OT: Covid-19 (Part 21) Come Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
My wife went to Costco tonight. They were giving out masks for people to.wear inside. Good initiative. People were putting them on and when inside the store...were taking them out. And no employee to warn them. See, this is my region today.

Reactions: llamateizer

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah it sucks and it's still at 60% no go for saturday / sunday.

Yes I saw that as well. After you posted about it I went straight to a live stream and had it on in the background while working, then when I started watching at lunch I heard it was canceled. :(

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
ACP Journals
"In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface."

Which might explain why so many health care workers keep getting infected.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For the 1st time since they outbreak appeared in the US, they are not the one leading the world in new cases.
Brazil has taken the 1st place yesterday.

For the 1st time since March 30th, Canada register less than 900 new cases.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010

It tell you a lot when a country/state miscounted death like that. How can you make an informed opinion or take action when you don’t have a clear picture.

I’m happy to live in Quebec just for that fact alone. We may not have the best number, but at least we can trust those number. So far using the excess death technique we are spot on.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
My wife went to Costco tonight. They were giving out masks for people to.wear inside. Good initiative. People were putting them on and when inside the store...were taking them out. And no employee to warn them. See, this is my region today.
but at the same time those humans don't want to be treated like kids by the government, but they need to be treated like kids to understand basic safety.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Who cares...? As it stands, they're far from that right now, so no, you don't have examples of countries who were hit like us and managed to bring their numbers down to zero...or 50.
And Germany wants to reopen borders to EU flights.

But not sure what your ''what will be your excuse'' comment is about anyways. I said there currently isn't a country that's been hit like us and managed to bring their numbers way way down to zero. It's a fact, not an excuse.
If Germany does it, and Saudi Arabia, and Chile, while our numbers don't drop, well then we will discuss things then. At this time it's pretty pointless.

What do you mean who cares? I care and so should you. The fact is that many countries were hit as hard as we were, but they did something about it while we did not. Now, we are worse. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't or we can't try. There are proven methods that bring numbers down, contain and isolate outbreaks.

And the excuse comment is because despite the fact that you keep saying you support test-trace-isolate and agree it is the best method to deal with this virus, you keep making excuses for this government and why it can't or won't happen here. I truly don't understand why people are so quick to just accept mediocrity and failure. I know you are sick of this whole thing but it isn't going to magically go away just because you're fed up.

Nobody is advocating to just keep waiting around for this to just get better somehow. You keep bringing up this point but I am honestly baffled at where you got it from. What we are doing is not good enough, we need to do more. This is not "waiting around." Building an army of contact tracers is not just waiting around.

There are dozens of countries that have managed to contain this thing, or at the very least have managed to contain it FAR better than in Quebec, and you just plug your ears pretending it isn't possible. Set some standards for your country man. We live in Canada, this is a developed nation with advanced technology that contributes to advancing medical science regularly. We should expert better.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ya they've improved, and they've reopened. Point was, countries are not waiting to hit 0 or close to it before reopening.

God damn man enough with your "waiting until zero" strawman crap. Nobody said this.

Test-trace-isolate. How many more times do I need to say this before you get it? You keep saying you agree but somewhere along the line communication is getting derailed here.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My bad, I should have specify....I always though when you compare you needed apple vs apple.

It’s all good when you want to find a way to do things better and share best practice.

But when you compare a country with 364k population with us...well. That why I said they only comparison good so far, is with Ontario.

You also need to factor our very strong link with the U.S. In anything, when thing go bad/good down there, we have some consequences.

Again, I know we could have done way better..but just like your were saying people were piggy pig for going outside because we knew so little about this virus....you should at least apply the same logic with the comparison game. Be cautious...there is a lot of factor...some we know, some we don’t.

Smaller countries have fewer resources. It is fair to include them because ultimately their population is proportional to the infrastructure they have.

The comparison is way more simple than you think.

All these countries managed to contain and isolate the outbreak with policies based on aggressive test-trace-isolate programs.

That's it! That's the biggest difference between them and us. We aren't doing what they are doing. We say we want to, we claim we will, but we aren't. We have not done it and we have done little to change it.

You want to compare, this is what you should be looking at. They have aggressive programs in place, they succeeded. We don't, and we failed.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Well, agree to disagree.

I think, the border aspect...is one of the biggest control over this pandemic.

But I guess this doesn't impact enough for you !

If you tell me you done research in detail...and found NZ, had roughly the same challenge early on...and closed the border in the same timelines we did...you would be right to compare us...but I have my doubts.

A full lockdown with enforced measures would have fixed the issue with the borders. You can't spread imported cases if you aren't leaving your house unless it's essential.

Not "Home Depot to buy plants" essential, or "Wal Mart to browse for new sheets" essential. Like, really actually essential.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It tell you a lot when a country/state miscounted death like that. How can you make an informed opinion or take action when you don’t have a clear picture.

I’m happy to live in Quebec just for that fact alone. We may not have the best number, but at least we can trust those number. So far using the excess death technique we are spot on.

It's great that we know exactly how many people are dying because of our inaction, half-measures and individual selfishness.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
"I can't breathe" Hell has erupted in Minneapolis, and elsewhere. Look out, people are MAD! It can only get worse for the USA.
It’s so sad. I can’t believe this is still happening all over the USA after years and years of civil rights movements. Will they ever do anything about it?!

Reactions: peate

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What do you mean who cares? I care and so should you. The fact is that many countries were hit as hard as we were, but they did something about it while we did not. Now, we are worse. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't or we can't try. There are proven methods that bring numbers down, contain and isolate outbreaks.
I don't care because Germany has already started reopening and yesterday they were around 650 cases...in Canada we were at 872. So whether or not Germany works its way down to 50 daily cases at some point is pretty irrelevant to the discussion.
Point is, most places, if not all, that have been hit hard don't wait until they're anywhere between 0-50 daily cases to reopen.
The numbers will keep dropping, there are periods where it will probably fluctuate back up, and then down, until eventually, hopefully, there are no more cases.
And the excuse comment is because despite the fact that you keep saying you support test-trace-isolate and agree it is the best method to deal with this virus, you keep making excuses for this government and why it can't or won't happen here. I truly don't understand why people are so quick to just accept mediocrity and failure. I know you are sick of this whole thing but it isn't going to magically go away just because you're fed up.
I have no idea what you're on about. I am all for test-trace-isolate, they've started doing it and yes, it's not perfect but it's a start.
This government has been mediocre at best in handling this crisis.
Nobody is advocating to just keep waiting around for this to just get better somehow. You keep bringing up this point but I am honestly baffled at where you got it from. What we are doing is not good enough, we need to do more. This is not "waiting around." Building an army of contact tracers is not just waiting around.
Right, and I'm all for it, but until then...what exactly are you suggesting? For people to stay in or to reopen?
There are dozens of countries that have managed to contain this thing, or at the very least have managed to contain it FAR better than in Quebec, and you just plug your ears pretending it isn't possible. Set some standards for your country man. We live in Canada, this is a developed nation with advanced technology that contributes to advancing medical science regularly. We should expert better.
I don't really get your point here...shall we go back in time?? You want to keep crying and bitching about the terrible response from the government indefinitely?
I've argued for mask from the very beginning, my GF sent me some from HK right away. I had N95 masks at home before nurses in hospitals it seems. Our government dropped the ball on many fronts.
We agree, so not sure what you're going on about.
God damn man enough with your "waiting until zero" strawman crap. Nobody said this.

Test-trace-isolate. How many more times do I need to say this before you get it? You keep saying you agree but somewhere along the line communication is getting derailed here.
Well you said ''almost to zero'' :
There are plenty of countries that have managed to reduce new cases to almost zero. It is very much possible, we just aren't capable to do that here for a number of reasons.
So ya...I assume that's a handful of cases. I was pointing out that no, there aren't ''plenty'' of countries that were hit as bad as us and waited for their cases back down to ''almost zero'' to reopen.

Nothing I said goes against test-trace-isolate...so again...not sure what you're on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad