeks from today so...they quarantine and then, 3 day camp...then elimination round starts??
Lol...What a clusterf***. Such a stupid decisions.

I was just gonna make a similar comment asking this before reading yours.

Yup you're right. It's a huge cluster**** alright.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
There's no way this tournament finishes. No sports are gonna happen at this rate.
MLS is trying but their teams are dropping like flies. It'll be the same with every other league.

What happens when a team has an outbreak during the tournament? It's going to happen, and probably to several, if not all, teams.
The finals will end up being Columbus missing half their roster vs Arizona missing half theirs, and that's only because the other 22 teams had to drop out. It's ridiculous.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's no way this tournament finishes. No sports are gonna happen at this rate.
MLS is trying but their teams are dropping like flies. It'll be the same with every other league.

What happens when a team has an outbreak during the tournament? It's going to happen, and probably to several, if not all, teams.
The finals will end up being Columbus missing half their roster vs Arizona missing half theirs, and that's only because the other 22 teams had to drop out. It's ridiculous.

Only two teams have dropped out of MLS. The other 24 are still there and the tournament is in the process of completing Day 5. So they're not "dropping like flies."

Of course, it doesn't mean an outbreak won't happen. But to see 3 players test positive on one team doesn't doom the whole Play-In/Playoffs. And of course, the question still remains, the report may have come out tonight, but when were the positives discovered? Maybe it was a while ago and they were quarantined and then tested negative.

Tampa and St. Louis had multiple players/staff test positive. They shut down for a few days and they were all back.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
Only two teams have dropped out of MLS. The other 24 are still there and the tournament is in the process of completing Day 5. So they're not "dropping like flies."

Of course, it doesn't mean an outbreak won't happen. But to see 3 players test positive on one team doesn't doom the whole Play-In/Playoffs. And of course, the question still remains, the report may have come out tonight, but when were the positives discovered? Maybe it was a while ago and they were quarantined and then tested negative.

Tampa and St. Louis had multiple players/staff test positive. They shut down for a few days and they were all back.

Two teams dropping out before the end of day 5 is kind of a big deal.
Imagine Tampa and St. Louis drop out before the qualifying round is even done. And then three more drop out during Round 1...

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Two teams dropping out before the end of day 5 is kind of a big deal.

Two teams out of 26 isn't "dropping like flies" as you put it. That's what I was replying to. Dropping like flies implies several teams would be out.

Imagine Tampa and St. Louis drop out before the qualifying round is even done. And then three more drop out during Round 1...

Yes. It's possible there is an outbreak. I'm not expecting all tests to be negative. But they will have measures in place to handle those scenarios. If it starts pointing to getting out of hand, then I'm sure the NHL will be told to shut it down by their medical experts.

Also for what it's worth, I believe that once they're in the bubbles, teams won't be dropping out. They will be in a much safer environment than believed.

Reactions: DavePeak

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What do you mean ''otherwise''? You think players who get sick magically prevents others from injuries?
This isn't a covid vs injuries situation, it's covid + injuries.
Players will get injured as well, and probably at a higher rate considering how unprepared some will be.
You're not making a whole lot of sense here, not to mention, injuries aren't contagious..

It's not about going all out, it's more about finding the chemistry and your groove back, sharpening your reflexes, etc.

Covid lasts 2 weeks, injuries last longer.

At one point we had Price+Weber++ out LONG TERM. Not 1 week or two. These guys are testing during training camp, 3 weeks before season starts.

It is hardly the same concern in terms of lost players.

Yes players will not be game shape, especially the ones in quarantine during camp but guess what? Players come back from injury not in game shape all the time.

I would not throw out the entire playoffs because some players will be in better shape than others. This happens in a normal context anyway...

I WOULD throw the season out if players test AFTER training camp and games begin because the spread will be a mess. I just put a distinction between pre-start and after-start cases.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

UFC is doing just fine and has been open for a while so sports can happen but it depends how disciplined and restrictive the system is.

If players basically live at the hotel/arena and everyone is tested in that vacuum then no problem. As soon as players, staff, etc... start to go out and mingle with people there is a risk.

Testing needs to be rigorous and unlike other sports like the UFC if you're tested you could've already infected your entire team. That's why they'd have to put players on lockdown...unsure if that would work or what the policies are right now.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Covid lasts 2 weeks, injuries last longer.

At one point we had Price+Weber++ out LONG TERM. Not 1 week or two. These guys are testing during training camp, 3 weeks before season starts.

It is hardly the same concern in terms of lost players.

Yes players will not be game shape, especially the ones in quarantine during camp but guess what? Players come back from injury not in game shape all the time.

I would not throw out the entire playoffs because some players will be in better shape than others. This happens in a normal context anyway...

I WOULD throw the season out if players test AFTER training camp and games begin because the spread will be a mess. I just put a distinction between pre-start and after-start cases.

Again, I don't see your point. This is not about COVID vs Injuries.
One person on your team can lead to half your team being contaminated very quickly. Injuries will continue to happen regardless, and btw, not every injury is longer than 2 weeks.
But again, injuries aren't magically disappearing now. They will continue to happen.

The point is there's now a very contagious pandemic on top of it that, you know...forced the goddamn world to shutdown for months, hospitalized millions and killed over 500K people, and it's still very present.

It's dumb man. Anybody comparing the current situation to a normal season is completely bonkers, no offence.

Reactions: Habs178

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I voted that I didn't think that this tournament would happen, hmm, let's see if I am right.

Never really cared about the tournament and that makes several of us. The players' health and that of their families is so much more important at this point, quite evidently.

It's going to turn out that we won't even have the chance to lose that play-in, in peace. :sarcasm:

Reactions: OldCraig71

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Again, I don't see your point. This is not about COVID vs Injuries.
One person on your team can lead to half your team being contaminated very quickly. Injuries will continue to happen regardless, and btw, not every injury is longer than 2 weeks.
But again, injuries aren't magically disappearing now. They will continue to happen.

The point is there's now a very contagious pandemic on top of it that, you know...forced the goddamn world to shutdown for months, hospitalized millions and killed over 500K people, and it's still very present.

It's dumb man. Anybody comparing the current situation to a normal season is completely bonkers, no offence.

I addressed this when I said pre and post playoff start.

Pre means nothing as players aren't even in camp together.

Post means you have to shut playoffs down.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I addressed this when I said pre and post playoff start.

Pre means nothing as players aren't even in camp together.

Post means you have to shut playoffs down.
Camp starts tomorrow.
The season should have been canceled from the start, now you have some guys opting out, you have others who are going to miss pretty much the entire camp because they're positive, players have been out of commission for 4 months, they have a little 2 week training camp now, it's all a big joke.

How teams have injuries during a normal season is completely irrelevant.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Camp starts tomorrow.
The season should have been canceled from the start, now you have some guys opting out, you have others who are going to miss pretty much the entire camp because they're positive, players have been out of commission for 4 months, they have a little 2 week training camp now, it's all a big joke.

How teams have injuries during a normal season is completely irrelevant.

Canceling the season benefits who? The owners? The players?

None of them. You're not buying tickets, whats the big deal? It's their business.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Canceling the season benefits who? The owners? The players?

None of them. You're not buying tickets, whats the big deal? It's their business.
It puts players and families at potential risks and it becomes a farce.
I have no issues with innovation but players everywhere testing positive, a 2 week camp straight into an elimination round playing in empty arenas with 24 teams....after a 4 month hiatus.
Not only that, but it took away the draft and free agency, and next season will now most likely start in 2021.
I find it all silly.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was this already posted?

It was. But, you can never have enough Jacinda.

TWC7GkF.gif

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Congratulations to them being an island.

(and taking COVID more seriously than other government of course)

Being an island is a minor factor. Australia is an island, made poor decisions and its all kicking off again there now, especially in Victoria.

The Uk is an island, and the less said about their response the better.

It comes down to leadership, listening to the experts and not being afraid to make the tough calls over $$$ (hint hint Bettman!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad